Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#26179 - 11/13/04 03:00 PM Piano Adventure Christmas Books
Eric Offline
Star Member

Loc: New York, NY
How many of you have used the Piano Adventure Christmas Books? Do you use them as a break from the regular method book, or as a supplement?

#26180 - 11/13/04 05:11 PM Re: Piano Adventure Christmas Books
Christine/Pelirroja Offline
Resident Member

Loc: CA, USA
Yes, I use the PA Christmas books. I mostly use it as a supplement--we slow down to 1/2 speed in the method book. I use the stocking stuffers, and we do one new Christmas song a week. The songs seem easier than the method book, and the kids are more motivated so they tend to get them quite fast.

Only if a student is completely burned out on method books do I use this as a time to put it away for a while.

#26181 - 11/13/04 06:39 PM Re: Piano Adventure Christmas Books
Carole Offline
Star Member

Loc: southern California
I use more Pre-Bigtime Christmas books than the PA Christmas. I just think they have more music. (I have also added some Hal Leonard books too). I assign maybe 3 Christmas pieces a week and have them continue to play the ones they passed. Usually we do slow down on other music but may keep going with one or two things. This holiday I am putting together more duets and even a few trios so they have that extra music to work on in addition to solos.

#26182 - 11/13/04 11:19 PM Re: Piano Adventure Christmas Books
Susan Offline
Star Member

Loc: Texas
I rarely use the PA Christmas books. I use the Pretime-Bigtime because there are more pieces as well as a good balance between sacred and secular. The students like them better.

#26183 - 11/14/04 07:49 AM Re: Piano Adventure Christmas Books
Lisa Kalmar Offline
Star Member

Loc: KC
For primer and level one, I use the PA books. Kids love the calendar and I like the stocking stuffers. After that I might give them a choice, but I usually use either the PA or the other FJH choices until they hit Catherine Rollin and company age & level.

#26184 - 11/14/04 09:13 AM Re: Piano Adventure Christmas Books
PFVTeach Offline
Resident Member

Loc: USA
I use them for students who either just moved up to a new level OR who are about to. This way they get a huge esteem boost that they have music to play in their new level but also music a bit easier from their lesson books that can let them shine with skills they know all ready.
When they get to be intermediate age I pick and choose a few from the PA books but usually find them a different supplemental book to work out of from their on that matches their abilities better.

#26185 - 11/14/04 03:47 PM Re: Piano Adventure Christmas Books
DaisyZ Offline

I have a little guy who wants to do Christmas stuff- we're only at Partners at Sea so far and have just barely started with staff reading. I'm not sure if he's ready for the primer Christmas book yet- or should we just jump in?

#26186 - 11/14/04 08:30 PM Re: Piano Adventure Christmas Books
Carole Offline
Star Member

Loc: southern California
It's hard to know what to do when a student is at the inbetween stage. My thought is to put him in Faber's Pre-reading Christmas. The first 5 or so pieces are off-staff and the last two or three are on. If he is a child that learns quickly and thrives on new things, I'd go with PA primer Christmas or Pretime Christmas.

#26187 - 11/15/04 06:24 AM Re: Piano Adventure Christmas Books
jane 2 Offline

Loc: Holland, Michigan
I don't really like the pre-reading Christmas book. The children have more trouble following which is right or left hand with those floating notes. I do like the primer book. It has a very nice selection of pieces, some easier than others. If the student isn't reading much yet, I pencil finger numbers in lightly so they can be erased the following year. If they know a few notes I don't number those.

#26188 - 11/15/04 11:02 AM Re: Piano Adventure Christmas Books
Lilla Offline
Star Member

Loc: Chicago
I agree that the floating notes cause some confusion. When that happens, I first take a colored pencil or highlighter and draw a continuous line through the notes. If that doesn't work, I take a highlighter and draw a line horizontally, explaining that it is really two staves (RH, LH). I sometimes take just the LH notes when there are only a few, and draw a small highlighted box around them, indicating LH. That usually solves the problem. I think the Faber pre-reader is an excellent Christmas book. The young kids love the note-search puzzxles.

I have many other students in the stocking stuffer books, and if they have already done that but aren't ready for a different level, we use the supplemental. For the students who excel, and need fuller pieces, the supplemental are good choices.

My big problem this year - what to do with adults and older kids who are pre-reading? Faber's pre-reader is a bit young for them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Archivist 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics