Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#32703 - 02/22/05 03:05 PM Re: Speedin up my playing
ABA Offline

Loc: Nashville
Pokey__I think Lilla had the best advice. Do not underestimate the effectiveness of gradually increasing your speed of a particular piece by incremental adjustments using your metronome. You will find that with sufficient repetition, you will soon become very comfortable in playing that specific piece faster. Over time, this will help "speed up" your playing in general. But for now I would approach it on a set piece basis. Once you realize you have increased your tempo, this will be both exciting and gratifying. Good luck!

#32704 - 02/24/05 05:06 AM Re: Speedin up my playing
xstitch4me Offline
Star Member

Loc: Idaho
Amen, Amen, Amen and Amen to ABA....hehe. Just a little kidding. We know the site had some problems.

#32705 - 02/26/05 12:56 AM Re: Speedin up my playing
SWGuevin Offline
Contributing Member

Loc: Honolulu, HI
Another note. You may be playing with a heavy hand. Try playing the pieces as "lightly" as possible with a stacatto on the notes (not as written). Work to keep you hands and fingers moving deftly over the keyboard.

Another tip, work to memorize sections of the piece.

Most of us love to work with adult students. We are just so disappointed when they want to play instantly and aren't willing to commit to the same practice/play schedule imposed on the younger students or don't realize that it will take several years of real work before they realize their dreams!

Sounds like you are on your way to success and meeting your goals.

Best wishes,

Sheila

#32706 - 03/03/05 05:38 PM Re: Speedin up my playing
pokey Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Thanks for all your advice. I have been taking lessons for one year and can play at an intermediate level and just love it! Learning music has opened up my life like nothing else ever has. I can play Mozart's Sonata in C ..at least I can if I practice. I am playing a bit faster and love Faber's church music books. I am finding it lots easier to sight read than I used to. Don't give up on your adult students. We just learn differently and can improve!
What should I be practicing daily?
I am so impressed that teachers from all over take an interest in my playing. Thank You!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Archivist 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics