Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#26427 - 03/01/01 05:13 PM Re: Early Elementary Music
Carole Offline
Star Member

Loc: southern California
I have a 5 yr. old in PA primer and she started in the fall of last year. We go very slowly and I supplement alot with games, and she is doing just fine. Also her mother sits in on every lesson and helps her at home. This is so important! She is on page 46 of the primer level. I "test" (thru games) her every week and believe she understands completely. I intend, though, not to hurry anything-just nice and slow and much supplement. I also have a male 5 yr. old that started about 3 mo. ago. He is very active and loves to sing with everything. So cute! I have to really stay on top of him to get anything across. He is also in primer and doing ok-going very slowly also with many games.

#26428 - 03/01/01 08:55 PM Re: Early Elementary Music
Musica Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Montreal, Qc, Canada
Hi Carole,

If you don't my asking what do you use for supplement. I use the Lesson, Theory, & Technique books for the lessons and the Performance for supplement, along with the Alfred books. But I think you are right about going slowly. So therefore, your way of supplementing heavily is the way. If you can suggest other stuff it would be great.

Thanks

Cody, you are right every student is different, boy I learnt that the hard way in the past 3 years. I have an 8 year old who can't get through 2 pages in a lesson. Mind you she was a transfer student a lot of undoing has to be done.

Thanks for your responses.

#26429 - 03/01/01 09:29 PM Re: Early Elementary Music
Carole Offline
Star Member

Loc: southern California
Musica, I have alot of games I have made that we play. Our favorite is a Go Fish for notes game. Just a ruler with a shoelace and magnet attached and some fish shapes made from that flourescent poster board. Have keyboard notes on a set of fish, staff notes on another set,and a few other things we haven't gotten to yet. Her 3 yr. old sister sits in lessons too and they play the game "together". Have other games too that use flashcards . I try to have something new to play each week-only takes 5 min.or so for the game.I believe these games really reinforce what we do sitting at the piano and I find out quickly what is understood. I also use the primer lesson, theory, performance and may add a pretime book toward the end of primer.

#26430 - 03/02/01 08:42 AM Re: Early Elementary Music
Jalapeņo Offline
Star Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Musica:
Hi Carole,

If you don't my asking what do you use for supplement. I use the Lesson, Theory, & Technique books for the lessons and the Performance for supplement, along with the Alfred books. But I think you are right about going slowly. So therefore, your way of supplementing heavily is the way. If you can suggest other stuff it would be great.

Thanks

Cody, you are right every student is different, boy I learnt that the hard way in the past 3 years. I have an 8 year old who can't get through 2 pages in a lesson. Mind you she was a transfer student a lot of undoing has to be done.

Thanks for your responses.

I wholeheartedly agree that heavily supplementation is important, especially in the beginning levels of study.

#26431 - 03/30/01 08:43 PM Re: Early Elementary Music
John Offline
Star Member

Loc: Bellingham, WA
Regarding Early-Elementary supplements, you MUST check out Hal Leonard's Piano Solos Book 1 and USE THE C.D! Boys especially love this book and CD, with titles like Mr. Machine (clusters), Toes in the Sand (with improvisation between the 'tune'), and Hard as a Rock (rock & roll beat). In terms of the QUALITY OF THE MUSIC, Faber and Hal Leonard are far above the rest.

[ March 30, 2001: Message edited by: John Bisceglia ]

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Archivist 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums