Topic Options
#26797 - 06/14/00 09:45 PM Fingering
Eric Offline
Star Member

Loc: New York, NY
I encourage students to use the fingering in their music. And of course there are times when they find a different fingering that is more comfortable for their hand. I praise them up and down for "finding their own way" and write their fingering in the music. This is all well and good when they've come up with a decent fingering, but I have one student who is quite a character. He comes up with the most unorthodox fingering you can imagine. When I try to explain why his fingering isn't ideal, he gets pouty and insists that this "works for him." I'm not sure if I should let this slide or be militant about him doing a more "correct" fingering. Thoughts?

#26798 - 06/15/00 03:28 PM Re: Fingering
Christa Rapp Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Jackson, Missouri
I would definetly hold my ground. I am a firm believer in using correct fingering. I expect all of my students to use the fingering on the page unless we discuss otherwise. I tell them it's like finding their way to Wal-mart. If you take a different road everytime, you'll never learn how to get there. Just last week I made one of my second year students repeat a piece because they didn't use the fingering on the page. I am more relaxed with my late intermediate students and make sure all of my students with small hands have fingering that is best for them. We also write it in the music.

#26799 - 06/16/00 11:45 PM Re: Fingering
Eric Offline
Star Member

Loc: New York, NY
Agree. And most of my students DO follow the fingering in the books. But this one particular boy fancies himself an innovator; he wants to invent his *own* way of playing. Usually he defers to my wisdom on things, but occasionally, I feel like I need to let him forge his own unique path. After all, Chopin used extremely unorthodox fingering for his time, so who am I to say that this young man might not be the pianistic genuis?

Moderator:  Archivist 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics
62996 Posts