Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#22579 - 01/09/03 03:28 PM Amusing Comments, etc. from Piano Students
Jalapeņo Offline
Star Member

When she came for her lesson this week, my student (an 8-year-old girl) said, "One of the most important things to remember when playing the piano is to sit on a cushion." Since I've been reminding her to do this every week since she started lessons with me 2 years ago, I had a tough time retaining my composure when she said this, LOL. \:D

Little Pepper's revised lyrics for "The Twelve Days of Christmas" ... On the first day of Christmas, my turtle said to me ... \:D

#22580 - 01/09/03 05:40 PM Re: Amusing Comments, etc. from Piano Students
CR Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Idaho
When my 11 y.o. student misplayed the wrong key/s one lesson, she said, "whoops, pressed the wrong button."

#22581 - 01/09/03 06:07 PM Re: Amusing Comments, etc. from Piano Students
Josh G Offline

Loc: Dallas, Tx.
I had a girl,whos 9 yrs. old tell me today, in a rather stern tone of voice, after she got done reading through a new piece from the PA Accel. book 1, "Now, I want you to tell me when I need to practice something more, I want to know when I need to work on it, so tell me when I need to practice on it more."

#22582 - 01/09/03 07:24 PM Re: Amusing Comments, etc. from Piano Students
Martin Offline
Resident Member

Loc: SOUTH CAROLINA
I have a litle 5 yr. old student that mentioned to me one day she couldn't practice on her piano because she was "allergic" to it! After questioning further, I realized the piano was badly in need of tuning and she simply didn't want to practice on it and preferred mine instead. She asked her mom if she could come practice at my house everyday! (he)he

#22583 - 01/10/03 06:32 AM Re: Amusing Comments, etc. from Piano Students
Jalapeņo Offline
Star Member

I once had a 7-year-old student who never practiced & tried to excuse herself by telling me that she was too tired; she said that her mother was getting her up at 5 AM every day & kept her busy 'til bedtime [which, of course, was very late, :rolleyes: ;)] with schoolwork, so no time for practice.

#22584 - 01/10/03 07:24 AM Re: Amusing Comments, etc. from Piano Students
Arlene Steffen Offline
Star Member

Loc: Fresno, CA USA
Once I had a student that was preparing for a recital by practicing her bow at the end of her practice. It became apparent at the recital that her piano at home was positioned with the treble end against a wall. When she stood up to bow at the recital, she exited the bench at the bass end and bowed with her bum to the audience! \:D

[ 01-10-2003: Message edited by: Arlene Steffen ]

#22585 - 01/10/03 08:05 AM Re: Amusing Comments, etc. from Piano Students
Jalapeņo Offline
Star Member

Several weeks ago, my students gave a formal Christmas recital. Each student performed 3 songs, & I performed one "encore" song to end the program. I didn't put Little Pepper on the program because she's in pre-primer & because I wasn't sure how she'd handle performing in public. Well, to my surprise, when our program ended she got up out of her seat & announced that she was going to perform 3 songs. She went to the piano studio, got out her lesson book, hopped up on the piano bench & played 3 pieces. When she made a tiny mistake on one piece, she just said, "Oops! I screwed that up!" & kept playing. She wasn't the least bit nervous, & everybody got a kick out of it. \:D Of course, now I'm going to have to work with her regarding recital etiquette, etc. because she obviously wants to perform. I wonder where she got the "performance bug" from? ;\) \:D

[ 01-10-2003: Message edited by: Jalapeņo ]

#22586 - 01/18/03 06:35 PM Re: Amusing Comments, etc. from Piano Students
Randall Faber Global Moderator Offline
Resident Member

These are great! Thanks for posting them.

Please keep the funny stories coming in. We can publish some in issues of the upcoming Piano Adventures newsletter, called The Piano Adventures Teacher. The column is titled "Smiles from the Studio."

Happy New Year and best wishes!
Randy

#22587 - 01/19/03 08:25 AM Re: Amusing Comments, etc. from Piano Students
Bontempo Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Belgium/Portugal
In my very first student-recital as a piano teacher (a looooooong time ago... \:D ), a young 5-year old was to start the programme. As he hopped on the piano stool, some parents on the front row were still whispering and getting their eyes the printed programmes. All of the sudden, the boy looks at the audience and shoots: "Who is making noise? I want to play!". Nobody could control the laughter... and at the end, after all our practice with bowing, the little fellow jumped off the stool and kept bowing, and bowing, and bowing, and bowing... until I had to drag him out the stage!!

#22588 - 01/19/03 07:01 PM Re: Amusing Comments, etc. from Piano Students
pianoannie Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: midwest USA
A long time ago I learned that a teacher must try to be crystal clear in giving instructions! I had been explaining to a young boy about playing with arm weight, and had jotted a note about such in his assignment book. The next week, the boy's mother came in, and said that her son was having a hard time playing with bags of rice draped over his wrist, and wanted to know if there was something else I suggested that he use for "arm weights." Oh my goodness! I didn't want to burst out laughing in front of this well-intentioned mother, but the mental picture of him playing that way still cracks me up!! \:D

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Archivist 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics