Topic Options
#27111 - 07/27/01 08:51 AM Advice on teaching scales
Carole Offline
Star Member

Loc: southern California
I teach beginner through intermediate(PA3B). Most of my inter. students know or are working on their major scales (and a few on minors). They have learned how to form them, studied the Circle of 5ths, played them 2 oct. hands separately, now working on together. I even made a "version" of the Incredible scales game mentioned in another site, reproduced it and gave to each student to use at home. Still, when I ask for review scales (except for C,G and F) they have to stop and think and some "feel" their way through. It's like they have never had it before! :rolleyes: Maybe they are just not practicing them enough at home. I try to stress, especially with the game, to practice every review scale at least once or twice during the week. Anyway, does this just take alot of time to learn? Should I expect them to be "fluid" with their scales? Am I not teaching them correctly? Thanks for any advice! \:\)

#27112 - 07/27/01 11:52 AM Re: Advice on teaching scales
Jalapeņo Offline
Star Member

Originally posted by Carole:
I teach beginner through intermediate(PA3B). Most of my inter. students know or are working on their major scales (and a few on minors). They have learned how to form them, studied the Circle of 5ths, played them 2 oct. hands separately, now working on together. I even made a "version" of the Incredible scales game mentioned in another site, reproduced it and gave to each student to use at home. Still, when I ask for review scales (except for C,G and F) they have to stop and think and some "feel" their way through. It's like they have never had it before! :rolleyes: Maybe they are just not practicing them enough at home. I try to stress, especially with the game, to practice every review scale at least once or twice during the week. Anyway, does this just take alot of time to learn? Should I expect them to be "fluid" with their scales? Am I not teaching them correctly? Thanks for any advice! \:\)

Sounds very much like not enough scale practice is going on during the week. You probably already do this, but here's a little suggestion that might work: When you assign a new piece, be sure to assign the scale (in the key the new piece is written in) for the student to do as a daily warm-up. When the student comes to lessons, have him/her play the scale for you before playing the piece. Do this with all pieces you assign. Of course, when students have learned all the scales, you need to look for pieces that are written in a variety of keys, or have students transpose certain pieces into other keys. That way, they practice all the scales, not just a few. Hope this helps.

Moderator:  Archivist 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics
62996 Posts