Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#28765 - 08/21/04 06:09 AM Re: Pianos We Teach On
Dolce Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: USA
Thanks for the info. I'll have to check the website. It's a Steinway that's made by Kawai????? That would make it a KaWay???

#28766 - 08/21/04 08:01 AM Re: Pianos We Teach On
playsteinway Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Mason, Michigan
you better check that because I have a boston also and it is clearly imprinted inside "MANUFACTURED BY STEINWAY AND SONS" and it came from the steinway show room. No where does it say Kawaii anywhere on this piano as a manufacturer. When I bought it I checked this with Steinway and they confirmed it. Im not sure where the kawaii stuff came from. You need to go to www.steinway.com and click on BOSTON. They show in the piano pictures a CLEAR SHOT OF THE MANUFACTURER from the inside of the piano and it reads " Manufactured by Steinway and Sons" not Kawaii.

[ 08-21-2004: Message edited by: playsteinway ]

#28767 - 08/21/04 08:22 AM Re: Pianos We Teach On
Dolce Offline
Mainstay Member

PlaySteinway, you need to check out this link. It answers the question.
http://www.pianosonline.co.uk/pol/org.paneris.pol.controller.Manufacturer?manufactur er=574

This is what it says:
Manufacturer details
Name Boston Piano Company
Country of manufacture: Japan

Importer Steinway & Sons
Address Boston Piano Company, 37-11 19th Avenue, Long Island City, NY 11105
Phone +1 800 842-5397
Email address bostoninfo@steinway.com
Website url http://www.steinway.com/html/boston/boston.html

Background
Steinway launched the Boston line of pianos in 1992, designed by Steinway & Sons and manufactured in Japan by Kawai with the stated purpose of supplying Steinway dealers with a quality mid priced piano.
Piano range
The Boston line of pianos is a marriage of traditional experience and modern machine production methods. Boston pianos have a unique design and no components are interchangeable between Steinway and Boston. However, there are many similarities of design: vertically laminated bridges for best tonal transmission; rosette shaped hammer flanges matching the action rails, which helps hammer spacing. Many refinements to the design of the Steinway action are also incorporated in the Boston action. Boston hammers are made differently from either Steinway or Kawai and receive custom voicing.
Aspects in common with Kawai pianos include: composition of rims and pin blocks; tuning pins, hardware and grand leg and lyre assemblies; and production quality control. Except for final voicing, Kawai and Boston are built in the same factory by the same workers.
Uprights have a solid Sitka spruce soundboard.
All Boston grands have a sostenuto pedal; the uprights have a practice pedal.
Röslau wire strings on all models.
Warranty
10 years

[ 08-21-2004: Message edited by: Dolce ]

#28768 - 08/21/04 09:46 AM Re: Pianos We Teach On
Dolce Offline
Mainstay Member

Anybody have a Yamaha Disclavier??? They sound like they would be really cool!!!

#28769 - 08/21/04 10:12 AM Re: Pianos We Teach On
Vivace' Offline
Star Member

I have a Kawai 6'8" grand and love it!

#28770 - 08/21/04 10:13 AM Re: Pianos We Teach On
Vivace' Offline
Star Member

Quote:
Originally posted by playsteinway:
You would be correct. I do teach on a Steinway. :0)

what model?

#28771 - 08/22/04 10:09 AM Re: Pianos We Teach On
shannonspiano Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: WI
The disclavier was one of my origanal dreams. used to go to the music store and always pick it out.. But alas it's one of those pianos that are just to pricey for me at the moment. Though I don't mind playing on them.
I don't have a humidity controller in my piano, though i did have one put in on the piano i taught on in IL. I asked my tunner and he said that as long as i keep a humidifier on in the room during winter, and the a/c on during summer i should be fine. So that's what i do to keep the humidity levels from jumping all over the place.

#28772 - 09/13/04 08:14 AM Re: Pianos We Teach On
Christina Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Canada
this may be too late to respond, but...

I also have a Kurzweil digital piano (Mark 5), which I also found handy when I lived in apartments (going to university). My (unrealistic) dream would be a giant 9 ' Bosendorfer, but I think I will love a Kawai upright just the same.

#28773 - 09/13/04 10:31 AM Re: Pianos We Teach On
Lilla Offline
Star Member

Loc: Chicago
I'm a little late reviewing the thread - responding to the Dampp Chaser question. Yes, I have one and the improvement in tone has been significant. I still have a slight problem when there are strong weather/ humidity changes, but it calms down within 24 hrs. It's possible that I can correct that with adjustments to the system, or perhaps it'll sort itself out. Just had the system installed last December. I storngly recommend the Dampp Chaser if you are having humidity problems.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Archivist 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics