Topic Options
#27048 - 04/04/01 09:27 AM Scales
Carole Offline
Star Member

Loc: southern California
Was wondering if any of you have tried out the Incredible Scales boardgame from Pianospot. It is a clever idea and am thinking about making a BIG one or several small ones. Wish all my students would make one of their own-maybe that could be a piano party (group class) type of activity. Another question: When do you start having students play scales hands together? Right from the start or after they have, say, learned the major scales 2 oct. hands separate?

#27049 - 04/04/01 09:55 AM Re: Scales
Jalapeņo Offline
Star Member

It's always HS 1 octave, then HS 2 octaves, then HT 1 octave, then HS 2 octaves.

At the practicespot.com website, you can print out keyboard diagrams that have the scale fingerings on the keys. This, I think, is a good resource to use for students just starting scales.

Is anyone planning to use the new FJH Let's Get Ready for Pentascales Duets book? I have the Let's Get Ready for Major Scales Duets & Let's Get Ready for Minor Scales Duets books & think they're great. I haven't seen the pentascales duet book but imagine it's also good. Any comments?

#27050 - 04/04/01 10:00 AM Re: Scales
Carole Offline
Star Member

Loc: southern California
Jalapeno, do you have any students in the major or minor scales duet books? If so, how do you use them? Do the students buy the books or do you loan them? Do you assign one duet a week?

#27051 - 04/04/01 11:49 AM Re: Scales
Jalapeņo Offline
Star Member

Well, I have 2 students who are going to need them soon. Since their mother also plays the piano, I'm going to ask her if she can play the duet accomps. She plays the Faber PA duet accomps. with them & says that they enjoy it when she plays along with them. Even if she can't play the duets, I still think that purchasing the book would be a good idea; it would just be in place of a scale book. In addition to the scales, each book has practice flash cards, review games, ear-training activities, scale ref. charts, & technical warm-ups.

As for when to assign these books, I'd start the pentascale duet book in PA1, the major scale duet book in PA2A, & the minor scale duet book in PA3B.

You asked me if I assign one duet per week. I'd say no more than one per week unless the student catches on quickly & has good technical dexterity.

[ April 04, 2001: Message edited by: Jalapeno ]

Moderator:  Archivist 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics