Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#26249 - 06/24/05 05:28 AM Re: Would you recommend Developing Artist Library or other?
Emily Offline
Contributing Member

Loc: Thornton, CO
Can I add the Masterpieces with Flair and Melodious Masterpieces edited by Jane McGrath? They have some fun pieces in them and include a suggested order of learning.

#26250 - 06/28/05 04:18 AM Re: Would you recommend Developing Artist Library or other?
songbird Offline
Resident Member

Loc: USA
jstmom:

I am curious why your teacher doesn't teach her students classical music unless the parent requests it? Also interesting to me is that she doesn't have a "preference" on which books to use. I don't mean to rouse undue suspicion about your teacher, as I'm sure she's wonderful, however, it may be (and in fact it sounds to me) that this teacher does not have experience teaching the classics? If you would like your daughter to learn classical music, it is VERY important to have a teacher who knows how to teach them, as someone mentioned on here even just knowing the differences in the styles of music matters when it comes to teaching the classicals. Something for you to consider. Now, I'm not assuming your daughter will be pruned for a career as a concert pianist, but you still want to get what you are paying for and there are TONS of teachers out there who have years experience teaching classical music. I wonder why this teacher doesn't?

Just something to think about.

Quote:
Originally posted by jstmom:
Thanks for the suggestions. Susan, I had talked to the teacher and she says she is excited to help my daughter learn classical music. She had no real preference on the classical piano book which is why I asked for reccomendations here. Also my daughter won't be learning them on her own just with the teacher. Thanks.

#26251 - 06/28/05 04:59 AM Re: Would you recommend Developing Artist Library or other?
songbird Offline
Resident Member

Carole, I'd be interested to know how you've used the CDs in your teaching? Do you always agree with the way the pieces are played?

Quote:
Originally posted by Carole:
They are both excellent. I have used both successfully. Bastien 3 has alot of literature for your bucks. I DO like having the Cds, but they are a bit pricey at about $13 each set (1&2 and 3)last time I looked.

#26252 - 06/28/05 05:01 AM Re: Would you recommend Developing Artist Library or other?
songbird Offline
Resident Member

By the way, Alfred has started bundling the Masterwork Classics CDs with the books, so now it is MUCH cheaper to have the CDs as well. In fact, you can't buy the books without the CDs anymore. Too bad for anyone who doesn't like the CDs, but great deal for those of us who do!

Alfred was saying the cost of the CD covers/packaging was what made them the price they were. Now, I think you can get a book with the CD for just $10.

#26253 - 07/01/05 03:46 PM Re: Would you recommend Developing Artist Library or other?
PFVTeach Offline
Resident Member

I've always used the CDS that come with books for students to get a sense of the dynamics and development of the piece from section to section OR between movements in a piece. It has really been helpful when they reach the intermediate stages and really has helped them hear and listen closely in their playing as well- both with songs that are on a CD and one's without.
For my group classes it really gives them the experience of an "orchestra" without having one and forces them to count as their instrument part is usually eliminated on the group CDS so it is beneficial there as well. It also makes practicing for students more fun because they can "play along" with some of the CDS that are out there now.
Both myself and students have enjoyed the way many publishers are now bundling the book and CD into one package for a great price. It works well that most of them don't go over $10.00 range too since alot of people are getting very budget conscience about things these days.

#26254 - 07/01/05 05:39 PM Re: Would you recommend Developing Artist Library or other?
GeeTee Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Midwest
 Quote:
Originally posted by songbird:

I am curious why your teacher doesn't teach her students classical music unless the parent requests it? Also interesting to me is that she doesn't have a "preference" on which books to use. I don't mean to rouse undue suspicion about your teacher, as I'm sure she's wonderful, however, it may be (and in fact it sounds to me) that this teacher does not have experience teaching the classics? If you would like your daughter to learn classical music, it is VERY important to have a teacher who knows how to teach them, as someone mentioned on here even just knowing the differences in the styles of music matters when it comes to teaching the classicals.
Songbird, my reaction was the very same.

#26255 - 07/01/05 05:42 PM Re: Would you recommend Developing Artist Library or other?
GeeTee Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Midwest
Speaking of the Developing Artist series and CDs, I wonder why the FJH hasn't included CDs with these books? This would enhance them tremendously. While I do like this set, I'm quicker to turn to those intermediate series that DO include or at least offer a CD.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Archivist 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics