Page 11 of 11 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11
Topic Options
#26586 - 08/08/02 02:18 PM Re: Music Makers: At The Keyboard
LMC Offline

Loc: Bella Vista, Arkansas USA
I just have to put in my two cents worth.

Most of the parents of 3,4,and 5 year olds are of the generation that probably did not have music in their schools because that was the trend in the 1980's. That is why in 1979 I quit teaching in the public schools. Budget cuts were wiping out music programs left and right.

Most of the parents of these children waited to have their family until they could "afford" it. They wanted to work on their careers and have their homes fully furnished with money in the bank before bringing any children into the picture.

Because they had/have the money they want to enroll their children in any and every program that seems to care for their precious little ones. Without the background of movement to music, rhythm bands, singing and dancing, these parents often don't know how to do these things with their children. Besides the children are surrounded by material possessions that the parents and grandparents have lavished upon them. So these kids rarely have a moment to audiate and experience sound much less sway to the beat of any music.

Many of the parents spend their days at work and dedicate their afternoons and evenings to programs for their children. Even in those homes where the Mom has decided to stay at home for the children they are not "Stay at Home Moms". They take their children to "Play Dates", "Mothers Day Out" and (your guessed it) "Group Lessons".

So these programs really fill a niche.

There are some music teachers who should teach this age child and those who should not. I would never try to persuade those on one side of this fence to change.

I happen to love little ones and really enjoy teaching them. I use Music For Little Mozarts, Bastiens' Invitation to Music, Sing & Play, Alfred's Prep Course and Musikgarten materials in my lessons. In addition I refer to my college textbooks other Early Childhood materials. I currently teach 4 pre-schoolers, 4 kindergarteners and a bunch of first graders in addition to all of my other students. I teach them all in private lessons except once a month when I hold group classes broken down by ages.

I would love to start some early childhood group classes. But I wouldn't know what to do with the graduates. My schedule if FULL to the max.

Well that is more like $20 dollars worth. So I'll bow out now.

#26587 - 08/08/02 02:51 PM Re: Music Makers: At The Keyboard
Jalapeņo Offline
Star Member

Yes, these programs do fill a niche. No doubt about that. But it's sad, IMO, that parents either can't or won't spend time engaging in musical activities with their children. It doesn't take much talent, does it, to go to a music store & buy a couple of classical CDs, come home & listen to them with your child? That would be a step in the right direction. It seems to me that parents are more interested in paying others to raise their children, rather than raising their children themselves. Now that I've stuck both feet in my mouth, I'll shut up. \:o

Page 11 of 11 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11

Moderator:  Archivist 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics