Topic Options
#26222 - 08/24/05 11:42 AM Level 4 Technique
salthouse Offline

Loc: MIchigan
For those of you who use Level 4, what do you use for Technique since there is not anything by the Fabers at that level? It's amazing to me that a level that covers sixteenth notes, chord inversions, minor scales and two-octave scales does not include a Techique book!

#26223 - 08/24/05 12:48 PM Re: Level 4 Technique
Carole Offline
Star Member

Loc: southern California
I feel sure they will come out with one. I think they have spent alot of time on the preschool PA, which is good also! I sometimes use the upper levels of Fingerpower, the rest by using the Snell Fundamentals of theory and then incorporating it to the piano.

#26224 - 08/24/05 09:25 PM Re: Level 4 Technique
mirlou Offline
Resident Member

Loc: The Netherlands
From a JFH e-mail I got a few months ago I heard that Level 4 Technique & Artistry is going to be released at the end of this year, as well as level 6 lesson book. Mut maybe preschool PA has priority now, seems they are working hard to get this released.

#26225 - 08/25/05 02:29 AM Re: Level 4 Technique
Christine Offline

Last week, I went to a workshop given by Randall Faber. He said that Level 6 is on hold right now. They have been pushing to get the Preschool method out, which he said is coming out in March 2006. Nothing was said on Technique 4.

#26226 - 08/25/05 02:59 AM Re: Level 4 Technique
Lisa Kalmar Offline
Star Member

Loc: KC
I read the Level 4 T & A coming soon blurb recently (maybe one of the FJH flyers?) recently also. Check out Level 3 Artistry at the Piano Musicianship book for technical stuff with 16ths and more. Each unit has Hanon-like exercises as well as other huge things packed into tiny little packages that are easy to overlook as a teacher if you're not careful. I LOVE how it systematically teaches 16th rhythm pattern combos (what the Fabers call "chunking" and similiar to how Alfred is copying PA with its new method) with short little 2-line pieces that are artistic & stylistical masterpieces. For more follow-up, you can use the Repertoire book, which has longer pieces.

#26227 - 08/25/05 03:01 AM Re: Level 4 Technique
Lisa Kalmar Offline
Star Member

PS Christine, if you took any notes and have the time, would you mind giving us a full workshop report in the thread I started for such reports? I am curious what he covered this year. Thanks, and pretty please!

#26228 - 08/25/05 04:41 AM Re: Level 4 Technique
songbird Offline
Resident Member

Loc: USA
I also use a Dozen a Day (Book Two), Hanon and Czerny for that level.

#26229 - 08/25/05 04:47 AM Re: Level 4 Technique
jaydub2 Offline
Resident Member

Loc: WA
 Quote:
Originally posted by Lisa Kalmar:
I read the Level 4 T & A coming soon blurb recently (maybe one of the FJH flyers?) recently also. Check out Level 3 Artistry at the Piano Musicianship book for technical stuff with 16ths and more. .............. with short little 2-line pieces that are artistic & stylistical masterpieces. For more follow-up, you can use the Repertoire book, which has longer pieces.
Lisa, Could you please give the formal title and publisher of the book you are talking about. thanks I would like to see this first hand.

#26230 - 08/25/05 05:17 AM Re: Level 4 Technique
Lisa Kalmar Offline
Star Member

Artistry at the Piano, by Jon & Mary Gae George

Level 3, Musicianship & Repertoire books (also a theory and ensemble book as part of each level of the series)

Formerly published by Warner, which was bought out by Alfred last year, which seems to be making things disappear these days.

If you are unfamiliar with the series you should also check out level 2. I think the systematic approach to teaching intermediate level technique along with Jon George's brilliant compositions is probably one of the greatest things in the history of pedagogy. Even if you do not use the method, it will change how you teach intermediate fundamentals. (To get more info than is available from looking at the series, you can buy copies of tapes from summer seminars Mary Gae used to do when it first came out directly from her. _

If you have trouble ordering it through the catalogs, do a google search and contact Mary Gae direct through her website. I think I heard you can buy stuff through her. Here's a link to get you started:

http://www.greywolf-artistry.com/overview.html

#26231 - 08/25/05 05:52 AM Re: Level 4 Technique
Jennifer Online   content
Star Member

Loc: AZ
Lisa,

I just thought you would be interested to know that our local MTA group will be visiting Mary Gae George in 2 weeks at her studio. We'll be there for 3 hours! I'm really looking forward to it. \:D

Moderator:  Archivist 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics
62996 Posts