Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#22589 - 01/19/03 09:32 PM Re: Amusing Comments, etc. from Piano Students
Janice Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: Newalla, Oklahoma, USA
Recital before last went well and at the end in my parting remarks I said "that was wonderful - does anyone want to do it again?" (of course, I was just teasing because I thought they would be as happy to have it over as I was.) People started laughing and I looked around and there were about eight kids lined up behind me ready to go again. \:o I had to explain I was teasing. You really have to watch what you say! \:D

#22590 - 03/02/03 12:39 PM Re: Amusing Comments, etc. from Piano Students
MadisonR Offline
Contributing Member

Loc: South Carolina
I had a little one come in one week who told me that he couldn't practice because his refrigerator was broken. I think the reward system at home was through food!

#22591 - 03/02/03 01:36 PM Re: Amusing Comments, etc. from Piano Students
Musica Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Montreal, Qc, Canada
Practice excuse are the best. Let's see what I've had:

- Couldn't practice because I went to Blockbuster with my mother. (I guess she was there all week)
- Couldn't practice spent the weekend at my dad's (I guess weekend has 7 days)
- I practice alot this week because I had nothing better to do since I'm grounded. (Gee I'm glad they think playing the piano is nothing better)
- Couldn't practice my grandparents were babysitting us (parents were away for the week) and they don't like noise (didn't think music was noise)
- I can't practice, my cat won't let me, it always jumps on the piano when I begin practicing.

Boy do we hear a lot imaginative lines from students. I get a real kick out these.

#22592 - 03/02/03 02:11 PM Re: Amusing Comments, etc. from Piano Students
Jalapeņa Offline
Star Member

Loc: New Mexico
A few weeks ago, a piano teacher friend of mine told me that one of her students said she couldn't practice because her father couldn't locate Middle C on the keyboard. :rolleyes:

#22593 - 03/04/03 01:50 AM Re: Amusing Comments, etc. from Piano Students
Bontempo Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Belgium/Portugal
A little girl once told me "Teacher, I really would like to practice at home, but then I forget it!".
Another said he really liked to practice but that since he had gotten his new Playstation and G.I.Joes there was no time left...

#22594 - 03/04/03 10:12 AM Re: Amusing Comments, etc. from Piano Students
Eric Offline
Star Member

Loc: New York, NY
A new student wanted to show me that she had picked out a tune by ear on the piano. She proceeded to play "Do-Re-Mi" from The Sound of Music beginning on F, using all white keys. So the first phrase was just fine, but the "drop of golden sun" sounded a bit, well, odd. She proceeded to play the entire tune note-perfect in the Lydian mode. I then suggested using "C" as the starting note.

She tried it. But before I had a chance to show her the necessary black keys, around "a needle pulling thread" she stopped and said, "I think it sounds better starting the song on F."

\:D

I suspect this student might be one of the few who will adore Bartok!

[ 03-04-2003: Message edited by: Eric ]

#22595 - 04/05/03 09:39 AM Re: Amusing Comments, etc. from Piano Students
alidoremi Offline
Star Member

Loc: California
Our local MTAC branch just finished Certificate of Merit last week. After grading all of the theory tests, here are some interesting answers students came up with:

Classical composer - "Garlatti"
Parts of a sonatina - "Exposition, Development, Recupileation and Recapiculation"
Octave interval identified - "7th, etc..."
Toccata - "light, and machine-like"
Diminuendo - "disappear slowly"
con brio - "with beat"
tranquillo - "tranquilized"
3 sections of a sonata - "theme, chorus, refrain"
The Bach Family - "S. Bach, M. Bach, and G Bach"

#22596 - 04/05/03 01:54 PM Re: Amusing Comments, etc. from Piano Students
Jalapeņa Offline
Star Member

Loc: New Mexico
CD Kid (my daughter): You're lucky, Mom.

Me: Why?

CD Kid: ...because when you were a child, Elvis was still alive.

\:D

#22597 - 04/05/03 07:13 PM Re: Amusing Comments, etc. from Piano Students
Arlene Steffen Offline
Star Member

Loc: Fresno, CA USA
Yeah, I know how that feels!

I had a college student in the van with me last semester when I put in a Chicago CD. I asked her if she had ever listened to Chicago and she said, "Oh, are they an oldies group?" :rolleyes: \:\(

You know you're pushing 40 when . . .

#22598 - 06/01/03 09:02 AM Re: Amusing Comments, etc. from Piano Students
Marcia Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Maple Grove, MN
This wasn't something a student said, but what was said to her at her Guild audition. She is a fantastic kid, staright A student, competetive figure skater, great musician, a polite and courteous 14-yr. old (How many of these do you encounter in a lifetime?!) Evidently our Guild judge this year was impressed, too, because she asked me "Who *is* that girl? I want to take her home to South Carolina with me to marry my 15-yr old son!" [Maybe in a couple of years??] Maybe it was a *you had to be there* situation, but it sure gave us a laugh.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Archivist 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics