Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#24582 - 07/17/05 12:14 PM Re: royal american conservatory
Lisa Kalmar Offline
Star Member

Loc: KC
Thanx for the info! That's about what I thought the average student would need. Are you starting.converting 'em to level 1 Celebration/Odyssey series or higher?

The US program has two levels of "preparatory" where it says they can play stuff out of the standard method books, and it has a list that includes Bastian, PA, Music Tree, and others. Then the numbered levels start that use the Celebration Series.

I think I need to order the Theory 2002 Syllabus that Syndi mentioned it so I can compare it to the KMTA levels that I use for a syllabus. (These are at www.wendyspianostudio.com )

#24583 - 07/17/05 12:29 PM Re: royal american conservatory
Christina Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Canada
oh that's interesting. we don't have the "preparatory" thingy here. it just starts at introductory (kindergarten for piano). i generally don't place my students in that level, though, and give them the extra time with their respective method. intro is incredibly boring for teacher and students.

#24584 - 07/17/05 12:39 PM Re: royal american conservatory
Lisa Kalmar Offline
Star Member

Loc: KC
And so when you start 'em is it at level 1 Celbration Series?

#24585 - 07/17/05 01:09 PM Re: royal american conservatory
Christina Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Canada
after they go through the methods, yes. the methods they go through don't count for anything, really.

#24586 - 07/17/05 04:49 PM Re: royal american conservatory
PFVTeach Offline
Resident Member

Loc: USA

#24587 - 08/02/05 10:28 PM Re: royal american conservatory
JK Wong Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA, USA
RACE program is indeed very good. Most of my students that have finished PA go to Celebration Series and take the exam when they complete the book. The repertoire is progressive enough that student will progress in reasonable pace (they don't play Fur Elise until level 7 hehe!)

The Prep-A and Prep-B is much different from the Canadian system. The US system awards point to students where the Canadian system has pass/no pass system.

RACE is so extensive that it can be intimidating for some teachers. For instance, some of us are not trained in recognizing intervals and melody playback. The harmony/counterpoint/history tests will require several teachers to network together and to offer these courses for students who are taking the exam. I will be teaching History III in the Fall and another teacher will be teaching Harmony III. I believe this will give students a more complete understanding of music through the study of harmony, history and counterpoint.

RACE has introduce a new teacher certificate that will replace the teacher ARCT (Associate of the Royal Conservatory). I am in the midst of reviewing the syllabus and will update you with more information. I have several students that want to become music teacher so they are doing internship with me, teaching some of my beginning students.

The fee of RACE is comparable with some of the activities that our kids do. The upper levels (such as the diploma program) costs close to $1000 with 3 theory exams, performance and oral jury with the examiner. So it is wise to talk to the parents about the financial commitments before entering kids into these exams.

RACE has an excellent website. All payments are done online so you don't have collect money from parents and write a check to RACE. Parents can go to the RACE website to register their child and pay for the exam using their own credit card. They can selected desired test center and find examination time that is convenient for them. Two to four weeks after the exam, they can check result, print out critique sheet on PDF form. Teacher can manage students that are taking the exam online - from finding who has registered, retriving results to print out critique sheets etc. Teachers need to register a teacher number in order to access all this.

Hope this help. Let me know if there is anything that I can help answer.

#24588 - 08/03/05 03:38 AM Re: royal american conservatory
Susan Offline
Star Member

Loc: Texas
 Quote:
Originally posted by JK Wong:

RACE is so extensive that it can be intimidating for some teachers. For instance, some of us are not trained in recognizing intervals and melody playback. The harmony/counterpoint/history tests will require several teachers to network together and to offer these courses for students who are taking the exam. I will be teaching History III in the Fall and another teacher will be teaching Harmony III. I believe this will give students a more complete understanding of music through the study of harmony, history and counterpoint.
Thank you so much for all your info. I have been to a workshop about RACE, but it's great to hear from a teacher who actually is doing it.
If a teacher can't recogonize intervals or melody play back, then h/she should not be teaching piano in the first place, IMO. If RACE improves the quality of piano teachers, it is a very good thing.

#24589 - 08/03/05 03:55 AM Re: royal american conservatory
ChristyA Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Midwest
My local MTNA chapter is going to start talking about the RACE exams, I am really looking forward to it. Apparently the nearby Cincinnati chapter has already started using them.

#24590 - 08/05/05 01:09 AM Re: royal american conservatory
lsalthouse Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Michigan
If I'm not mistaken, Ohio has adopted the RACE exams as their state testing program. At least that is what I have heard. Scott McBride Smith is coming to talk to our local group in September and there is a fair amount of interest here. We just established a testing site locally last spring. I have the syllabus and am considering asking a few students to give it a try this year.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Archivist 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics