Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#32462 - 10/19/06 07:33 AM Rote Recommendations - Autistic Student
Lilla Offline
Star Member

Loc: Chicago
I have a very talented and high-functioning autistic student. For various reasons which I won't go into right now, I am going to focus on teaching him by rote for the near future. I would love to hear your best recommendations for pieces or material to use when teaching by rote. He plays well by letter, can play by MC notes but doesn't have confidence that he can read. He can quickly and easily transpose any short melody. He knows all his pentascales. We are working on developing a daily warm-up activity where he plays a pentascale, triads, arpeggios, tetrascales, and one-octave scales (he struggles here insisting on using his left hand to complete the final notes). Sooooo, what suggestions could you offer for the rote materials? Thanks.

P.S. Do you like my subject line? I'm trying to make it self-explanatory because I, too, hate not knowing what the heck the subject is until you open the message.

#32463 - 10/20/06 04:17 AM Re: Rote Recommendations - Autistic Student
Susan Offline
Star Member

Loc: Texas
I *do* like your subject line being self-explanatory.
How about the intervallic series that has come out of FJH. There are several levels. You might want to start with Book 1.
Gypsy Earrings is level 2 reading, but it can be taught by rote, at least the first page can.
Blue Windmills is level 1 1/2, but it sounds harder and can be taught by rote.

I can't think of anything else off hand, but if I do, I'll post again.

#32464 - 10/20/06 04:20 AM Re: Rote Recommendations - Autistic Student
Rhondo Offline
Resident Member

Loc: GA
Is this the Gypsy Earrings by Gillock you are referring to? What is the name of the FJH Intervallic series?

#32465 - 10/20/06 10:53 AM Re: Rote Recommendations - Autistic Student
Susan Offline
Star Member

Loc: Texas
Gypsy Earrings is by Bret Adams.
The FJH book is the Intervallic Reading Series. I actually posted this already, but for some reason it didn't make it on board.

#32466 - 10/23/06 07:40 AM Re: Rote Recommendations - Autistic Student
Lilla Offline
Star Member

Thanks for suggestions. Is the Intervallic series the "Be A Star" book? Or the "On Stage" book? I'm using both of those for other students and they are a huge hit. I have a primer student who is ripping right through "On Stage" - sometimes I think his mother helps him, but he is doing well when we preview the pieces. Very interesting how students learn in different ways. And he loves it.

For my autistic student - we were playing a game this week - kind of like pulling an activity card - and his card said to play with a CD. So I put one in from a previous book. Wow! I'd forgotten how well he picks up from the CD's. I must incorporate more of that into his lesson - He has just finished Hal Leonard Lesson Book 1 - and I did not use the CD. I may review it with him, or try the next book, this time with the CD.

Trying to teach him by rote is going very slowly. He's really not so interested in focusing on what we're doing. But if I can incorporate it with the CD's - maybe even with the music in front of him - which he'll pay attention to or not - I think I can get him re-inspired. One of the reasons I wanted to do rote is because he plays very well by ear - makes up all kinds of things, transposes at will, instinctively plays the correct patterns jumping right onto the black keys. But trying to teach him lines and spaces - forget it. Or to read the music - he can, but insists that he needs help. I just need to get him over this hump and I think it's more important that he plays, rather than by what method. Always a challenge.

#32467 - 10/23/06 05:43 PM Re: Rote Recommendations - Autistic Student
John Offline
Star Member

Loc: Bellingham, WA
Lilla, do you have any of Paul Sheftel's books? You'll find some patterned pieces, many were written with rote teaching in mind.

http://www.paulsheftel.com/publications/

#32468 - 10/24/06 07:34 AM Re: Rote Recommendations - Autistic Student
Lilla Offline
Star Member

John, I have an anthology-type by Paul Sheftel - and some pcs from the Celebration series. I suspect you're referring to a different type of book. I've seen some at the music store but never picked them up. Actually, I just made a note yesterday to look for patterned rep for another student. I'll check it out with an eye towards both students - thanks.

#32469 - 10/24/06 08:07 AM Re: Rote Recommendations - Autistic Student
John Offline
Star Member

Loc: Bellingham, WA
Some may be hard to find, you may find some in bargain bins and used books stores.

I'm esp. thinking of these:

Piano Patterns
Keyboard Challenges
Patterns for Fun
Merry & Mellow
Play's the Thing

#32470 - 10/31/06 08:03 AM Re: Rote Recommendations - Autistic Student
Lilla Offline
Star Member

Here's an update on my autistic student. The last few lessons have gone very well. We start out with "warm-ups" - (each week a different key going around the circle of 5ths) - as stated above - pentascales, triads, etc. This is to satisfy their need for routine, and to instill the patterns in his fingers and in his ear. That way when he makes up music or attempts to play, he will recognize many components of the music from his warm-ups.

I have made a very large change in his lessons where I now assign one piece of music per week. Actually, the past few weeks have been a Bastien pre-reading Halloween book. We have played every duet in the book satisfactorily. He now has a piece of sheet music to work on. I have written in certain note names only where he struggles. His mother tells me she places the music on the stand, but he never opens it. So the written note names are utilized only at his lesson. Interesting. He does play it. (In the past, I don't believe he even played it unless it happened to come to his ear. He never opened his folder of music.) He comes back showing progress and can usually play a duet ok.

At each lesson I spend time showing him something by rote. I'm still figuring out what to do with this. The past week I showed him a cool American Indian pc by Martha Mier, Ceremonial something. He liked the Indian sounds and played it well. We'll pick it up again next week and see if he can remember it. I suspect he will.

At the end of the lesson, I always ask him to play me something and it is usually a piece from his lesson book (such as Pianimals) that he plays by memory. I'm hoping to eventually hear something from rote - or composed. We'll see.

#32471 - 12/31/06 11:08 AM Re: Rote Recommendations - Autistic Student
Lilla Offline
Star Member

Another update - only because it may help some of the other posters with autistic students. My student is doing well with the warm-up exercises. We are now on C# Major/D flat Major. He readily plays the pentascales, triads, argpeggios. Tetrachords - although I always have to remind him to use only one hand at a time - right or left. And he can now play 1 octave scales - although, again, I have to remind him to use only one hand. This is a huge accomplishment in my view as one month ago he was unable to play a scale correctly. I'm going to continue around the circle of 5ths - but starting next week will begin introducing some harmonics. Playing the melody from easy pieces in his lesson book, but adding the LH a 3rd apart - or any other interval that he picks up on. He likes the interesting harmonies. I tried to read to him from a book I picked up about the philharmonic - because of something that came up in the lesson. Total bomb. I lost him within seconds. I have been working with him in a theory wookbook. Whenever his attention wanders. This is working well and for the first time he seemed to understand lines and spaces. But I'm not betting on it. This has been a huge struggle. We are working on simply *seeing* the difference in a line note and a space. I think he's getting it. I have him draw the notes on the whiteboard occasionally, but he often starts randomly drawing silly things. It's always interesting with these kids!! He can read simple pieces within MC position, but doesn't think he can. He always asks for help. He seems to not want to take the time to actually look. He would rather guess at the note. After all it only takes 3 or 4 guesses to get it. Anyway, I'm randomly talking here. Just interested in comparing notes. Does anyone have an autistic kid at a somewhat similar level? I'd love to exchange experience. Thanks - Happy Holidays, all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  aiinpst, Connie Wible, Jon, mka 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics