Topic Options
#25463 - 04/10/02 05:43 PM PA Accelerated
dlinder Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: Ohio
I just started a 12 1/2 yr. old girl in PA accelerated 1 yesterday. I had considered experimenting with MP, but it didn't feel right for this student. This is the first time I've used the Accelerated books, and I really like the first one at least! How do the Fabers keep coming out with such relevant material?? I've always hated teaching this "tween-age" group from the "baby-ish" looking method books, but struggled with using the adult methods because they were too fast-paced. Great job, Fabers!
I also got the corresponding theory book for her, but my music store didn't have the rep. book in accelerated in stock. For those of you who have used it, is it worth getting, or should I just find another collection or single pieces that she would be interested in?
I will definitely be ordering the CD's this week.
Any other advice or tips for using these books?

#25464 - 04/10/02 07:33 PM Re: PA Accelerated
Carole Offline
Star Member

Loc: southern California
dlinder, I have had one student to finish Acc. 1 and currently have 3 students working in it. I use the performance books because they give the additional materials that correspond directly with lesson. We also add other supplementary books about half way. For instance, two of my Acc.1 students, who are 6th gr., are in a 5 finger Disney movie book. I am not wild about the pieces in the perf. book,(they do sound better toward the end) but sometimes it is hard to find other materials that go right along with what you are studying in lesson. I have used the Perf. Acc. 2 and like it much better.

#25465 - 04/10/02 07:35 PM Re: PA Accelerated
OKMusician Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: Oklahoma
Yes, Deedra, it's definitely worthin getting. I have 6 students in Accelerated right now and I use all the "parts" that are available. I am waiting (not always so patiently) for the missing pieces. I'll be so happy when they have technique and book 2 theory done. Good luck using it for your first time. I think you'll enjoy it.

#25466 - 04/10/02 07:36 PM Re: PA Accelerated
Jalapeņo Offline
Star Member

I can take or leave the perf. bks. I leave it up to the student to decide whether to use it or another supp. bk. with the same level rep. in it. I don't do without the lesson & theory bks., though; & I wish they'd hurry up & release some accel. T&A bks.

I don't know what advice to give you. For older beginners, I go in different directions depending on what I feel each student needs & would like. PA's much more flexible in that regard than some other methods.

I do, however, try to get accel. PA students to learn all the pentascales before starting accel. bk. 2. I like using the Let's Get Ready for Pentascale Duets bk.

#25467 - 05/07/02 07:08 PM Re: PA Accelerated
dlinder Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: Ohio
Today, my student in Accel.1 was having a little trouble playing notes that I know she knew. Finally about halfway into the lesson, she said "I keep getting thrown off. The first few songs had me using finger 1 for G now they want me to use a different finger and I've learned that finger 1 is G." I laughed and told her that was precisely the reason they had written the books that way and the reason I teach from them.
I just thought it was amusing that an unsuspecting student used the exact description that many of us Faber fans have been using among ourselves. And I'm really glad we don't have to continue on for many more months before having to deal with this problem of finger/note association!

#25468 - 05/07/02 07:30 PM Re: PA Accelerated
Jalapeņo Offline
Star Member

You're lucky that your student came right out & told you what she was struggling with, too!

Moderator:  Archivist 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics
62996 Posts