Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#24199 - 11/24/03 07:27 AM Re: Psycho teachers
unreal Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: CA
I never thought of getting my degree as "jumping through hoops". It was exhilarating to study music every day and to be around so many other musicians. And it was crushing at times too, but mostly I loved it. But I was the school-type and for the most part enjoyed school my whole life.

Some music organizations exist to give their members a label of "professional" equal to RN's, school teachers and other professions requiring a degree and state certification. So the organization requires a degree and offers certification. Others exist for camaraderie, support, group learning, and/or to set guidelines for our students. Both groups good, neither bad.

That label of "professional" does say something to some people, and I've been asked quite a few times in phone inquiries whether I have a degree or whether I'm in MTAC. But obviously, having a degree does not by itself make a good teacher, nor does lack of a degree make a bad teacher. Lack of a degree doesn't make one a non-professional either, only unprofessional behavior can do that.

Word gets around town who the good teachers are, degree or not, and the good ones are always full with a waiting list. I would say that 80% of the time people call me because of word of mouth, and 20% because they got my name out of the MTAC directory. Either way, they either stay with me because they liked my first impression or don't stay because they didn't like my first impression.

I've been reading this thread alternately laughing out loud and gaping in horror. I guess I've heard some of these MTAC snooty stories too. Well, some people thrive on competition, but I'd rather be around people who help and support each other.

#24200 - 11/24/03 01:07 PM Re: Psycho teachers
Jalapeņa Offline
Star Member

Loc: New Mexico
I got my musical education in a round about, non-university way. I'm not saying it's the ideal way to get a quality musical education, but I got it nonetheless. I wish people would concede that it's possible to be qualified to teach without possessing a piece of paper from a college or university. I'm middle aged & have no intention of going to college now. I have no intention of going through the certification process, either. Why should I? I'm not sure I want to continue teaching piano; & even if I do open up another studio, I doubt anyone would care whether I'm an NCTM or not. Besides, it's not like teaching piano is such a lucrative profession that getting a college degree or becoming certified is going to bring in the big bucks. :rolleyes:

If the day ever comes that all piano teachers become certified, then what will the NCTMs do? They'll come up with some other hoop for everyone to jump through, because they'll have to come up with a way to distinguish themselves from everyone else.

Excuse me while I go barf. This subject is nauseating me.

[ 11-24-2003: Message edited by: Jalapeņa ]

#24201 - 11/24/03 01:56 PM Re: Psycho teachers
Vivace' Offline
Star Member

Loc: USA
No one is forced to join a teaching association, so why the fuss about the ones of us who enjoy belonging?
If someone "barfs" at the discussion of a particular organization, why join? No one asked anyone to join or to "jump through hoops".
Anyone who wants to teach piano, flute, surf-boarding, etc. can teach away! When they begin to complain of not being treated as professionals - then becomes the need to ascertain credibility.

You can join MTNA and have no obligation to join a local chapter. The following states have special membership requirements:
Connecticut, District of Columbia, Florida, Maryland, Ohio, Oregon, Utah, and Washington.
To join all other state chapters, you simply enclose the state dues with your MTNA dues.
No one is required to join a local chapter and you include dues only if applicable.

Also,certification is open and available for anyone who wishes to take advantage of its benefits, but not required. I can't speak for the above listed states, but you may find out by calling (888) 512-5278.

Aren't we lucky to live in a country where we're free to make these decisions? \:\)

#24202 - 11/24/03 02:00 PM Re: Psycho teachers
Vivace' Offline
Star Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jalapeņa:
MTNA membership should be open to all music teachers, regardless of qualifications. Encouraging people to get college degrees or pursue certification is one thing. Demanding it is another...

Jala,
I know many MTNA members who do not have college degrees or certification. You may contact MTNA, but there is nothing on the application requiring either.

#24203 - 11/24/03 04:42 PM Re: Psycho teachers
Lisa Kalmar Offline
Star Member

Loc: KC
VIvace,

What she is referring to, though, are the many local organizations who flagrantly violate MTNA's open membership policy all while benefitting from being under the MTNA umbrella.

I had talked with one of the national officers about this several years ago when PMI of Omaha was violating it, very nastily I might add. She was appalled and they talked to the state president, who deferred from doing anything about it because they were afraid of losing the members over it. The Lubbock chapter is just another example, and there are many, many more all over the country.

I really don't give a rip what non-MTNA groups do to make themselves feel special or more professional. But I DO feel that an organization that benefits from being affiliated with MTNA and all it's greatness should abide by the national open membership policy. (Of course, if that's changed then I stand corrected!)

THank you, I feel much better now, hehe.

#24204 - 11/25/03 06:40 AM Re: Psycho teachers
Dolce Offline
Mainstay Member

Do you have to be a member of MTNA in order to become National Certified by them? I heard that you don't.

#24205 - 11/25/03 07:11 AM Re: Psycho teachers
Jalapeņa Offline
Star Member

The city I now live in doesn't have a local association. Maybe that's for the best, though. It sure beats belonging to a local association like LMTA that doesn't abide by MTNA guidelines & whose members apparently think they can make up their own rules.

Let me state that not all LMTA members are bad. Jason & a few others were always kind to me, & I hold them in high regard. \:\) Maybe these fine folks can do something about changing the LMTA guidelines so that they conform with MTNA guidelines.

The issue for me, however, is not so much about the rules as it is about feeling welcome when trying to join the association. The LMTA members didn't make me feel welcome. They treated me unkindly... until they reviewed my application for membership & saw my resume & letters of recommendation... then changed their tune & started treating me very nicely. I think they should have treated me very nicely from the beginning. Know what I mean? It's all about how we (I'm including myself in this, because I am now an MTNA member) make newcomers feel. Do we make them feel welcome, or do we turn up our noses & treat them like outsiders who don't fit in?

It amazes me that some of the very same people who say they appreciate my advice & agree with my teaching ideas tell me I need a college degree or national certification in order to be qualified to teach piano & belong to their organization. Quite frankly, if these people think I'm not qualified, they shouldn't solicit or accept my help.

[ 11-25-2003: Message edited by: Jalapeņa ]

#24206 - 11/25/03 10:10 AM Re: Psycho teachers
Vivace' Offline
Star Member

I had no knowledge of local associations excluding national and state members, or changing the membership guidelines.

I can't do anything about it but voice my opinion, but I will be happy to do that during the MTNA 2004 Conference next spring.

Jala, I value your knowledge and hold you in high regard as a colleague. I hope none of us here think we know everything and end our educational pursuit......I learn everyday.

Vivace

#24207 - 11/25/03 12:06 PM Re: Psycho teachers
Jalapeņa Offline
Star Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Vivace:
I had no knowledge of local associations excluding national and state members, or changing the membership guidelines.

I can't do anything about it but voice my opinion, but I will be happy to do that during the MTNA 2004 Conference next spring.

Jala, I value your knowledge and hold you in high regard as a colleague. I hope none of us here think we know everything and end our educational pursuit......I learn everyday.

Vivace

I wasn't a national or state member when I decided to join the LMTA, but I had to be a member of the LMTA in order to obtain state & national membership.

I hope that none of us think we know everything, either, because there is always something new to learn. We as teachers should strive for excellence by continuing our education. The point I make is that one does not have to continue ones education by attending college or becoming certified. Also, due to family responsibilities, some of us are unable to go to college & by necessity must find other ways to learn.

#24208 - 11/25/03 02:44 PM Re: Psycho teachers
arsnova02 Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: St. Louis, MO
I just joined MTNA a couple of weeks ago, (well, OK -- MTNA, MMTA, KMTA, and KCMTA. :rolleyes: ) and went to my first meeting shortly thereafter (more for the purpose of meet n' greet -- i.e. referrals -- than anything else.) It did seem a tad bit "chilly", but I just assumed it was because I'm not exactly "warm" by nature.... Maybe not....

Anyway, it doesn't matter, cuz I can't make it to the meetings anyway. Interesting observations, though....

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Archivist 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics