Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#28611 - 03/20/01 03:04 PM Grand Pianos
Eric Offline
Star Member

Loc: New York, NY
I have been working my derriere off in order to save up for a grand piano (actually, a baby grand, as I have limited space and funds!) Looks like I should have the necessary savings in the next month or two. I'm going back and forth between a Boston and a Yamaha. The folks at Steinway, promoting the Boston, assure me that the Yamaha I'm considering won't endure~ that it'll develop a tinny sound in a few years. The Yamaha dealer insists, on the other hand, that Boston is actually a cheap Kawaii made with second-rate materials, and doesn't have the tone of the Yamaha. I've played both. I like them both. They're the same price. I'm going crazy.

So, once again, I'm coming to you for any advice you might have for me! In the meantime this is in my dreams!!!!

#28612 - 03/20/01 04:19 PM Re: Grand Pianos
Grace Offline
Resident Member

Eric, Boston seems like a step up from Kawaii to me. How could it be a "cheap" Kawaii? Besides, you can always trade the Boston in (at full value, I believe?) for a Steinway down the road. I personally love the Boston baby grand. I've been drooling over one at my local music store for months now, but I really don't have the space. The dealer is looking to get in the biggest Boston upright he can find for me to try. I can't afford to move just to house my piano, can I??? \:D Keep us posted on what you decide. I can always live my dream vicariously through you! ;\)

#28613 - 03/20/01 07:05 PM Re: Grand Pianos
Janice Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: Newalla, Oklahoma, USA
Eric, I don't want to sound like a know it all but I will tell you some things I learned. I was told this by my piano technician and others-- When you buy a grand don't even consider a "baby" grand. A grand 5'2" and over is considered a "grand". A "baby" grand has the same string length as a spinet and you are going to get about the same tone. I have two friends who have 5'7" Yamahas and they have some trouble keeping a good sound. They both have a tinny sound. I had a Kawaii studio upright for 2 years and it was great but sold it to the school when I got my grand and it is really used and is still doing great. I really have never owned a Yamaha. My $.02. I really want to see you have a grand and I do know how confusing it is. When I got mine, I wasn't really even looking at the time but I had done research. I vote for the Boston.

#28614 - 03/20/01 07:45 PM Re: Grand Pianos
Carole Offline
Star Member

Loc: southern California
Eric, my piano tuner told me not to buy a baby grand either. He said not to buy anything smaller than a 6'(or close).The larger, the better sound I guess. At my church is a 7'5 Yamaha and it is a wonderful piano. It sits in the sanctuary with varying temp. thru the year and keeps its beautiful sound. I love to play it and when I buy, probably will gravitate toward Yamaha because of it. However, I don't know anything beyond that. I DO know I would NEVER buy a Young Chang anything! I don't know what is the matter with me- I just keep posting and posting-Must be all those stars by my name. ;\) I haven't been this popular since I was a young thing with long tresses driving my sassy camero!!!

#28615 - 03/20/01 07:48 PM Re: Grand Pianos
Rhapsody Offline
Star Member

Eric,

I have a Yamaha G2J 5'7" grand piano. When I purchased it many years ago, I wanted a Steinway grand (7" would have been nice) but had to choose between a Steinway upright or a Yamaha grand. The choice I made was the correct one for me. I have been very pleased with my Yamaha and have had no problems whatsoever. My piano tuner/technician (who I trust and who maintains all the pianos at UCSC) thinks that Yamahas are very well-made. I know that Yamahas are considered excellent for recording since the overtones are so well in tune. The sound of my Yamaha has not deteriorated over the years or gotten "tinny" -- I suppose that could happen to any piano if you don't have proper maintenance and let the hammers get too compacted from hard playing and don't have them voiced. The room acoustics play a large part in how any piano sounds. It isn't time for a tuning but I can call my tuner and get his opinion on Boston pianos, if you would like.

It would be nice if you could trust the piano salesmen, but some aren't much better than used car salesmen. I remember being pressured to purchase a piano the first time I looked at it. I believe it was a Kawaii with a rosewood finish at a store in a mall and I felt lucky just to get out of the store alive.

The smallest grands from any manufacturer (in Yamaha the 5'3" and in others usually 5'1" or so) are not recommended. These are cheaper and the supports under the soundboard are not the same as on the larger and better grands. If you can't squeeze in the extra 4-6" of the next size up, you'd probably be better off buying a full-size upright -- it would probably sound better. Of course, a grand piano is physically beautiful -- I shudder to think what my living room would look like without mine. (I have the grand piano image below tiled as wallpaper on one of my computer displays -- maybe it will help a little during your wait if you do the same.)

#28616 - 03/20/01 08:45 PM Re: Grand Pianos
Grace Offline
Resident Member

Sorry, when I said "Boston baby grand" in my post above, I really meant grand. To me, anything less than a concert grand looks like a baby! \:D I definitely wouldn't buy one of the five footers. The sound just isn't there.

#28617 - 03/21/01 06:52 AM Re: Grand Pianos
Eric Offline
Star Member

Loc: New York, NY
This discussion is helping me sort things out! I've always hated the sounds of Baby Grands, and was sure I'd never want to purchase one! However, the ones I've tried sound much better than any baby grands I remember playing in the past (or it could just be the acoustics of the showroom!)

That being said, those of you who have spoken out against them have reminded me that this piano will not be my final destination; I will want to have a full grand piano eventually, when I have the dough and the space for one! (YOU try living in Manhattan!)

So, should I go ahead with buying a 5'3", it seems Boston would be the way to go, since the deal Steinway offers is that you can always trade up, which is what I'll want to do down the line. The Yamaha has no such offer.

My fear is that when I get this thing home, it's gonna sound like all those ghastly baby grands I've played in my checkered past! Oy! I'm not sure what to do! But thanks for the help!

#28618 - 03/21/01 07:13 AM Re: Grand Pianos
vlmackerman Offline

Loc: Lauderdale, MN U.S.A.
I traded up from a spinet to a Yamaha 5'5 grand. It may be small, but it has a dynamite tone, and I wouldn't consider trading it for anything less than a Boston. I've had the Yamaha for close to 10 yrs. and have had no problems at all with tinny tone, or anything else, for that matter. Of course, I looked at pianos for 2 years before I found this little diamond in the rough.

Personally, I like Boston better than Steinway, and I know they're made by the same companies. So far I've only played a couple of Steinways that I liked better than my Yamaha, for tone. Go for the Boston!!

#28619 - 03/21/01 10:14 AM Re: Grand Pianos
Minette Offline

Loc: Sausalito, CA USA
I bought my Yamaha C-6 from a rancher in Sweetwater, Texas 15 years ago. It has endured four moves and drastic temperature changes. It still has a beautiful sound-I don't think I will ever trade it. Why not go to the paper and get a used piano? I think you would get more piano for your money. My $.02!!

#28620 - 03/21/01 08:01 PM Re: Grand Pianos
Janice Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: Newalla, Oklahoma, USA
I must come back and say that I do really believe the care and tuning makes a lot of difference in the piano and I have heard many good Yamaha pianos. The two I spoke of probably have not been maintained like they should be. Pianos are like people, they too have personalities. It is really harder to buy a piano than to buy a car because you know you will have it for a long time and you can't just drive away. It becomes like your best friend. \:D You will be surprised that a 5'3" grand won't be that big. Mine is a 6' and people still call it a baby grand. It just doesn't look that big. I ended up buying a used piano but when I was shopping, one piano store gave me a template to put on the floor to give me an idea. Had that darn thing on the floor for four years before I finally got a real one.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: \:D

[ March 21, 2001: Message edited by: JVee ]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Archivist 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members