Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#26127 - 08/27/04 06:06 AM Re: Randall Faber Workshop Notes
Dolce Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: USA
 Quote:
Originally posted by Lisa Kalmar:
[b] At this point a BHB tried to nail him on rotation with a steely glint in her eyes.

What is a BHB? Blue Haired Babe?
Big Happy Baby?

[ 08-27-2004: Message edited by: Dolce ]

#26128 - 08/27/04 06:29 AM Re: Randall Faber Workshop Notes
Vivace' Offline
Star Member

Lisa,
Thank you VERY much for all the valuable information. I'm printing every word!

Dolce,
You made me choke on my bagel \:D

BHB definition would be deleted by the moderator.....I'll send you a private note \:D

#26129 - 08/27/04 06:31 AM Re: Randall Faber Workshop Notes
Lisa Kalmar Offline
Star Member

Loc: KC
I have a feeling Sweet Dolce knew exactly what she was asking. You are wicked, wicked women.... \:D \:D \:D \:D \:D

#26130 - 08/27/04 06:33 AM Re: Randall Faber Workshop Notes
Vivace' Offline
Star Member

\:D I'm sure you're right, Lisa.
I'm so gullible \:D

#26131 - 08/27/04 06:35 AM Re: Randall Faber Workshop Notes
Lisa Kalmar Offline
Star Member

;\) \:D

#26132 - 08/27/04 06:40 AM Re: Randall Faber Workshop Notes
Dolce Offline
Mainstay Member

REALLY I didn't!!!

But I'm terrifically flattered that you thought I was causing trouble ;\) \:D

#26133 - 08/27/04 07:06 AM Re: Randall Faber Workshop Notes
Lisa Kalmar Offline
Star Member

More: Level 2 PA Accelerated

This last section is brief. I'm not sure, but I think he was directing this to Arlene! ;\)

Regarding 5-finger positions and the standard "attacks" he gets on 'em, his answer is/was, "Why SHOULDN'T we? Duh , we have FIVE fingers on each hand!

(Please realize I paraphrased that last part a wee bit. ;\) )

The familiarity of this pattern allows a student to take chunks of music out of the music rather than reading note by note. Another aside from moi: The Fabers are bigtime into "chunking" in just about everything, especially rhythm and interval patterns, and it's part of their overall genius sequencing scheme. It's very subtle, especially if you cut your pedagogical teeth with Frances and company. Yet it starts smacking you in the face when you are aware of and looking for it. I first heard him give it that name in one of the PA Teacher magazines.

Chords - It's easy to spot them when they are Snowmen. (Again, see his article in the magazine on this.) The trick is for students to find them when they are bumped, or "tumbled", over. Nancy's actual verbiage working with a student in the DVD was, "This is our tumble."

Adult Series
Basically he says we need to give them stuff they want to do from the start....amateur orientation..."The process is the product"...adults can play Amazing Grace at the 1st lesson. They want that more than our teacherly extreme Knowledge About Everything.

Level 2 has expanded theory lessons.

That's all, folks! There was also plenty to see on the DVD pieces of Nancy working with the soon-to-be-new My First Piano Adventure books. It is extremely educational to observe her teach. She is a very verbal teacher, and she also sings a lot during lessons. I wish they would give week long workshops in the summers that teachers might travel to. It would certainly be worth it!

#26134 - 08/27/04 07:10 AM Re: Randall Faber Workshop Notes
Dolce Offline
Mainstay Member

Week long Faber Workshops!!! I would be there in an instant!!!

Ever since I've seen my first Faber video presentation, I've been drooling over the idea of videos for teachers, made by the Fabers, for all of the Piano Adventures books. They would be like auditing a Pedagogy Course!!!!!

#26135 - 08/27/04 07:10 AM Re: Randall Faber Workshop Notes
Lisa Kalmar Offline
Star Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dolce:
But I'm terrifically flattered that you thought I was causing trouble ;\) \:D

\:D

But really now, Big Happy Baby?!?!?!? \:D

#26136 - 08/27/04 07:23 AM Re: Randall Faber Workshop Notes
Dolce Offline
Mainstay Member

...didn't seem odd to me -- there are 10-year olds that are teaching in my town!! ;\)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Archivist 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics