Topic Options
#26217 - 08/25/05 04:33 AM PA Level 1 Misses a Beat
songbird Offline
Resident Member

Loc: USA
I've been using PA for about 5 years now, and just now noticed in Level 1, students are introduced to RH High C position, but are not introduced to G position until later. How are they then expected to know RH Treble B (below Treble C) in the song "No Moon Tonight." Now, I KNOW that only Page Turner Teachers \:D would be hampered terribly by a student being expected to play a note not yet formally introduced in the method book, but I do think that just for consistency's sake, and to "warn" the teacher, something should be said about the new note B in the book before the student is expected to play it.

I know it's not a huge deal, but was wondering if the Fabers even realized this? I am perfectly satisfied teaching the student that note before they get to that song (even though they won't see that one note again for awhile, and by that time have probably forgotten all about it!).

Well, maybe it would just be another good opportunity to teach note reading by steps for unfamiliar notes and then move on. I'm fine with that.

Anybody else notice this before?

#26218 - 08/25/05 04:41 AM Re: PA Level 1 Misses a Beat
jaydub2 Offline
Resident Member

Loc: WA
Yes - it really isn't recognized until they go to G-position at the end of PA 1.

#26219 - 08/25/05 04:43 AM Re: PA Level 1 Misses a Beat
songbird Offline
Resident Member

I would be interested to hear from the Fabers on this one as well, if possible \:\)

#26220 - 08/25/05 05:49 AM Re: PA Level 1 Misses a Beat
songbird Offline
Resident Member

so, jaydub, whattya think about that?

#26221 - 09/19/05 12:11 PM Re: PA Level 1 Misses a Beat
Randall Faber Global Moderator Offline
Resident Member

Good observation, Songbird. I've never had a student notice it. As you mention, the intervallic reading takes care of the note, which is as it should be.

We are not shy about forcing the student to read by direction. For example, Paper Airplane (also Mr. Bluebird in the Primer) has too many new notes to read by note-name alone. This is intentional to ensure directional reading. No Moon Tonight similarly requires both note-name recognition and intervallic reading. We were aware of the B but disregarded it as an issue in favor of a satisfying piece and encouraging stepwise reading. Thanks for mentioning this and hope you feel the same.

All the best,
Randy and Nancy

Moderator:  Archivist 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums