Topic Options
#26209 - 12/13/05 12:16 PM From Alfred's to Piano Adventures
jen7 Offline

Loc: south Texas
Hi! I posted on this topic back in '03, and would love some help again with transitioning students from Alfred's to P.A.

I have 3 students (from the same family) that are somewhat new, and they are in Alfred's. I had hoped to just finish up the books they were currently in, and then switch over to P.A. I now feel that the switch needs to come sooner!! (in January)

One is near the end of 1B, and I think I will put her in P.A. 2A. Her sight-reading and rhythm is great.

The next is in the middle of level 2... so would she go into level 2B of P.A.? She doesn't seem to learn her pieces very thoroughly.

The oldest is in the beginning of level 3... does that mean level 3A? He likes to play by ear, and struggles with sight-reading.

I thought I could add some extra books relating to their different needs, but for the most part, just stick with the Lesson, Theory, Technique, and maybe Performance books. (I don't want the younger ones to hear ALL the pieces they will one day play)

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for your time!
Jennifer

#26210 - 12/13/05 01:56 PM Re: From Alfred's to Piano Adventures
Lisa Kalmar Offline
Star Member

Loc: KC
If it's an Alfred transfer, I usually go back at least a level in PA. So a 3 Alfred would be in 2A, etc.

If they can't read or count I take them clear back and fast track them through, starting with My Invention in the primer, being sure to place the emphasis on the technique (especially the use of the braced thumb throughout and the intervallic approach of PA, which is so easy to miss or ignore.) Alfred is so piecemeal, based on results from every transfer I've ever seen, that I would rather leave no stone unturned and give them a fighting chance.

#26211 - 12/14/05 11:29 AM Re: From Alfred's to Piano Adventures
unreal Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: CA
Oh yeah, you've got to make the switch ASAP! Who can stand to finish an Alfred book? I know I can't. But ditto to what Lisa said--don't go from Alfred 1B to Faber 2A! I tried it with a couple of bright kids who played well and it was a disaster. They don't have enough of ANYTHING from Alfred to make that transition. Move 'em back at least one level and just explain that the Flying Piano books number their series differently.

#26212 - 12/15/05 08:04 AM Re: From Alfred's to Piano Adventures
jen7 Offline

Loc: south Texas
thanks for the help!

I'm really not sure if I should go back a level though... I switched one student before, and she had no trouble at all. (?)

What I'd LOVE to do is have them each go through one of the new Gold Star Performance books, but they aren't available in all the levels yet!

#26213 - 12/15/05 10:53 AM Re: From Alfred's to Piano Adventures
mirlou Offline
Resident Member

Loc: The Netherlands
I transferred a couple of students without problems from Alfred 1B to Faber 2A, Alfred 2 to Faber 2B, Alfred 3 to Faber 3A

Had 2 students with problems and transferred them to a lower level, because they were bad reading notes. I think that is the biggest problem in transferring from Alfred. They can't read and have difficulties intervallic reading and have problems with different positions and new notes. But I think good readers can switch without problems, but need extra attention on the technical part, the Faber approach could be all new to them.

#26214 - 12/16/05 03:41 AM Re: From Alfred's to Piano Adventures
unreal Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: CA
Wouldn't it be better to back up a level now, rather than wait to see if there are problems and THEN back up? I'd rather have them quickly review than to make them think they need remedial work. (Perceived success rather than perceived failure.) Actually I don't think it really IS backing up, despite how the books are numbered, because the Faber books cover so much more.

#26215 - 12/16/05 05:43 AM Re: From Alfred's to Piano Adventures
Bootero Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Houston Tx
I have switched several students from Alfred to Piano Adventures, too, without much of a hitch. I don't dislike Alfred, but I think PA is more appealing for kids today. I think the parents I have are more apt to complain about the cost of another set of books very quickly. Sad, but true.

#26216 - 12/17/05 03:13 AM Re: From Alfred's to Piano Adventures
Susan Offline
Star Member

Loc: Texas
It really depends on the student. I found the biggest problem is that the Alfred student can play by intervals, but only in a few keys. A student who has completed PA Level 1 can play in F and C and octave above middle C. An Alfred student might not have any trouble in 2B until page 15 when he comes to a position he's never played before. There are several more problem pieces in 2A, but not that many. However, in the PA method, there is the assumption that the student has learned the concepts in Level 1. If the student is one that struggles, it can make piano lessons difficult. What I usually do is move them back into in PA Level 1, but use their old book along with it as sightreading.

Moderator:  Archivist 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics
62996 Posts