Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#26177 - 08/27/04 11:34 AM Re: New teacher - please help!
Ginger Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Indianapolis, Indiana
 Quote:
learn to ANTICIPATE what THEIR problems are going to be. Show them - tell them - have them work through it - before they go home and practice it.

That is very true. I think that the more I teach from PA, the more I get to know each piece and where most students need help.

With beginners I like to have them play each piece for me before they go home. After the primer level, depending on the student, I'll let them learn a some pieces at home. I'll play them or let them check out my CD so that they know how it is supposed to sound. Sometimes, I'll just give them a piece and send them home without help just to see how they do the next week. Sometimes they do well. When there are mistakes to take care of the next week, then we'll talk about how they should practice and what will solve this specific problem.

I use all 4 books. I love the performance. It gives them a chance to remember what they have learned in the lesson book. I love the technique too. By teaching out of the technique early in the lesson, it's easy to reinforce the technique learned when they are learning the new songs in the lesson or performance book!

#26178 - 08/28/04 05:45 PM Re: New teacher - please help!
Susan Offline
Star Member

Loc: Texas
 Quote:
Originally posted by pianoc:
I only teach 30 minute lessons and I still use all 4 books.

\:D I gotta learn to talk faster.

But seriously, I got the idea not to use all the books in a 30 minute lessons from a Faber workshop.
That said, I sure use all of them for a student who just cannot move very fast. It's quite necessary.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Archivist 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics