Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#24272 - 05/18/04 11:30 PM Re: how is this possible?
Vivace' Offline
Star Member

Loc: USA
 Quote:
Originally posted by NancyK:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jason:
[B]There's really nothing wrong with eighth notes in primer for most kids."

I agree with that Jason. I think the students are quite capable of this. I sometimes find that my teaching and my students get ahead of the books. Many students can absorb much more faster than the books "allow" it.

That's why, all together now, " The Teacher is the Method".

\:\)

#24273 - 05/19/04 07:39 AM Re: how is this possible?
DaisyZ Offline

Quote:

Some students are capable of figuring a lot out on their own, and when we try to teach them something they've already figured out, all we do is annoy them.
" I sometimes find that my teaching and my students get ahead of the books. Many students can absorb much more faster than the books "allow" it."

Good heavens! This is the opposite problem from the one I face... teaching something over and over many different ways and still the kid doesn't catch on. I wish I had more students that caught on without me teaching them!

#24274 - 05/19/04 11:22 AM Re: how is this possible?
Jalapeņa Offline
Star Member

Loc: New Mexico
 Quote:
Originally posted by Vivace:
That's why, all together now, " The Teacher is the Method". \:\)

So true \:\) ... but I never said that a good teacher has to use certain "method" books ;\) (which, if you recall from some comments I posted a few moons ago, I prefer to call "course" books because the method should be in the teacher, not in the books). The books, along with computer software & other teaching aids, are the course materials. The method is the manner in which the course materials are presented by the teacher.

Be that as it may, a good teacher does not instruct in a helter skelter manner.

I wish to add that my students in Central America were a lot easier to teach, & progressed much faster, than my students in the U.S. A lot of this had to do with the musical environment created for these students at home, at school, at restaurants, etc. They weren't smarter students. They just had a musical culture that most of today's U.S. students lack. Thus the reason many U.S. music teachers attempt to provide this musical environment by teaching early childhood (preschool) music classes.

The Central American students don't need early childhood music classes because their homes are literally saturated with rhythmic, melodic music. Because of this, they all know how to dance, sing, etc. before they start traditional piano lessons. They learn it at home, so we piano teachers can concentrate on teaching piano rather than on teaching general music education. Eighth notes? 3/4 "waltz" tempo? No problem for Central American students. Major problem for many U.S. students.

I'll never forget one of my students in TX who, when told she was going to learn to play a march, asked me if I meant the month of March! Unbelievable, until you consider that the girl had probably never heard of a march. What can you expect out of children who grow up listening to rock, rap, etc.? Mostly loud playing (forget any dynamic level softer than fff) & severe problems with all rhythm patterns except the driving 4/4 "rock" tempo. :rolleyes:

Maybe if we could get some quality music back into the schools & homes, things would change. I don't know. All I know is that you can't expect much out of children who don't grow up (from infancy on) with music in the home. They're disadvantaged from the get-go, & the piano teachers who enroll them have the job of teaching them general music education before starting to teach them to play piano.

BTW, there's nothing wrong with 4/4 "rock" tempo, or with any other rhythm pattern for that matter. It's just that children who don't listen to a variety of musical styles on a regular basis, starting at an early age, are going be more challenging to teach than those that do. The more musical experiences a child has, the better.

Jalapaņa, who really misses the days when she actually taught piano (not general music education)! Those were the days... Sigh...

[ 05-19-2004: Message edited by: Jalapeņa ]

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Archivist 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums