Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#28784 - 02/20/05 07:27 AM Re: samick brands of pianos
Dolce Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: USA
Ok. I understand the Idol thing, but what do you mean by a gap between octaves? Silence? Maybe I just don't have a good enough ear to understand the gap and smooth transition thing. Can you explain the gap and smooth transition? thanks

#28785 - 02/20/05 08:52 AM Re: samick brands of pianos
Christina Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Canada
wow, how embarassing, i just realized i was spelling kawai wrong. i think subliminally it was because my brother just left for hawaii this morning and i'm sooooooooooooooooooo jealous!!!!!!!! sorry!!!

by the way, just as a side, i do know a thing or two about pianos, i was just looking for personal opinions. don't worry, i wouldn't buy a piano i don't know anything about. reading all the information about pianos is one thing, but it's just nice to know about other people's experiences, too.

#28786 - 02/20/05 09:39 AM Re: samick brands of pianos
PFVTeach Offline
Resident Member

Dolce, I'm sure it's not your ear it is just hard to explain in words but easy in demo.
What I mean by this is that if you are playing arpeggios for example and starting in the lowest octave and going to the highest possible on the keyboard and somewhere in transition around the middle to the different contrast in octave it sounds as if you are "missing" something in tone between octaves even though you know for fact you have played the octaves sequentially up and down. It will have an "empty" feel to the sound because it does'nt transition well in tone between the different octaves. It's kind of hard to explain in words but would be really easy to demonstrate on a piano with this problem. Cheaper made pianos are usually the culprits of this because the range isn't really that great in tone and is'nt warm sounding in all octaves. Better made pianos and instruments typically will not have this problem unless there has been some major damage to the inside that needs rebuilding or replacing on something major such as the action, the soundboard or strings.
Hope this helps and that I explained this ok.:0)

#28787 - 02/20/05 03:43 PM Re: samick brands of pianos
jaydub2 Offline
Resident Member

Loc: WA
My piano tech. says there can be a change in tone quality in the notes around the E below middle C and lower. This is due to the different type of strings and manufacturing process used on the strings on that E and lower.

for the record....i would choose a Yamaha piano. i love their tone and action.

#28788 - 02/21/05 02:36 AM Re: samick brands of pianos
Dolce Offline
Mainstay Member

Yes, I do like the Yamaha, but their tone is too bright for me. I have a Kawai which I love. Beautiful mellow tone, and superb action.

I've actually been hearing lots about the Petrof (hope I spelled that correctly) recently.

#28789 - 02/24/05 02:34 PM Re: samick brands of pianos
Christina Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Canada
 Quote:
the salesman told me that these days 90% of the pianos made have a really bright tone.
anyone agree with this statement? disagree?

#28790 - 02/24/05 02:56 PM Re: samick brands of pianos
PFVTeach Offline
Resident Member

I disagree. Maybe 90% of what he sells have bright tone, but I don't think that is the case with every piano out there. How it's made and how it sounds to you, the owner, is all that matters. Pianos are kind of like the old pair of sneakers in the closet- what is comfortable for one person won't necessarily be a great fit for someone else. Personally I prefer a warm and mellow sounding piano to a bright one.

#28791 - 02/24/05 05:44 PM Re: samick brands of pianos
pianoannie Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: midwest USA
 Quote:
Originally posted by Dolce:
Yes, I do like the Yamaha, but their tone is too bright for me.
I had my eye on a Yamaha for a few years; I loved the touch, even though it was a bit brighter than I prefer. But when our store started carrying Boston I was immediately drawn to its mellower tone. I bought a Boston about a year ago and have loved every minute of playing on it.
Veering off topic a little--am I the only one who has to hold back a combination laughing/choking fit, when a parent hears their child play on my perfectly maintained and tuned grand piano, and they say "Wow, Suzy's song sounds better on your piano than on ours." (knowing that their's was a freebie from who knows where that hasn't been touched by a tuner since the Hoover administration) :rolleyes:
Oh well, I suppose if I didn't play piano I probably wouldn't know any better either.

#28792 - 02/24/05 08:48 PM Re: samick brands of pianos
Carole Offline
Star Member

Loc: southern California
I have a Mason & Hamlin and love it! It has a firmer touch and mellower sound than the Yamaha I play at church so I have to re-adjust between the two. Both are great to play on. I have heard the same comment, Annie. Playing on a grand has inspired several of my older students to request one of their own. I have not seen their pianos at home and might be shocked if I did.

#28793 - 02/25/05 04:33 AM Re: samick brands of pianos
alidoremi Offline
Star Member

Loc: California
 Quote:
by Carole:
I have not seen their pianos at home and might be shocked if I did. [Eek!]
It might be a fun for us as piano teachers to announce that we will be scheduling 'piano inspection appointments at your convenience' to all of our families. \:D

For about a month I taught a student in his home rather than at my studio. He had an ancient piano that the mom admittedly bought not for tone quality but for its lovely craftsmanship and ornate carvings. The tone was 'rinky-dinky' (like the honky-tonk setting on my clavinova, but not nearly as in tune). Three keys didn't even play and they happened to be situated right around the middle of the piano where most of the repertoire was played. I commented on it but what more can I do? They eventually had the keys fixed but the tone is still horrible.

I think if I heard all the pianos my students had in their homes I'd be so depressed I'd quit teaching. :rolleyes:

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Archivist 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics