Topic Options
#28794 - 02/25/05 05:38 AM Re: samick brands of pianos
pianoannie Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: midwest USA
 Quote:
Originally posted by alidoremi:
[QUOTE]by Carole:
I think if I heard all the pianos my students had in their homes I'd be so depressed I'd quit teaching. :rolleyes:
:D \:D \:D

That was a coffee-spewing statement if ever I read one!

You made me laugh out loud. (which was probably not your intention). But then as I thought about it for a moment, it is sad to think about how hard some of my students work, yet nothing they play at home is ever going to really sound pretty. Oh, I know pianos are expensive, and I certainly don't expect everyone to go out and buy a $50K grand piano. But there is a happy medium--I wish that my students who are excited about piano could have a decent instrument.

#28795 - 02/25/05 09:00 PM Re: samick brands of pianos
Christine/Pelirroja Offline
Resident Member

Loc: CA, USA
I had a student ask me for info on a tuner/technician. She is one of my most hard working students, so I assumed her piano was in working order. After the tuner spent several trips to their house the mom had this to say to me, " Thank you so much for that number, xxxxx's playing has never sounded so good. Our piano hadn't been tuned since the early 1900s. We had 2 keys that wouldn't come back up, and the technician replaced all the white key tops, so it works and sounds so much better!" Well, I have to say my first reaction was that I was so glad for this talented/dedicated student. My second inward reaction was 1900S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I Know theirs is an heirloom but wow, I'm surprised she could even tell she was playing a song on it.

#28796 - 02/28/05 03:47 PM Re: samick brands of pianos
PFVTeach Offline
Resident Member

Loc: USA
I think sometimes parents go for "free" or "cheap" pianos because they don't want to lay out money into something better because its "for a child" or "we don't know if we'll stay with this very long" or whatever. I have a family I travel to with 6 children, 4 of which take lessons (the other 2 are way to young yet). They have a piano that looks like it was the ark! The legs are wobbly and ready to fall off, it has horrid sound from lack of maintainence, the pedals just klunk with no real effect and the bench scares me to let anyone sit on it because of the wobbliness. At one point they actually had one of the legs duct taped to keep it from wobbling. To be honest it's only good for firewood at this point. And they wonder why the piano sounds "horrible" compared to ones they use for performances. Why can parents not see that the quality of the instrument affects practice, sound and effort of the student? They don't all havet to spend a fortune(as I believe someone else said) but why can't they invest in something playable and with a better sound??? If they can't afford a decent instrument, why can they afford lessons? I don't think that plays out as a viable reason.

#28797 - 02/28/05 06:05 PM Re: samick brands of pianos
xstitch4me Offline
Star Member

Loc: Idaho
I have a family of three kids whom I teach and they've been with me for three years (this is the 4th) and they still play on a keyboard! It's not even a fancy one.....no 88 keys, no pedals etc. I feel it's really a hinderance to them because the oldest boy is VERY good yet he can't practice all the dynamics that go with music until he comes to his lesson. It's amazing he's gone as far as he has and he loves it! He loves classical music and when I watch him play, you can see the feeling he has for the music. I keep encouraging them to invest in a piano. At this point, he's going to stick with it for all of his life. They get so disappointed when they hear how their songs can sound on a real piano. I honestly think with this family it's a matter of finances. I'm just glad they all stick with it and enjoy it!

#28798 - 03/30/05 12:25 PM Re: samick brands of pianos
AdrienneM Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Kentucky, USA
Originally posted by pianoannie:
 Quote:
Veering off topic a little--am I the only one who has to hold back a combination laughing/choking fit, when a parent hears their child play on my perfectly maintained and tuned grand piano, and they say "Wow, Suzy's song sounds better on your piano than on ours." (knowing that their's was a freebie from who knows where that hasn't been touched by a tuner since the Hoover administration) :rolleyes:
:rolleyes: \:D

What's even better is when they (or the students) just say it sounds "different" or even "not right." LOL!

Your post made me chuckle out loud, pianoannie!

#28799 - 05/03/05 07:41 AM Re: samick brands of pianos
Gail Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Alpharetta, GA
I went back and reread the comments on piano brands, since I am considering investing in a new piano. I know a lot pf people really like Yamahas and Kawais--and the Boston and Petrof names seem to be popping up regularly. I have an older (1927) Ivers & Pond ebony-finish baby grand--nothing great, but perfectly serviceable for lessons, especially since I keep it tuned and cleaned regularly. I heard a Schimmel several years ago and fell in love with it, and then the church where I had my recital last week had a Schimmel baby grand in their sanctuary--what a lovely tone, and wonderful, powerful bass! I am looking seriously at a new piano and the local dealer has a special that I may not be able to turn down. What can anyone else add about their piano? And can anyone tell me about the tax write-off (depreciation over how many years?)?

#28800 - 05/03/05 09:03 AM Re: samick brands of pianos
PFVTeach Offline
Resident Member

Loc: USA
Pianos depreciate if you don't take care of them and keep them maintained. There are also some brands and makers much more desireable in trade up or resale value as well. Just like cars there are the Yugos of piano and the Mercedes Benz of pianos. Personally I love the steinway made pianos like Boston (yes it is a steinway make. I own one and it is stamped on the brass inside "made by steinway and sons") and Steinway itself. Their Essex line is reasonable in price, and plays well with a nice easy action, but not something I'd recommend for advancing or experienced players. Tax write offs apply only if you use it for business reasons and your teaching. If it is something you plan to buy for pleasure and personal use the tax write off does not apply.(I asked on that one with an accountant when I bought my last piano). In other words, you need to keep it at a studio if for business only.

#28801 - 05/03/05 09:11 AM Re: samick brands of pianos
Lisa Kalmar Offline
Star Member

Loc: KC
I have a 6'10" Schimmel and LOVE it - one of the best decisions I ever made. Silvery upper work, bosendorfy bass. It is a choice made in heaven for those who prefer a more mellow European type sound (as compared to Yamahas or Kawais) and the action is tres` fabu as well. Win, Win.

#28802 - 05/03/05 10:09 AM Re: samick brands of pianos
pianoannie Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: midwest USA
 Quote:
Originally posted by Gail:
And can anyone tell me about the tax write-off (depreciation over how many years?)?
As someone else mentioned, the piano would have to be used for lessons, not merely personal. I would think that if you had some of your advanced students play on the new one, and if you consider your own playing on the new one preparation/continued training for teaching, you could perhaps deduct the cost of the new one. I'm not positive though. It's kinda hard to separate "personal" piano playing from "teacher prep" playing--it all contributes to us being better teachers.

I do know that you don't have to depreciate the cost over several years. Google for info on section 179 of the tax code. That allows for a business expense of up to (I believe for 2005) $102,000. I deducted my new piano back in 2003 that way. One catch, your section 179 deduction can't be greater than the total income on your tax return. I could do it, even though my business itself had a net loss of $20K after deducting the piano, because I file jointly with my husband. Together we did not have a net loss. Another point to consider, if you stop teaching before a certain number of years (sorry, I forget how many), you would have to pay taxes on a portion of what you deducted for the piano.

#28803 - 05/03/05 10:38 AM Re: samick brands of pianos
ABA Offline

Loc: Nashville
posted 05-03-2005 10:09 AM                      
------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:

Originally posted by Gail:
And can anyone tell me about the tax write-off (depreciation over how many years?)?
---------------------------------------------------------------
As someone else mentioned, the piano would have to be used for lessons, not merely personal.

If you also use the piano for recording ( in a teaching context ) where you record the student or anyone else's performance as a way of producing demonstration CDs...this is deductible if you charge for that service. Which means you could record other teachers or friends that are not your students; especially if you have a particularly nice piano. However, the whole idea of recording may open up a can of worms since getting a good recording of a piano is a challenge even for audio engineers at professional studios. But still, I've heard some very nice recordings done at home.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Archivist 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics