Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#22623 - 11/15/04 12:48 PM speaking of humour...
Christina Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Canada
x-stitches post about humour at lessons reminded me of a little story I'd like to share, and seeing as how we're just over a month away from Christmas, now seems like the perfect time...

When I was around 18 or 19, I was still living at home with my parents, and I had an absolute sweetheart of a student who was around 8 years old. She was definitely my favourite and always made me laugh. It was a couple of weeks before Christmas and so I asked her if Santa was coming to her house. She kind of looked at me sideways, and asked me if I still believed in Santa. Well, not quite knowing if she was at "the age" or not, or was just testing to see what I'd say, I replied "of course I still believe in Santa." She didn't say anything for a few moments, and then she burst out laughing and said "I think you'd better have a talk with your parents!"

It's very hard to keep a straight face sometimes!!!

any other words of wisdom from students? they teach us a lot as well, don't they???

#22624 - 11/16/04 05:33 AM Re: speaking of humour...
miss beth Offline
Resident Member

Loc: North Carolina
Me: "Do you know what a tie is?"
da da dum . . .
Student: "The thing men wear." \:\)

#22625 - 11/16/04 05:39 AM Re: speaking of humour...
miss beth Offline
Resident Member

An adult student was working on a piece hands separately. As she finished playing the right hand, I asked "What about the left?"
She said: "What about it?!"
That still makes me laugh. \:\)

#22626 - 11/16/04 06:47 AM Re: speaking of humour...
Susan Offline
Star Member

Loc: Texas
On student asked me how to start. I said put your thumb on C. So he took his thumb and carefully placed it over the C printed in the music.

#22627 - 11/16/04 06:54 AM Re: speaking of humour...
Susan Offline
Star Member

Loc: Texas
A brand new student looked at me and asked how long is piano season. I was confused and asked him what he meant. He said soccer season was in the spring, football was in the fall, and he wanted to know how many months he would have to do this before piano season was over.
I thought that was funny enough, but when I told him there was no piano season, he blurted out in a very painful voice, "well, how do you quit, then?"
I very kindly told him that his mother would talk to me about it.
Then he looked at me with pity in his eyes and said, "that sounds kind of rude."

#22628 - 11/16/04 07:38 AM Re: speaking of humour...
pianoannie Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: midwest USA
I was discussing the function and action of the 3 pedals on my piano to an 8 y.o. boy who had been my student for a year or so. I was explaining how the left and middle pedals on my piano work different than his at home since mine is a grand piano. He became absolutely awestruck as he said (very dramatically) "You mean THIS....is a...GRAND.... PIANO?!?!?"
To which I replied "Why yes it is."
The boy was near shock as he said, "You mean I'VE been playing on a GRAND piano here all this time?!?! Why didn't you ever tell me?!?"

#22629 - 11/16/04 05:32 PM Re: speaking of humour...
miss beth Offline
Resident Member

Thanks for the chuckles everyone. Here is mine from today:
Me: "Play this song in your lesson book."
Student, disgruntledly: "OK. Here I go. Playing the TORTURE SONG!"

#22630 - 11/16/04 06:24 PM Re: speaking of humour...
Carole Offline
Star Member

Loc: southern California
You know, I had never thought of this when I start young beginners, but some evidently do not see the name of each PA book up in the corner (lesson, theory, etc). When I write the assignments in their notebooks, they are unsure when I say "lesson" or any other. I had never thought of that before. One parent wrote in big red letters the name of each book. Good idea (but not exactly funny \:\) ).

#22631 - 11/17/04 06:20 AM Re: speaking of humour...
miss beth Offline
Resident Member

Carole -- I had never thought of that either. Maybe it would be a good idea to mark each book with a large symbol or if each book were a different color . . . .

#22632 - 11/17/04 07:20 AM Re: speaking of humour...
shannonspiano Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: WI
I had a student a few years ago who told me she couldn't practice that week because she had lost her piano. She was just starting and working on a cheap keyboard. She did find it the next week under her bed.
Or another family who just couldn't practice because their piano wasn't plugged in. a better quality digital. And i'm thinking.... you're in 1st grade I'm sure you can plug it in. Later I learned it was nowhere near the outlet as they were in the process of remodeling, and it actually needed an extension cord.
Or another digital excuse for not practicing all summer.. the keys wouldn't work. I can play them but no sound comes out. It took mom 2 months to call and get that fixed. Just imagine how long they wouldn't have practiced if I didn't require a few lessons during the summer.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Archivist 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics