Topic Options
#26232 - 03/19/05 12:49 PM Nancy & Randall Faber Achievement Solos
keynote88 Offline
Resident Member

Piano Teachers and Fabers:

There are several different solos available for each level in the Piano Adventures Method. At which unit/concept are the solos used, or can they be chosen and used at any point in each level? Thanks so much!

-keynote88

#26233 - 03/19/05 01:30 PM Re: Nancy & Randall Faber Achievement Solos
jaydub2 Offline
Resident Member

Loc: WA
I'm not sure about the each solo...that would probably be at your discretion.

Last summer I attended a workshop that R. Faber presented and he said the books (favorites, popular, hymns, etc) were to be introduced about half way through the level. For instance, the PreTime books are usuable when the student is approx. half way through primer level. Playtime would be half way through level 1...(you get the idea).

#26234 - 03/20/05 02:02 AM Re: Nancy & Randall Faber Achievement Solos
pianoc Offline
Star Member

Loc: Goshen, Indiana
Occassionally I use the books that way - and I did hear Randall suggest this also. My favorite way to use the books is to wait until a student has completed their level of books. Then I spread the supplementary books out on the floor - talk about each one, play a few from each book - and then they get 2 weeks to play anything out of the books that they want to - and play 2-3 of their favorites for me.

Most of them love the freedom - and are able to play all the songs. I get to tell them that the reason for taking piano lessons is to be able to play the piano for fun - and they do think it's fun. A few won't be able to play the songs on their own, so we'll take a few more weeks in the books. They generally need a little more time at the same level before moving on, so this helps with that.

#26235 - 03/20/05 10:14 AM Re: Nancy & Randall Faber Achievement Solos
reimermom Offline
Contributing Member

Loc: Canada
I'm too cheap to buy all the supplementary books for all the levels I guess! \:\)

I just compile a list of all the names of the songs and they get to pick from that, instead of the actual book.

#26236 - 03/20/05 03:33 PM Re: Nancy & Randall Faber Achievement Solos
pianoannie Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: midwest USA
 Quote:
Originally posted by reimermom:
I'm too cheap to buy all the supplementary books for all the levels I guess! \:\)

I just compile a list of all the names of the songs and they get to pick from that, instead of the actual book.
I don't get what you're saying. What is the point of picking a song if you don't have the books for them to play out of?

Edited:
I must have been very tired when I was here yesterday. It seems clear now what you were saying (I think). You let them see the song list, and pick a book based on the song list. You just don't have the actual book to give them until they've picked one.
I have no idea why that confused me! \:o

#26237 - 03/21/05 01:34 AM Re: Nancy & Randall Faber Achievement Solos
pianoc Offline
Star Member

Loc: Goshen, Indiana
I don't have all ALL the supplementary books for ALL the levels. I have most of them for the primer and level 1, and then only 2-3 for the other levels after that. As they get more advanced, I have more sheet music for them, and only play one or two songs between books. Some of them don't even want to do that. I give them a choice - do you want to take a break from your books for a few weeks and play some other songs, or do you want to get into your new books. They choose.

#26238 - 03/21/05 03:44 AM Re: Nancy & Randall Faber Achievement Solos
Emilymae Offline
Resident Member

Pianoc, I think it's a great idea to have the books out to choose from. very exiting for the student! I do this with the pretime, playtime, and so on books. For other books, not by Faber, I may choose 1 or 2 and then let them decide. So the PlayTime style books seems to be the one time the choice is all up to them, it's very motivating and well worth keeping them in stock!

Moderator:  Archivist 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics
62996 Posts