Topic Options
#27005 - 04/06/01 03:36 PM Scale fingering
CR Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Idaho
My teacher has a really weird way of fingering for scales and arpeggios (I think!), and some it's really difficult for me to tuck the thumb under and so on in both the scales and arpeggios. For instance: last week I did the Eb major scale and arpeg. For the r.h., the fingering was 4 1 2 3 1 2 3. Using 4 as the starting note was extremely hard for me, especially when coming down. I tried changing to 2, but Mr. R corrected me to use 4. :rolleyes: What can I do?? I have small hands (as if that matters in this case?) but in case it does.... Anyone have any advice??

#27006 - 04/06/01 03:47 PM Re: Scale fingering
Jalapeņo Offline
Star Member

[ April 12, 2001: Message edited by: Jalapeno ]

#27007 - 04/06/01 05:57 PM Re: Scale fingering
Eric Offline
Star Member

Loc: New York, NY
I agree with Jalapeno and/or Philip Johnston.

I suggest asking Mr. R. if there is a REASON for his suggested fingering. If he doesn't have a good reason, I say your teacher is a crackpot. Find someone else ASAP!!!!!

[ April 06, 2001: Message edited by: Eric Rockwell ]

#27008 - 04/06/01 06:26 PM Re: Scale fingering
bethann Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Nebraska
Ugh! That fingering sounds awful! I just passed my scales second semester last year, and my teacher gave me a few different fingerings to choose from - but this was not one of them. The 4 finger in the flat scales is what always helps me to remember the fingering, for the right hand, 4 always plays B flat and for the left it always plays the newest added flat (from the previous scale) I think (I'm not sitting near the piano right now, so forgive me if I got that wrong.)

If I started E flat on 4 it would totally goof me up, not to mention it just seems to make it more difficult than it needs to be.

Good advice from Jalapeno about copying those scale sheets from practicespot. I've been giving those sheets to my students with much success.

#27009 - 04/07/01 11:42 AM Re: Scale fingering
CR Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Idaho
Thanks everyone!! \:\) I think if I get a weird fingering again, I'll do that printing of the scale from Practice Spot, because some of his fingering suggestions are just !!

#27010 - 04/07/01 09:02 PM Re: Scale fingering
Janice Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: Newalla, Oklahoma, USA
The wierd fingering you talk about has been around as long as I can remember and I've been studying music for over fifty years, however, I am not saying it should stay that way. I think it is kind of old fashion and why not make it a little easier as long as you stick with a certain pattern that closely matches. You will find some teachers, judges, etc, who will not budge from the tradition. In flats, except for F Major, they use to teach that you should end the scale with the same finger you started with. Actually, today, I am just excited when a student knows what a scale is. \:D

Moderator:  Archivist 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics
62996 Posts