Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#26699 - 04/07/02 04:32 PM Re: Music for Little Mozarts (new thread)
alidoremi Offline
Star Member

Loc: California
In regards to 'parent participation', I wonder if it depends on what part of the US you live in, or big city vs. small town?

I live in a smaller city (250,000) and because the Harmony Road Course requires parent participation at each class, I depend on committed parents. Although I sometimes make it 'optional' for parents to attend class (but only for ages 10-up), almost all of the 150+ students enrolled come with their parent, grandma, etc...

However, I've noticed in larger cities (particularly Southern California), parents aren't as willing to be directly involved in their child's musical education. They just want to 'drop off' their child at various activities and go run errands.

I think parent participation (whether in a lesson or at home) is absolutely necessary if a child is to succeed in music. In my situation, parents who attend class are learning right along with their child. They know what's expected of their child and they know how to help with practicing at home.

I would even go so far as to say that this type of parental involvement prevents 'student dropout' later on. And my proof is that the parents who don't come to class, or who send a different person each week to accompany their child, are the ones who drop out first.

#26700 - 04/07/02 05:34 PM Re: Music for Little Mozarts (new thread)
bethann Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Nebraska
First of all, John, I never thanked you for all the wonderful ideas on alphabet work! With a baby and a toddler underfoot I don't answer posts as often as I would like!

Yeah, this teaching preschoolers is hard work with a lot of preparation. I have switched back to Bastien Piano Party (remember the bad things I said about it earlier? I'm still not crazy about it, but I needed SOMEWHERE to go with this girl.) It is OK at the early levels, but I don't want to go too far in this method - I especially hate those chords for tiny hands!

I am still getting so many requests for lessons for this age group. A local teacher of 40 students is leaving town, many of her students were this age, doing Suzuki - and it would be a shame for these children to stop taking lessons after they've been at it for awhile.

I am thinking of doing only small group lessons for this age group. I'm doing a little research on the best ways to teach them and games and such - so John, more input is ALWAYS welcome. I think I would like to do groups of 4 students. I wouldn't mind all the preparation if it were for more than one student. Also, the income from a small group would make it possible for me to spend more on materials, CDs and such.

#26701 - 04/07/02 07:42 PM Re: Music for Little Mozarts (new thread)
dlinder Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: Ohio
John has been a big help to me too! Thanks a lot John! \:D Right now the only young kids I have are my 4 year old daughter and a five year girl. I teach them together and so far it is working out really well. Both girls already know their alphabet backwards and forwards and can write and read the letters, know right from left, and so forth, so I'm not having to spend too much time there. They both love it, and I am going very, very slowly and am in no hurry to get them anywhere. We'll go at their pace, and as long as they are enjoying it, I am enjoying it, and the other girls parents are satisfied, we'll keep at it even if it takes forever.
I just found a website that might be useful to those of us teaching group lessons. I haven't had time yet to fully investigate it, but I did stop by the site for a brief moment earlier. It is www.grouppianoteacher.com. It is actually part of another site, and you have to follow the link on the left side of the page for group lessons.

#26702 - 04/07/02 10:41 PM Re: Music for Little Mozarts (new thread)
John Offline
Star Member

Loc: Bellingham, WA
\:o \:D

#26703 - 04/08/02 06:45 AM Re: Music for Little Mozarts (new thread)
Jalapeņo Offline
Star Member

It never ceases to amaze me how different kids are at this age. Not to brag, but just for comparison, my just-turned-4-year-old daughter knows more than the average 1st grader. All my other kids were that way, too. It really surprised me when, a few years ago, I got a 6-year-old student who didn't know his LH from his RH, etc. Based on how well he did with piano lessons (I had him in PA primer), I think he was bright enough; I suspect his parents just didn't spend enough time with him or something. Unfortunately, there are many other kids like him. \:\(

[ April 08, 2002: Message edited by: Jalapeņo ]

#26704 - 05/24/02 10:17 PM Re: Music for Little Mozarts (new thread)
MM Offline
Resident Member

For the average 4 - 5 year old, how long does each set of books last? (Set 1, 2, 3, and 4)

M.M.

#26705 - 08/23/02 03:49 PM Re: Music for Little Mozarts (new thread)
Jalapeņo Offline
Star Member

Thanks to Dr. Lisa for tipping me off about the Alfred offer for newly released MFLM books. I just ordered the packet, which contains 4 books total: 2 recital books + 2 Halloween books for MFLM levels 1 & 2.

Little Pepper is flying through the MFLM books. Yesterday, she actually taught herself a piece by looking at the picture of the hand & finger #, then looking at the letter name of the key she was supposed to play & reading the rhythm pattern notated in the book. The piece had rests in it, & she even remembered to take her finger off the key for the rests. \:\) [Don't you wish all piano students could/would do that?] I'm looking forward to teaching her songs out of the recital & Halloween books.

I don't know how long it's going to take my 4.5-year-old boy student to get through pre-primer. He doesn't seem to even know his ABCs, & he can't write yet, so I'm bracing myself for keeping him in MFLM and S&P level 1 for a long time. \:\(

#26706 - 08/25/02 07:00 AM Re: Music for Little Mozarts (new thread)
bethann Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Nebraska
I just had to post that my almost 3 year old daughter LOVES the CD that goes along with the MFLM Discovery Book. I popped it in one day when she was sick of all her other CDs (and we have many - Sesame Street, Kindermusik, Wee Sing, classical stuff...)

She loves doing all the activities, like If You're Happy and You Know It, the Mexican Hat Dance (which she yelled at her grandma for not saying "shhhhh" on the rests) Racing Car and more. And the classical pieces on it are really appealing to her. She likes looking for Beethoven's "lost penny" and talks about the loud and soft sounds in Mozart's "Variations on Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star."

I don't know how she would do with the whole curriculum (I'm going to wait until she's older) but these CDs get a big thumbs up in my book!

#26707 - 08/25/02 12:43 PM Re: Music for Little Mozarts (new thread)
Jennifer Online   content
Star Member

Loc: AZ
I just thought I would go ahead and jump in...

I am going be starting group lessons through MFLM in September. I did a lot of research on the series. I even tried it with my daughter (just turned 6) in Level 1. (I never really got into the story with her.)

When I taught it to her I didn't have the CD's, handbook, animals or anything. I then decided to jump in a get the whole thing and decided to start advertising. I have 9 kids signed up and am going to be teaching two classes. I must say I am really excited. I really think this series will serve best at the group level.

I told the parents this course was a preperation for piano. By the time they were completed with the series, they will be well-prepared to start private piano lessons. One thing I really like about this series is- I have found, it's not just about learning to play the piano. It's about total musicianship at the preschool level.

My daughter loves the CD and absolutely adores the animals. I am really interested to see how it works out. I personally forsee success mostly because I am teaching with a group of kids in more of a class setting. If anyone is interested, I'll keep you updated on how things go. \:\)

#26708 - 08/25/02 01:44 PM Re: Music for Little Mozarts (new thread)
MM Offline
Resident Member

Jennifer,

You're right - the series does work best with group students. I've not done it with a group class myself, but my teacher did. I just started using it with a private student though, and I think she will do very well - she's enjoying it anyway. (Although when doing the 'Hello' song, she kind of looked at me like I was crazy when I tried to get her to do the hand motions. She liked 'If You're Happy and You Know It' though.)

Any solo pre-reading sheets you (or anyone) finds that will work with each level, let me know.

Jala - when you get the recital books in, let me know what the pieces are like - do they have recognizable tunes?

MM

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Archivist 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums