Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#26189 - 11/15/04 11:27 AM Re: Piano Adventure Christmas Books
PFVTeach Offline
Resident Member

Loc: USA
why would you have older kids or adults in pre reading? I've never heard of such a thing. All my adults start in a primer style book or material from an adult series and work up- same with older beginning kids at a certain point.

#26190 - 11/15/04 11:27 AM Re: Piano Adventure Christmas Books
Gail Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Alpharetta, GA
I would almost be inclined to teach them a song or 2 by rote--like Silent Night--easy to teach the first line because it moves down in steps and the third line is the same. JMO... \:\)

#26191 - 11/15/04 11:31 AM Re: Piano Adventure Christmas Books
PFVTeach Offline
Resident Member

Loc: USA
Gail, good brain storm here.. I like it. You could do the rote thing for sure on songs like first noel (basically a scale) and others and then extend it to showing them how to write down the notes on a piece of manuscripting paper.
This way they get the great ear training of rote but also good theory experience in connecting the key to the staff by writing it down.

#26192 - 11/15/04 05:45 PM Re: Piano Adventure Christmas Books
Gail Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Alpharetta, GA
Well, I looked back at my post and said, "What was I thinking? Silent Night doesn't move down in steps!!" I was thinking of "Away in a Manger" (DUH!!), although "The First Noel" and "Joy to the World" would also be easy to teach by rote. I really like PFVTeach's idea of tying ear training to theory by having the student write down the notes and rhythm. \:\)

#26193 - 11/15/04 07:48 PM Re: Piano Adventure Christmas Books
Susan Offline
Star Member

Loc: Texas
Lilla, for your adult and older students who are just sarting out and don't read music yet, I would give them Playtime Christmas. Adults and teenagers learn to read easy positions [with notes divided between the hands like this book] quite quickly. They can play the rhythm by ear. I would hesitate using prereading more than a week with adults and older teenagers because generally speaking they want more of a challenge.

#26194 - 11/16/04 11:43 AM Re: Piano Adventure Christmas Books
Lilla Offline
Star Member

Loc: Chicago
Thanks for suggestions. I should have clarified. These are brand new students working on Amazing Grace from Faber Adult 1 - thus the pre-reading. They love playing that piece and go home impressing their family and friends. I just wanted to continue that success for a week or so while they got the beginning notes under their belt. As for pre-reading for adults - it's not only about the notes. It's also about learning the fingering, using the arm weight, adding the dynamics. It's a lot for a beginner who knows nothing. Even though they learn qickly, there is still that initial period of time when I don't want them overwhelmed or frustrated. I try to make Christmas fun and easy. Thanks again.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Archivist 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics