Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#28611 - 03/20/01 03:04 PM Grand Pianos
Eric Offline
Star Member

Loc: New York, NY
I have been working my derriere off in order to save up for a grand piano (actually, a baby grand, as I have limited space and funds!) Looks like I should have the necessary savings in the next month or two. I'm going back and forth between a Boston and a Yamaha. The folks at Steinway, promoting the Boston, assure me that the Yamaha I'm considering won't endure~ that it'll develop a tinny sound in a few years. The Yamaha dealer insists, on the other hand, that Boston is actually a cheap Kawaii made with second-rate materials, and doesn't have the tone of the Yamaha. I've played both. I like them both. They're the same price. I'm going crazy.

So, once again, I'm coming to you for any advice you might have for me! In the meantime this is in my dreams!!!!

#28612 - 03/20/01 04:19 PM Re: Grand Pianos
Grace Offline
Resident Member

Eric, Boston seems like a step up from Kawaii to me. How could it be a "cheap" Kawaii? Besides, you can always trade the Boston in (at full value, I believe?) for a Steinway down the road. I personally love the Boston baby grand. I've been drooling over one at my local music store for months now, but I really don't have the space. The dealer is looking to get in the biggest Boston upright he can find for me to try. I can't afford to move just to house my piano, can I??? \:D Keep us posted on what you decide. I can always live my dream vicariously through you! ;\)

#28613 - 03/20/01 07:05 PM Re: Grand Pianos
Janice Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: Newalla, Oklahoma, USA
Eric, I don't want to sound like a know it all but I will tell you some things I learned. I was told this by my piano technician and others-- When you buy a grand don't even consider a "baby" grand. A grand 5'2" and over is considered a "grand". A "baby" grand has the same string length as a spinet and you are going to get about the same tone. I have two friends who have 5'7" Yamahas and they have some trouble keeping a good sound. They both have a tinny sound. I had a Kawaii studio upright for 2 years and it was great but sold it to the school when I got my grand and it is really used and is still doing great. I really have never owned a Yamaha. My $.02. I really want to see you have a grand and I do know how confusing it is. When I got mine, I wasn't really even looking at the time but I had done research. I vote for the Boston.

#28614 - 03/20/01 07:45 PM Re: Grand Pianos
Carole Offline
Star Member

Loc: southern California
Eric, my piano tuner told me not to buy a baby grand either. He said not to buy anything smaller than a 6'(or close).The larger, the better sound I guess. At my church is a 7'5 Yamaha and it is a wonderful piano. It sits in the sanctuary with varying temp. thru the year and keeps its beautiful sound. I love to play it and when I buy, probably will gravitate toward Yamaha because of it. However, I don't know anything beyond that. I DO know I would NEVER buy a Young Chang anything! I don't know what is the matter with me- I just keep posting and posting-Must be all those stars by my name. ;\) I haven't been this popular since I was a young thing with long tresses driving my sassy camero!!!

#28615 - 03/20/01 07:48 PM Re: Grand Pianos
Rhapsody Offline
Star Member

Eric,

I have a Yamaha G2J 5'7" grand piano. When I purchased it many years ago, I wanted a Steinway grand (7" would have been nice) but had to choose between a Steinway upright or a Yamaha grand. The choice I made was the correct one for me. I have been very pleased with my Yamaha and have had no problems whatsoever. My piano tuner/technician (who I trust and who maintains all the pianos at UCSC) thinks that Yamahas are very well-made. I know that Yamahas are considered excellent for recording since the overtones are so well in tune. The sound of my Yamaha has not deteriorated over the years or gotten "tinny" -- I suppose that could happen to any piano if you don't have proper maintenance and let the hammers get too compacted from hard playing and don't have them voiced. The room acoustics play a large part in how any piano sounds. It isn't time for a tuning but I can call my tuner and get his opinion on Boston pianos, if you would like.

It would be nice if you could trust the piano salesmen, but some aren't much better than used car salesmen. I remember being pressured to purchase a piano the first time I looked at it. I believe it was a Kawaii with a rosewood finish at a store in a mall and I felt lucky just to get out of the store alive.

The smallest grands from any manufacturer (in Yamaha the 5'3" and in others usually 5'1" or so) are not recommended. These are cheaper and the supports under the soundboard are not the same as on the larger and better grands. If you can't squeeze in the extra 4-6" of the next size up, you'd probably be better off buying a full-size upright -- it would probably sound better. Of course, a grand piano is physically beautiful -- I shudder to think what my living room would look like without mine. (I have the grand piano image below tiled as wallpaper on one of my computer displays -- maybe it will help a little during your wait if you do the same.)

#28616 - 03/20/01 08:45 PM Re: Grand Pianos
Grace Offline
Resident Member

Sorry, when I said "Boston baby grand" in my post above, I really meant grand. To me, anything less than a concert grand looks like a baby! \:D I definitely wouldn't buy one of the five footers. The sound just isn't there.

#28617 - 03/21/01 06:52 AM Re: Grand Pianos
Eric Offline
Star Member

This discussion is helping me sort things out! I've always hated the sounds of Baby Grands, and was sure I'd never want to purchase one! However, the ones I've tried sound much better than any baby grands I remember playing in the past (or it could just be the acoustics of the showroom!)

That being said, those of you who have spoken out against them have reminded me that this piano will not be my final destination; I will want to have a full grand piano eventually, when I have the dough and the space for one! (YOU try living in Manhattan!)

So, should I go ahead with buying a 5'3", it seems Boston would be the way to go, since the deal Steinway offers is that you can always trade up, which is what I'll want to do down the line. The Yamaha has no such offer.

My fear is that when I get this thing home, it's gonna sound like all those ghastly baby grands I've played in my checkered past! Oy! I'm not sure what to do! But thanks for the help!

#28618 - 03/21/01 07:13 AM Re: Grand Pianos
vlmackerman Offline

Loc: Lauderdale, MN U.S.A.
I traded up from a spinet to a Yamaha 5'5 grand. It may be small, but it has a dynamite tone, and I wouldn't consider trading it for anything less than a Boston. I've had the Yamaha for close to 10 yrs. and have had no problems at all with tinny tone, or anything else, for that matter. Of course, I looked at pianos for 2 years before I found this little diamond in the rough.

Personally, I like Boston better than Steinway, and I know they're made by the same companies. So far I've only played a couple of Steinways that I liked better than my Yamaha, for tone. Go for the Boston!!

#28619 - 03/21/01 10:14 AM Re: Grand Pianos
Minette Offline

Loc: Sausalito, CA USA
I bought my Yamaha C-6 from a rancher in Sweetwater, Texas 15 years ago. It has endured four moves and drastic temperature changes. It still has a beautiful sound-I don't think I will ever trade it. Why not go to the paper and get a used piano? I think you would get more piano for your money. My $.02!!

#28620 - 03/21/01 08:01 PM Re: Grand Pianos
Janice Offline
Mainstay Member

I must come back and say that I do really believe the care and tuning makes a lot of difference in the piano and I have heard many good Yamaha pianos. The two I spoke of probably have not been maintained like they should be. Pianos are like people, they too have personalities. It is really harder to buy a piano than to buy a car because you know you will have it for a long time and you can't just drive away. It becomes like your best friend. \:D You will be surprised that a 5'3" grand won't be that big. Mine is a 6' and people still call it a baby grand. It just doesn't look that big. I ended up buying a used piano but when I was shopping, one piano store gave me a template to put on the floor to give me an idea. Had that darn thing on the floor for four years before I finally got a real one.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: \:D

[ March 21, 2001: Message edited by: JVee ]

#28621 - 03/23/01 08:34 PM Re: Grand Pianos
Joy123 Offline
Mainstay Member

Eric: If I were you, I think I would go for the Boston.

#28622 - 04/06/01 01:12 PM Re: Grand Pianos
Eric Offline
Star Member

Well, here's something else to throw in the mix: I've come across an interesting piano called a Bergman. It's beautiful and has a gorgeous tone and stronger bass (I think) than either the Boston or the Yamaha. I've never heard of a Bergman before, outside of Ingrid or Ingmar. ANyone out there know anything about this brand??

#28623 - 04/06/01 01:42 PM Re: Grand Pianos
Jalapeņo Offline
Star Member

[ April 12, 2001: Message edited by: Jalapeno ]

#28624 - 04/06/01 02:53 PM Re: Grand Pianos
Rhapsody Offline
Star Member

Eric,

Bergmann pianos are apparently made and/or distributed by Young Chang. The site is http://www.youngchang.com/yca/berggrand.html

There is very little information about them but TG-150 Baby Grand Piano is 4'11-1/2" while TG-157 Classic Grand Piano is only 5'2".

With "Baby" grands, it's not so much the shorter length but rather the way the soundboard is made. With most "Baby" grands the supports are perpendicular underneath the soundboard rather than radial (which creates better resonance and sound production) as on a standard grand .

A different website ( http://www.hallpiano.com/HALLPIANO/specials.html ) lists a TG-150 with QRS Player Piano Automation System but there is little information.

At http://www.abcpiano.com/new3126.html there is some interesting information regarding Young Chang, Boston & Steinway.

[ April 06, 2001: Message edited by: Rhapsody ]

#28625 - 04/06/01 10:28 PM Re: Grand Pianos
Eric Offline
Star Member

Thanks for the info on the Bergmann, Rhaps, and thanks for figuring out it had two N's! I can always count on you! Now that I know it's a product of Young Chang, I think I'll just cross it right off the list. I've heard only bad reports about Young Chang, and it's so easy to be fooled by a nice sound in the showroom....

So it's back to the Boston vs. Yamaha deliberation......plus taxes set me back a bit! \:\( \:\( \:\( So I'm working on PATIENCE, which is still a virtue, I'm told. How virtuous do I have to be before I have my grand????

#28626 - 04/06/01 11:08 PM Re: Grand Pianos
Joy123 Offline
Mainstay Member

Eric: If you can afford it, Boston is probably your BEST choice. I like their tapered soundboards. However, I found the same thing with my Young Chang grand that you found with the Bergman----a BEAUTIFUL tone quality. I have had my Young Chang grand for three years now and have only had to have it tuned (yearly as any piano----yes, I know some have theirs tuned more often) and the pedal fixed from squeaking ONCE. It has NOT squeaked any more. The man who tuned it fixed the squeak. And, it is under warranty for 15 years so having the pedal adjusted cost me nothing. The action is not quite as wonderful as I wish it were--NOT bad or anything--just not as good as Boston or Steinway. However, I have been told by a piano technician that the action can be made better by a little work. Again, the action is NOT bad, just not superb. I could NOT afford a Steinway or Boston. I tried various pianos when I was buying and this Young Chang grand (5'9") sounded the MOST like a Boston of anything I could afford. The BEAUTIFUL tone continues to be just that--BEAUTIFUL!
The Young Chang grand was my BEST choice for TONE QUALITY and action (for that matter) of anything that I could afford.
They are much less expensive than the Boston's. For what I paid for mine, I am DELIGHTED with it! Just my two cents worth about not completely throwing out Young Chang
or other pianos that they might make without checking into it thoroughly. I think Young Chang's are probably a lot better than they used to be. I guess the company has improved over time. Again, if you can afford it, Boston is probably your BEST choice. But, if your pocketbook is like mine was, don't throw out the Bergman or even a Young Chang without checking it out completely.

#28627 - 04/06/01 11:41 PM Re: Grand Pianos
Joy123 Offline
Mainstay Member

P.S. Eric, my Young Chang grand is a G-175.
As we all know every piano has it's own
personality even within the same brand name.

#28628 - 04/10/01 05:22 AM Re: Grand Pianos
Anonymous
Unregistered

Everyone has been so supportive and helpful in the past concerning my goal to possess a grand piano. Well, I really need your help now! \:o

I have been dreaming of a grand piano for years and endlessly talking about having one soon to my students. They are all such great kids and they want me to be happy. \:\) We have such great times at lessons and during all of our little musical-appreciation outings in this greatest city of culture, NYC. Contrary to what I posted in another thread, we didn't change our plans about seeing Alfred Brendel at Carnegie Hall last week. But saying otherwise was part of a lavish scheme devised and executed by my students and moiself. The mastermind behind most of the scheme was my 5-year-old genius niece, Cuddly. (Did I mention she was just given a full scholarship to Julliard - their youngest student ever? )

We (my students, Cuddly and moi) arrived at the concert hall and I almost ruined the whole objective by barely being able to control my sheer lust for the stunning beauty of the 9-ft. Steinnway concert grand on the stage. As the concert progressed and I and fell more and more in love with the glorious sound, I screamed out "I must have it now!" Fortunately, this outcry coincided with a thunderous burst of chords and no one noticed my students were physically restraining me from rushing the stage. Our plan could still be carried out successfully if my students kept me in line.

As the concertgoers filed out, the girls and I hid in the Ladies' Room until the hall was empty. With presstissimo and pianissimo movements, we got this magnificent instrument onto the hall's forklift. One of the bigger girls drove the forklift as Cuddly guided it into the alley. It was nearly 2 a.m. by this time and the girls were able to easily direct the traffic. As the forklift drove down the "Sidewalks of New York" to my apartment, I became more and more euphoric. This grand was now mine, all MINE! The trickiest part was getting it up into my apartment but I was able to leave all those little details to the girls who had prepared my domicile for this most treasured of treasures.

Cuddly had planned well. He got a big supply of ear plugs for all my girls so they would be able to sleep through the thunderous tumult that this magnificent instrument poured out for the next 48 hours as I played virtually non-stop. They had all told their parents that they would be staying with friends for the weekend and were not expected back at their homes. However, Cuddly had forgot to mention one necessary detail to both the girls and to moiself. It would be impossible to allow them to rejoin their parents since they were all participants in our crime and may be needed as bargaining chips (hostages) should our guilt become known.

The piano, of course, is not a typical 9-ft. Steinnway (if such a thing exists :rolleyes: ). It is a special Millennium edition with the best soundboard and the most perfect tuning ever built into a piano. The piano company and Carnegie Hall are offering a huge reward for its return and are scouring the city as I type.

I resumed giving the girls individual lessons today and they all played like little angels (especially Cuddly), and our group lesson was the most enjoyable ever as they each took turns playing "Guess That Classical Tune." They all knew every theme I played, many of them they had never heard before - as if by osmosis they were gaining vast amounts of new musical knowledge simply by being in the presence of this grand instrument. Of course, Cuddly didn't play, because it wouldn't be fair to the other students.

As time wears on, my students are beginning to be a little restless. My studio is small and even though Cuddly planned well, she overlooked the need for enough food and clothes for the girls for an extended siege. At this point, we are running low on food and water as well as clean delicates. Plus, the parents are beginning to call and ask if I know where their children are.

I feel I'm in the clear for now with the law, and I don't feel any remorse for virtue lost to obtain my dream piano. But I feel a little guilty that I'm making the girls wear the same outfits over and over again.

So, moi needs your help. Please send moi excuses moi can use with the parents - you have heard so many good ones in the past, you certainly will be able to help moiself. Any clean delicates you can spare for the girls will also be much appreciated. (Moi never wears any - even for pictures. ;\) ) Plus, Cuddly is whining for an Urtext copy of Rach's 3rd since she's getting bored listening to moi. Please, don't desert moi in moi's hour of need.

#28629 - 04/10/01 05:56 AM Re: Grand Pianos
Lisa Kalmar Offline
Star Member

Loc: KC
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I am gasping for air and gaping with glee at the brilliance! Older girls drove the forklift indeed...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!
I am drooling in delight!
I am limp with laughter!
I look like a stroke victim (no doubt) over this!

\:D \:D \:D \:D \:D \:D \:D

Lisa, who assumes those clean delicates need to be silks and will get on it right away

#28630 - 04/10/01 08:59 AM Re: Grand Pianos
Rhapsody Offline
Star Member

How large is the reward being offered? ;\)

Of course, I'll help. I will get a copy of the music for Cuddly FedExed today, if at all possible.

I am, however, concerned that your neigbors might become suspicious of all the loud piano playing from such a "magnificent instrument." I do hope your studio is relatively soundproof.

I'll check around a little and try to help further.

#28631 - 04/10/01 10:27 AM Re: Grand Pianos
allegra Offline
Resident Member

Eric: I know that "I MUST HAVE IT" feeling. I'm on my way to Goodwill to update my summer wardrobe. I'll see what they have in the children's section for the girls. I hope you recover from your stroke ,Lisa. Eric: since the parents are used to the kids going on outings with you, you can say you are taking them on an extended outing , a trip to Mozart's birthplace. When you get there, if Cuddly can play the Rach 3 already, she can concertize through all the capitals of Europe, sometimes soloing and sometimes playing duets with her dashing, talented uncle. She should be able to generate enough revenue to reimburse the vaue of the piano, and to give the girls an endless supply of silky, delicate underthings. Knowing Rhap, the music is already on its way. Make the travel arrangements presstissimo!!!! P>S> Is she Cubby's twin sister or his cousin? If he sees very much of her , he is bound to get an inferiority complex.

[ April 10, 2001: Message edited by: allegra ]

#28632 - 04/10/01 10:38 AM Re: Grand Pianos
allegra Offline
Resident Member

P Taking your students on outings is such a great idea.!!! I know they will remember these outings all their lives . Getting together with other piano students , being exposed to your great wit and developing a sense of camaraderie much like we have here at pianoteaching.com . My piano teacher meant so much to me, just going to her house once a week. I am going to consider doing this.

#28633 - 04/10/01 10:43 AM Re: Grand Pianos
CR Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Idaho
Eric,
This may or may not make much sense, but last August when my parents and I were looking for a *baby* grand, (okay, so it's a grand, huh? \:\) ) we first had looked at a Boston. It sounded O.K.; what I didn't like about it was that it sort of had a muffled tone, to my ears at least ~ my mom loved it! But that was just me. Our piano at home seemed better than what we were looking at. (This was at a used piano sale, BTW, and the sales lady told us all their used pianos had been sold... huh!!) So, we looked around a bit more, then came back to the Boston. I played on it, still didn't care for it, but didn't tell my parents so. Guess what? The sales lady somehow talked us into buying it, and my mom and dad signed papers to have it delivered the next morning. I didn't feel so good then, because I didn't exactly know how to tell them I didn't really like it all that much. :rolleyes: This piano was ALOT of money. And the fact I felt sort of guilty my parents signed papers for it... !!
We went home that night and slept on it; next morning, I told mom I didn't sleep well because of the piano. She hadn't slept much either. Don't know about Dad. I guess mom and dad had talked it over earlier in the morning that it wasn't such a good idea to get it afterall. In 1/2 an hour the piano would be delivered. We tried calling Dunkley's to see if they could possibly call the guys who were to deliver the piano, and cancel the drop-off. But, it didn't work. They arrived, almost started setting up, but then mom told them we changed our minds and didn't want the piano. (sorry, this is getting long!! just bear w/me!!) Well, there went my piano, even tho I didn't really want it.
That evening, we decided to go look at Treasure Valley Music in the mall, a dealer who sold Yamaha grands and such. We stayed 3 hours, (until about 10) and my parents signed papers then. To have the *baby* grand ~ 5'2" ~ be delivered the following Monday. (since this was a Sat.) We went home, slept on that and woke up feeling good about our decision. So, Monday afternoon, in came my new piano, factory sealed in a huge box, and the delivery kid and the sales man who sold us our piano, came to set it up. Oh, by the way, this Yamaha dealer did tell us the Boston was no where near as good as the Yamaha. :rolleyes: Every dealer will tell you their piano brand is better than the other brand.
Anyway, what happened with us, is that we prayed about it, and it ended up the Yamaha was better for us. I'm not saying the Yamaha would be better for you, but you just gotta feel good about the piano you choose. If you don't have a heavy feeling on your shoulders, then it must be that piano's best for you!! \:\) Anyway, good luck, and hope you find the right piano!! \:\) \:\)

#28634 - 04/10/01 02:43 PM Re: Grand Pianos
Eric Offline
Star Member

I always KNEW I had been separated at birth from my twin sister, and now I've located her here at the Piano Club! Erica, I think you should take the suggestion and tour Europe with your students. I will meet you in Vienna with Cubby and my other students. Cuddly and Cubby will be so adorable playing the Wolfgang-Nannerl duets! And the two of US, hey, we can play the Rachmaninoff Two-Piano Repertoire!! You on the 9-foot Steinnway, and me on my Technics Digital. \:\(

#28635 - 04/10/01 06:36 PM Re: Grand Pianos
OKMusician Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: Oklahoma
Erica, what a truly unique way to acquire a new instrument. Perhaps you should pass your method on to Eric, who's been dying for such a piano, but seems to be short on funds!! I think perhaps you and Allegra should team up and write a book on the Adventures of teaching piano. You could call it Piano Adventures. (Oh, it seems that title is already taken...well, we'll think of something!!! \:D

#28636 - 04/10/01 07:19 PM Re: Grand Pianos
Anonymous
Unregistered

Eric, I, too, have always felt something or someone was missing in my life. You may indeed be the missing link. I couldn't find your picture. Please check mine to see if you think there is a family resemblance.

We're not quite ready to tour but with everyone's rapid progress, it won't be long. Right now my greatest concerns are preventing detection and cannibalism. The accelerated learning seems to require massive amounts of food and the girls just don't seem to care much where they get it.

Actually, Eric, once Cuddly figures a way out of our present predicament, you might inherit the Steinnway. Cuddly and moi have an eye on a fabulous Boozendorfer at Lincoln Center. We might need your help. ;\)

#28637 - 04/10/01 07:22 PM Re: Grand Pianos
allegra Offline
Resident Member

[ April 10, 2001: Message edited by: allegra ]

#28638 - 04/11/01 11:57 AM Re: Grand Pianos
Eric Offline
Star Member

Erica,
I have updated the picture in my profile. Check it out and see if you think there's some resemblance.
Eric

#28639 - 04/12/01 04:35 AM Re: Grand Pianos
Anonymous
Unregistered

Eric,

I had always pictured you a little more like the image at this site -- http://www.pathfinder.com/photo/archive/people/coward.htm -- much younger and without the cigarette, of course.

And when I have dreamed of having a brother/twin, I always imagined we would recount our separate childhoods and plan shared future experiences as in the attached photo of my parents.

If Cuddly can break just a few more codes and register a few more documents, I shall be the lawful owner of my acquired instrument and we may then safely meet.

Cuddly looks forward to meeting you, but has expressed a strong aversion to meeting Cubby since she knows only too well the story of Nannerl and Amadeus and how that turned out.

#28640 - 04/12/01 08:26 AM Re: Grand Pianos
Eric Offline
Star Member

AH! The picture of our parents! Yes! I've had the other half of that picture (The mid-section of a man and a woman embracing) in a locket since birth. For years I've wondered why I had such an odd, faceless picture in a locket, but now it all make sense! My sister has proven her identity beyond all doubt by presenting the rest of the picture! Gosh, our parents were beautiful. I imagine they were terribly witty and urbane as well!

Cubby has similar trepidations about meeting Cuddly. I hope that in addition to cracking the code and helping you gain full ownership of the Steinnway, you don't give up on our Boozendorfer! I was thinking a good debut might be the Poulenc (another relative) Concerto for Two Pianos. A stunning piece!

#28641 - 04/12/01 09:56 AM Re: Grand Pianos
Janice Offline
Mainstay Member

WOW!

#28642 - 04/13/01 03:35 PM Re: Grand Pianos
Rhapsody Offline
Star Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Eric Rockwell:
Gosh, our parents were beautiful. I imagine they were terribly witty and urbane as well!

Eric/Erica,

Your parents look fabulous!! Even though the whole picture/locket thing is almost straight out of Annie :rolleyes: (a musical a little too schmaltzy and smarmy for their taste), I imagine they would, nonetheless, be pleased at the prospect of their progeny being united. I must wonder, however, how they would feel about the circumstances which may ultimately bring this meeting about.

Erica, do you truly feel no guilt or remorse over your actions?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Archivist 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics