Topic Options
#22463 - 07/17/01 07:30 PM Those Embarrassing Moments.....
Carole Offline
Star Member

Loc: southern California
I got a good laugh over Lisa's experiences in church services over in the Metronome topic. Lisa, how did you handle the first episode when everyone was waiting for you to play the sermon hymn? One Sunday morning when I was in college(and single)and playing the organ for early service, I stayed out too late the night before. I woke up at 11 a.m.the next day and had a MAJOR panic attack, since the service began at 8:30. No one said very much, but I did apologize profusely. I also had some "bug" episodes. At church I was playing from the hymnal and a roach crawled out and meandered around the page. I didn't stay too long in that area. On another ocassion, my husband was singing a solo in church and I was accompanying when my then 4 yr. old son got up from the pew and started tugging on me at the piano saying his brother was bothering him. I said "shhh" and he said "But he's bothering me" (whine,whine). Everyone cracked up but we kept going and so did my son-all the way through the song. Now what are YOUR embarrassing moments?

#22464 - 07/18/01 05:26 AM Re: Those Embarrassing Moments.....
kathy Offline
Resident Member

I gave everyone a good laugh at the first wedding I ever played for. Well, actually this was at the wedding rehearsal (thankfully). We were just about to the part where the bride would begin to walk in, so the pastor instructed "At this point I will have everyone stand up." So, there at the piano, I dutifully stood up with everyone else, not thinking that that was my cue to begin playing the bride's piece. After a few moments of silence, the pastor turned and looked at me, and said "Everyone will stand up except the pianist!" I got a bit of ribbing over that.

#22465 - 07/18/01 06:34 AM Re: Those Embarrassing Moments.....
Jalapeņo Offline
Star Member

I've never had any "bug" moments, thank goodness. However, I was singing a solo for church one evening (accompanying myself on the piano) when the mic stand (which was loosey goosey) moved & dumped the mic in my lap! All I could do was pick it up, put it back & keep going. It was so hard to keep calm, cool & collected.

#22466 - 07/18/01 07:42 AM Re: Those Embarrassing Moments.....
Lisa Kalmar Offline
Star Member

Loc: KC
hehehehehe...Someone should write a book someday about wedding disasters!

My next tale involves the same Presby church, but, fortunately, nothing I was responsible for. The church was in a town 20 miles away so I never practiced there, just commuted on Sundays. For several weeks I kept about passing out every week from a gamey body odor type smell, the likes of which brings shudders to moiself to this day. It was worst in the little corner considered my kingdom there, so I started to imagine that I was developing some sort of extremely serious body odor problem, the kind that I used to read about in Teen Magazine, the horror, that even endocrinologists can't fix, and I thought maybe nerves from playing anxiety or something created it, even though I didn't feel anxious about anything but the disgusting worse-than-the-worst BO smell. Imagine me, in full view of at least one side of the congregation not to mention the choir giving myself "furtive" sniffs during various parts of the service trying to figure out what the h-e-doubletoothpicks was going on. Whenever people came over to talk to me I would nervously try to get rid of them, just imagining what they were thinking. Finally, in a fit of desperation, I blurted out to the choir director, "That smell! It just CAN'T BE ME!!!" Imagine my shock when she replied, "You! I thought it was Eunice!" (Eunice was a nasty old lady in the choir.)

It ended up that it was a mouse that had died in the pipe organ. Everytime the motor was turned on it would heat things up and the smell - ! The tuner eventually found a nasty little carcass inside the console.

Lisa, who also had a rat die in her Houston attic walls, but let's NOT go there, the horror, the horror

[ July 18, 2001: Message edited by: Lisa Kalmar ]

#22467 - 07/18/01 08:20 AM Re: Those Embarrassing Moments.....
Carole Offline
Star Member

Loc: southern California
Lisa, you have had quite an interesting "church" history \:D I had an organist friend who forgot a wedding one time. I am sure we have all had situations where the bride kept waiting to come down the aisle for some tardy relatives. One time I played for a full 30 min. after the wedding was supposed to begin.I repeated music until we were all sick to death of it and got a "crick" in my neck looking for the bride. Another time someone sang Household of Faith from an arrangement that had tons of 1st and 2nd endings going back several pages plus a book that wouldn't stay open. Someone who knew a little about music (HA) was recruited from the ranks to turn pages and she got all flustered and messed up. This upset the soloist, etc and after that wedding, I almost gave them up. We must have had this topic before because didn't I remember either Eric or Josh mentioning someone fainting on the pulpit?

#22468 - 07/18/01 08:25 AM Re: Those Embarrassing Moments.....
Lilla C Offline
Contributing Member

Loc: Chicago
Gosh, it's hard to top the mouse story, but I have a funny one to tell. At my sister's wedding I was having one heck of a time getting my 2-yr. son to behave. He was cute as a button, round face, long blonde hair, huge grin on his face, but in constant motion. We had a wonderful soloist - kind of a Pavarotti-looking type who told me after the wedding that while singing Ave Maria it took every ounce of his strength and willpower not to burst out laughing. My son who was seated directly in front of him about 3 pews back, stood up on the pew and when the soloist struck the first few syllables put both hands firmly over his ears - elbows sticking straight out. I was mortified until I realized the soloist thought it was the funniest thing he had ever encountered at a wedding. Lilla

#22469 - 07/18/01 09:09 AM Re: Those Embarrassing Moments.....
Jalapeņo Offline
Star Member

Here's a good one for you. I played for my nephew's wedding; my oldest daughter (then 4) was the flower girl. At the rehearsal, we made a big deal about the fact that she needed to walk s-l-o-w-l-y down the aisle. Well, she did--too slow! She took her sweet time, stopping at each pew to roll her eyes & flirt with people. \:o From the piano, I couldn't see what was going on. I just heard the laughter. I kept playing the Bridal Chorus for what seemed like an eternity, until she finally got to the front. When she got up there, she firmly planted her feet on her spot (it was marked on the carpet with masking tape), then proceeded to dump all the remaining flowers from her basket onto the floor. \:o She stole the show! ;\)

I once played for a wedding where the bride arrived an hour late. Talk about a horror story! No one seemed to know where she was; the pastor even asked me if I knew (as if! I didn't even know the bride & groom; they just hired me to play). Anyway, I kept playing the same 30-min. pre-service music over & over until she finally showed up. :rolleyes:

[ July 18, 2001: Message edited by: Jalapeno ]

Moderator:  Archivist 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics