Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#22323 - 08/18/04 10:45 AM HOLIDAY & CHRISTMAS MUSIC
playsteinway Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Mason, Michigan
This is usually the time of year I start ordering my holiday music for students so that they get the best selections and choices without being shut out due to supply and demand by many teachers.
Besides the Faber Christmas books that are out there (and other method books with holiday titles) what books have you found that work well with students and what level(s) are they best for?
I am always interested in what other teachers do for holiday music.

One non method type book that my intermediate students really enjoy is called "BACH AROUND THE CHRISTMAS TREE".
It is published by Cherry Lane Music and runs about $8.00. It has the nicest arrangements of traditional music, but they are all in the style or form of a famous composer. My students like it because they are songs they recognize but also a little challenging due to the classical arrangements of them in different styles (not the same old same old). Arrangements vary from Mozart to Joplin in style.

Another one for late elementary level playing is by Schaum. It is called "Popular Christmas Album". It runs about $7.00 and is published by Belwin Mills. It has stuff like Sleigh Ride, Little Drummer Boy, Silver Bells and Let it Snow (to name a few).

Finally, a third book that my students enjoy at holiday time is published by Alfred. It is one of the few Alfred series books that I will use. Titled "Christmas With Style" by Jerry Ray. Runs $7.00 a copy. Nice intermediate book of traditional favorites with a some playing flair.

For my beginners and elementary level students I use Faber supplemental books (both PA Christmas and the Christmas books that are in their supplemental library). They all enjoy these and like the arrangements (fairly easy for them to read).
Usually with holiday music I like to go just a tiny little bit below the level of the student so they can learn it well but have some fun with it also at the holiday season.

Would enjoy hearing other HOLIDAY MUSIC ideas or gifting ideas for students at the holiday....

#22324 - 08/18/04 11:12 AM Re: HOLIDAY & CHRISTMAS MUSIC
Emilymae Offline
Resident Member

I know you asked for non method books, but the favorites my students like are the Faber pretime to bigtime books, Piano adventure Christmas books, Hal leonard Christmas books, Alfred's Top Hits Christmas books. Those make up the staples in my studio. Hal leonard is probably used them most because of the CD accompaniment discs.
Non method books are for my more intermediate students and adults. They like Bober's Christmas arrangements and Kevin Costley's, Nutcracker arrangements from Alfred, Jeanine Yeager has some nice Christmas books and Catherine Rollin. I'd like to try some from Philip Keveren this year.
I also go a little bit below level so they can play several. I start holiday music the Monday after Thanksgiving. I absolutely love teaching Christmas music!

#22325 - 08/18/04 11:55 AM Re: HOLIDAY & CHRISTMAS MUSIC
Dolce Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: USA
Do you all have a favorite place online to purchase music from?

#22326 - 08/18/04 01:14 PM Re: HOLIDAY & CHRISTMAS MUSIC
shannonspiano Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: WI
Philip Keveren's "A classical Christmas," A celtic Christmas," and "Jingle Jazz" are all ones that I really enjoy. Other easier pieces include: "Jesus is Born" published by HL, And the adult fjh christmas books..
"bach around the christmas tree" isn't that published by HL it was written by Carol Klose who is an exclusive HL writer..
I haven't even thought christmas yet.. Just mailed out my policy letter and first bill yesterday.

#22327 - 08/18/04 01:30 PM Re: HOLIDAY & CHRISTMAS MUSIC
Carole Offline
Star Member

Loc: southern California
Me either! I use almost all Faber Christmas PA or Pre-Bigtime. Now and then I will use Alfred's Top Hits Christmas for more secular. Melody Bober's two Christmas Encore (?) books (FJH) for intermediates are very good. For US, you can't go wrong with Mark Hayes or Marilyn Ham.

#22328 - 08/18/04 05:37 PM Re: HOLIDAY & CHRISTMAS MUSIC
playsteinway Offline
Resident Member

I get all my music from Sheetmusicplus.com
No matter what size order you can get $2.99 shipping anywhere in the US.
I used to use Patti Music Co. and will NOT use them anymore and I don't reccomend them anymore to anyone. Here is why:
I ordered music for my students. $160.00 worth to be exact. Well the manager of the store calls me and tells me that they need a second check for the same amount because they did'nt get one. (HA! I sent it certified mail with signature return and had proof!!) So I call my bank and stop payment on the check and send a new one since no actual confirmation in mail came. Three weeks later I get a string of harrassing phone calls saying that "you either pay us NOW or we are going to file a law suit". Well this time I did have proof of the check being delivered though it was'nt cashed. THEY WERE SITTING ON MY CHECK. I even verified it with my bank if it was cashed or not (it was'nt).
I put my mail proof of the check along with a copy of the order AND the xerox copy of the checks I had sent into a piano orders file and stopped doing business with them. These people are JERKS and I would'nt do any business with them if they PAID me to.

I now go to SHEETMUSICPLUS.COM and have been very happy with them. They are great at sending you confirmation when they receive your order, your payment method is confirmed with you AND they did a nice follow up call with me after my first order to be sure I was happy with their service and to give me the date my order would ship from their store.

I have to go through mail order because the music stores up here don't have big selections or will only sell to their teachers/students (which I think is kind of dumb but.....)

#22329 - 08/18/04 06:37 PM Re: HOLIDAY & CHRISTMAS MUSIC
Lisa Kalmar Offline
Star Member

Loc: KC
One of my holiday favorites with students is ChordTime Jewish Favorites (2B) by the Fabers - just fantastic to have all of these in one great collection.

I've fortunately had excellent luck with Patti, both with everyday type service and on special thangs. They actually let me return 8 Alfred Summer Camp books for full credit after I had hung on to them for over a year because I kept procrastinating on finding a box to mail them back in! \:o

#22330 - 08/18/04 08:27 PM Re: HOLIDAY & CHRISTMAS MUSIC
playsteinway Offline
Resident Member

What are some things that you do special for holidays with students?
Mine usually go to an assisted living center or hospital and play for residents there. I let the students sign up if they are coming to participate and they pick their song at that time. I don't let anyone play the same song as someone else in the same performance ever. I want everyone to be unique and have their special highlight for the program. I had a teacher as a student and remember several people with the same song. I hated it because all you do is compare yourself to the other people with your song and it can get discouraging for alot of kids.
I also have the tradition at the christmas program that whoever picks "We Wish You A Merry Christmas" plays LAST. Usually I get the best student of the quarter to play it in addition to their selected piece and it is seen as an honor to play this song at the program. Someone different does it each year- sometimes a primer kid, sometimes intermediate, etc.. so that they all get a special chance to do this honor in the program. We don't do cookies or anything afterwards because we don't know who can eat what with residents. The students all do a group picture after the program and they all get a 5x7 digital copy at their next lesson for their scrapbooks or memory boxes that they keep. We also send a copy of the picture with a thank you letter or card signed by all the students that following week for the home/hospital we play at thanking them for letting us come to play for them and wishing them a happy holiday. This makes for good community relationships as well as future invites back ( or allowing us back) in future play dates.

[ 08-18-2004: Message edited by: playsteinway ]

#22331 - 08/18/04 09:15 PM Re: HOLIDAY & CHRISTMAS MUSIC
Carole Offline
Star Member

Loc: southern California
We do something very similar. Our two performance opportunities for the fall (Oct and Dec) semester are at assisted living or senior places. I also try very hard to have everyone play something different. This is a little hard at Christmas, as everyone wants to play songs like Silent Night, etc. but I try to assign different things. Last year a junior high girl wanted to play "The Twelve Days of Christmas" and I printed up words for the seniors to sing along. We practiced at the lesson, her playing and me singing. When she played at the senior place, she got nervous and FLEW thru the piece in record time and no one could keep up! Everyone laughed (inc. the girl) and we just had a good time in spite of it. The students made greeting cards to pass out afterwards. I like the idea of a picture and a follow up thank you. Our senior centers have had their own refreshments for us to partake. Two of my students are of Jewish faith and they play their Hanukkah pieces. Oh and some of the kids do dress up at the Oct. performance. The seniors love to see them in their costumes.

#22332 - 08/19/04 04:16 PM Re: HOLIDAY & CHRISTMAS MUSIC
Jalapeņa Offline
Star Member

Loc: New Mexico
 Quote:
Originally posted by Lisa Kalmar:
One of my holiday favorites with students is ChordTime Jewish Favorites (2B) by the Fabers - just fantastic to have all of these in one great collection.

I've fortunately had excellent luck with Patti, both with everyday type service and on special thangs. They actually let me return 8 Alfred Summer Camp books for full credit after I had hung on to them for over a year because I kept procrastinating on finding a box to mail them back in! \:o

Lisa, thank you so much for pointing out the fact that there are other religious faiths in addition to Christianity to consider during the holiday season.

And yes, Patti has treated me well over the years. \:\) I've never received unsatisfactory or subpar service from them.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Archivist 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics