Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#28592 - 03/21/01 12:16 PM What do you teach on?
bethann Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Nebraska
Eric's post about baby grand made me want to ask this. What kind of piano do you teach on? Is it your dream piano, or are you hoping for something else in the future?

I have just begun my search for a new piano. I have (gasp) a Baldwin spinet that I received when I was 13. It is remarkably easy to keep in tune, but has a host of other problems and I really want a much better sound than it offers. I am looking for a very nice studio upright, as there is no way a grand would fit in my small ranch home.

#28593 - 03/21/01 12:59 PM Re: What do you teach on?
Arlene Steffen Offline
Star Member

Loc: Fresno, CA USA
I am saving up for a grand piano, but until then I have a 5-year-old Yamaha studio console. I like it pretty well, but the time has come for a bit of technical work beyond tuning.

I played a lovely Yamaha grand this weekend. Don't know why I even entered the store since I am nowhere near the money goal. \:\( We've spent over $200 at the doctor and pharmacy these last two weeks! I currently have no voice and am trying to rid myself and two boys from ear infections. Yuk!

#28594 - 03/21/01 06:30 PM Re: What do you teach on?
Rhapsody Offline
Star Member

What little I teach is done primarily on my Yamaha 5'7" grand. I also have a weighted 88-key Yamaha KX-88 MIDI keyboard (close to acoustic piano touch) that I use for 2-piano duets and for sounds other than piano -- it's just a quick 180 on the bench from one to the other.

I remember one short-lived teacher who had a rather odd spinet with keys that were rounded at the front. It was in her dining room and she used it for almost all of her student lessons. I always got distracted when a certain note on the piano would cause a plate on the wall above the piano (Early American decor) to vibrate. I always stopped playing when this happened and she was puzzled because she never noticed the distracting noise. The rounded, slightly sloping keys were quite annoying to play as well. Only once did she allow me to play on her grand piano in the adjoining living room and I believe it was the only lesson where she ever actually praised my playing. A better instrument can make such a difference!

When I bought my Yamaha grand, I had hopes of getting a 7" Steinway (or a Bosendorfer) in a few years. Since I moved and have limited space, I am quite content with the piano I have and plan to keep it. I tested a Kurzweil MIDI keyboard a couple of years ago that had sampled sounds of various grand pianos. It wasn't as good as I had hoped but in a few years I might try again. I like the sound of my piano, but being able to choose a "dark" or "bright" sound from different 9' concert grands by various manufacturers to fit a particular piece of music would be a great option to have. \:\)

#28595 - 03/21/01 08:22 PM Re: What do you teach on?
Musica Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Montreal, Qc, Canada
I own a grand approx 6'(?), brand is Stark. My parents bought it for me when I was about 16, from an elderly lady who was getting rid of her furniture. They paid about $4000Cdn. It is a beautiful piano but is over 70 years old. The high treble has a beautiful sound, but the piano needs a lot of work now. I have to replace the keys (still the original ivory and very chipped keys), the sound board has not cracked and the bass strings are pretty much finished. I'm saving up to get it all fixed. I'm also looking to research the piano to find the exact age and learn more of the manufacturer. I was told that Stark used to build the Steinways and went off on his own. Is this true who knows.

I love my piano, but my teacher has Steinway (not sure what size) grand, it has a gorgeous sound.

Right now my grand is in my little room, which I call my studio, but one day when I get a bigger studio I think I'd like to own another piano.

#28596 - 03/21/01 08:22 PM Re: What do you teach on?
Janice Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: Newalla, Oklahoma, USA
I teach on a Roland with 88 weighted keys. I don't like it for classical music, personally. My insurance company wants lots more money than I want to pay if I teach on my grand full time. I let my advanced students take their lessons on it but the younger students seem happy with the Roland. Small students can be hard on pianos. I started teaching on a spinet and still have it and keep it because of sentimental reasons. I tell my husband if he can collect cars, I can collect pianos but it doesn't work that way. :rolleyes:

#28597 - 03/21/01 08:36 PM Re: What do you teach on?
Lisa Kalmar Offline
Star Member

Loc: KC
I teach on a 7 footish Schimmel. Dream instrument - can't believe I have it!

I grew up on a Story & Clark spinet or console, made when pianos were designed as nice furniture. Me mum still has the catalog that shows the different styles along with the lifestyles they supposedly match and I still get a kick out of looking at it! My teacher taught in her basement on a rat trap old clunker upright. She had a better piano on her main floor, but only her daughters were allowed to play on it. The first grand I played was when I accompanied for high school!

#28598 - 03/21/01 08:57 PM Re: What do you teach on?
Janice Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: Newalla, Oklahoma, USA
Lisa, tell us about a Schimmel. Where is it made? I know I have seen the name but just don't know much about it. ;\)

#28599 - 03/22/01 06:24 AM Re: What do you teach on?
OKMusician Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: Oklahoma
I teach on a beautiful Baldwin studio that I bought about 3 years ago. We live in a small house and there's no way I have room for a grand. My piano has a wonderful touch and tone. I enjoy playing it and my kids all love it. I played lots of pianos when I was shopping for a new instrument, but when I sat down at this one and started playing I just knew it was the one. Is there love at first touch with instruments?

#28600 - 03/22/01 08:11 AM Re: What do you teach on?
Eric Offline
Star Member

Loc: New York, NY
I have a beautiful old Chickering upright. Beautiful, that is, as an antique; as an instrument it SUCKS. SO most of my lessons are on my Technics digital. One of the things that drives me crazy about it are that several of the boys get distracted by the other buttons, and I spend much of the lesson hearing them "surprise" me because they pressed the Pipe Organ or Harpsichord sound without me noticing :rolleyes:. B

But overall, the Technics works well for me. A piece of advice: NEVER let a student near a digital piano with juice or even water. The tiniest bit of liquid on the keys can really mess it up!

#28601 - 03/22/01 09:24 AM Re: What do you teach on?
dlinder Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: Ohio
I'm using a Kurzweil PC88 right now. I really love it for jazz/pop and it has good piano sounds, but I can't wait to get a grand when I get enough money, a bigger apartment, and no neighbors (or at least a room to put it in that is not right next to the neighbor's apartment!!) Now if I could move my daughter into the living room and use her room for a studio.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Archivist 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics