Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#22343 - 08/20/04 07:58 AM Re: HOLIDAY & CHRISTMAS MUSIC
Jalapeņa Offline
Star Member

Loc: New Mexico
I've received excellent service from virtually every music supplier I've ordered from. FJH, Patti and Burt & Co. (especially Burt's bargain bin) are my favorites. Alfred and Piano Lane are also good.

#22344 - 08/20/04 09:20 AM Re: HOLIDAY & CHRISTMAS MUSIC
alidoremi Offline
Star Member

Loc: California
One idea for Christmas gifts I got from this site a couple years back: cookie cutters in the shape of a musical note or grand piano. I filled them with red and green M&M's and wrapped each one in red cellophane. Cost for the cookie cutter was under a dollar a piece. Here is the site:

"www.foosecookiecutters.com"

#22345 - 08/20/04 10:02 AM Re: HOLIDAY & CHRISTMAS MUSIC
Emilymae Offline
Resident Member

I'm going to do the cookie cutters this year! What do you mean you fill them with m'm's? How do they stay in the shape?
I spend more on adult gifts because I usually only have 2-3 of them. I buy something like the Alfred small music dictionary. I would add the little treat gift along with it.

#22346 - 08/20/04 11:16 AM Re: HOLIDAY & CHRISTMAS MUSIC
Carole Offline
Star Member

Loc: southern California
I did cookie cutters too, Ali, last year but just tied them on a small bag of candy. I didn't get much feedback, but I thought it was a fun gift. BTW, Foose also has Mennorah shapes for Jewish students.

#22347 - 08/20/04 11:16 AM Re: HOLIDAY & CHRISTMAS MUSIC
playsteinway Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Mason, Michigan
I love the cookie cutter idea. I never would have thought to use a cookie cutter that way! What do you wrap in? Im guessing colored cellophane or something that will stay snug.
Hmmm..... bookmarks and cookie cutters for the kids yeah, those could work. It would be cute on the card to print a cookie cut out recipe to attach as well so they have something to do with the cutter OR tin punch a hole in the cookie cutter and string it to do an ornament even before filling. It would be easy to tie on the bookmarks/pencil to each one also for giving.

I also like the idea of the dictionary for music for adults. Good idea- and useful.
Something I have done for students who move away in the past has been to give them the next level of lesson book or some supplement book so they have something to keep working for and learning.

#22348 - 08/20/04 12:57 PM Re: HOLIDAY & CHRISTMAS MUSIC
alidoremi Offline
Star Member

Thanks playsteinway for the PM. I cut out a square piece of red, green, or gold cellophane, set the cookie cutter in the middle of it, fill the cookie cutter with M&M's (you have to work on a flat surface), gather up the cellophane and tie it with curling ribbon. It's super easy. I think the younger kids (age 4-9) would like this more than the older ones (you know, baking Christmas cookies w/Mom), but I got lots of positive comments from parents.

I like the music dictionary idea, but those are always out of my budget for a Christmas or end of the year gift. This year I've included a music dictionary as part of the materials that my older students will get. EVERYONE should have one. Alfred has a smaller version that was $5 or so (and because I purchased them at Convention, they ended up being even cheaper).

#22349 - 08/21/04 07:53 AM Re: HOLIDAY & CHRISTMAS MUSIC
Marcia Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Maple Grove, MN
I think I got this idea for gifts from someone in the PIANO CLUB. Last Christmas I gave Symphony Hershey bars. I printed out each student's name on glossy paper in colors to match the wrapper and pasted it over the word "Hershey's." They were a big hit, even with my teacher, who has her DMA! (And they are bigger than 3 bites.) I look for them on sale at CUB, Target, or Walmart. When they are $1 each, I buy about 50 of them.

[ 08-21-2004: Message edited by: Marcia ]

[ 08-21-2004: Message edited by: Marcia ]

#22350 - 08/21/04 10:02 AM Re: HOLIDAY & CHRISTMAS MUSIC
Emilymae Offline
Resident Member

Aldoremi, so is the cellophane wrapped so tight that the M&Ms stay in the cooie cutter or do you end up with M&m's everywhere? I'm sorry I'm being so dense, This is such a cute idea!

#22351 - 08/21/04 12:52 PM Re: HOLIDAY & CHRISTMAS MUSIC
alidoremi Offline
Star Member

Yes, the M&M's stay put. I made about 60 of these last year and had no problem.

#22352 - 08/22/04 05:44 AM Re: HOLIDAY & CHRISTMAS MUSIC
Vivace' Offline
Star Member

Loc: USA
Since the thread is Holiday & Christmas Music and we're discussing gifts, I will give another plug for Patti Music.
I've never had a problem and neither has anyone else I know.

Christmas Music I've used would include
Catherine Rollin Christmas Impressions
all levels, and most of Faber's Christmas books. I also use several Dennis Alexander and Melody Bober books, but I don't have them here for reference.

I never use jazz arrangements of Christmas carols.....just me, I can't stand it. My students also perform for nursing home residents, and we keep the melody recognizable without excessive embellishment.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Archivist 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics