Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#22262 - 04/08/03 05:43 PM Chopin Prelude
dlinder Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: Ohio
I have an 11 yr. old boy transfer student in John Thompson 2. He says he wants to change books because he doesn't like the music in this book. After struggling through Chopin's Prelude in A Major today, I said to him, "I really want you to work on this piece this week because I really like it and I think you will too. Here, let me play it for you so you can hear how it is supposed to sound..."
When I finished I asked him if he had ever heard it before. "Yes, on one of my video games."

Well, hallelujah, now he is very motivated to play this piece!!!
Anyone know of any other "video game songs"??

#22263 - 04/09/03 08:29 PM Re: Chopin Prelude
JonathanE Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Pembine, WI, USA
Well, my 9-year-old got one of those CD game collections about a year ago, and I think it was the SimCopter game that was using Beethoven's "Waldstein" sonata in the background! (I heard it from another room, and was rather amused). That's not a piece he's going to be playing anytime soon!

#22264 - 04/10/03 08:26 AM Re: Chopin Prelude
dlinder Offline
Mainstay Member

I learned yesterday from another student (14 yr. old boy) that the Chopin prelude is from one of the levels on Final Fantasy 8. Apparently this one game has 4 CD's of different levels.....amazing.

#22265 - 04/10/03 08:41 AM Re: Chopin Prelude
Jason Offline
Star Member

Loc: Iowa City, IA
Yep. The Final Fantasy series (they're up to FF10 or 11 now I think) isn't just a game - it's a rich world with all the tales and intrigue of a good fantasy novel. There have been books and even a movie based on the series, and it's been a wonderful source of fan fiction and art as well.

FF is cool!
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com

#22266 - 04/10/03 08:59 AM Re: Chopin Prelude
dlinder Offline
Mainstay Member

Jason, I thought of you and had a feeling you were involved in this subculture!! \:\)

#22267 - 04/10/03 10:20 AM Re: Chopin Prelude
Piano lady Offline
Resident Member

Funny you should mention this about music in video games.... I've had a lot of spare time and have written an award winning module series for the PC role playing game Neverwinter Nights. I used selections from Stravinsky, Prokofiev, Hohvaness, Orff, Mozart, Mahler, and Bruckner instead of the canned music that came with the game. You should read the comments: "The music really makes this game come alive." "The music gives this a real epic feel." "The music makes me forget I'm playing a game that came with bad music." "I can't bear to hear that canned game music anymore." "What were the selections? I'm going to Tower later today."

#22268 - 04/11/03 01:13 PM Re: Chopin Prelude
Bontempo Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Belgium/Portugal
 Quote:
Originally posted by Piano lady:
Funny you should mention this about music in video games.... I've had a lot of spare time and have written an award winning module series for the PC role playing game Neverwinter Nights. I used selections from Stravinsky, Prokofiev, Hohvaness, Orff, Mozart, Mahler, and Bruckner instead of the canned music that came with the game. You should read the comments: "The music really makes this game come alive." "The music gives this a real epic feel." "The music makes me forget I'm playing a game that came with bad music." "I can't bear to hear that canned game music anymore." "What were the selections? I'm going to Tower later today."

I'm actually a big fan of Neverwinter Nights. I remember not liking the canned music. But it's true that the previous Baldur's Gate Saga and Icewind Dale had absolutely fabulous music (Icewind Dale also won the Best Soundtrack of the Year award).

Usually, classical comes with either mystic, either strategic games. Europa Universalis 2 evokes epic battles and therefore only has classical. UEFA Manager has also a selection of known themes from Faure, Mozart, and others. I admit that the first time I heard Bach's fabulous Passacaglia in C minor (NOT the veeeery well-known one) was while playing Dark Ages of Camelot. Also, Civilization 2 has small videos with every Wonder of the World you build and some of them (like, obviously, the Wonder called JSBach's Cathedral!) have classical music.

Oh boy, do I miss my computer here in Belgium!... \:\(

#22269 - 04/11/03 08:18 PM Re: Chopin Prelude
Shirley Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Denver, Colorado
Piano Lady ~ I'm impressed!

#22270 - 04/11/03 09:04 PM Re: Chopin Prelude
Amily Offline
Mainstay Member

My students LOVE the Final Fantasy music! (I must confess, I do too). There are going to be three FF VIII pieces being played in my recital this year: Mods de Chocobo, Shuffle or Boogie and The Winner (you know, the song you hear after you beat the bad guy- do do do do dah do dum do dummmm).

I have the books for FF VIII and FF X (and have spent more hours than I will confess to playing the games) and a sheet from FF IX. There is no Chopin in these games (it is all original music from composer Nobuo Uematsu- X has a couple other composers also), but there is a lot of music that resembles classical. These books are very popular with my students, and I've noticed that the kids who are most interested in FF music are also open to classical music. I don't know if there is a connection there or not, but I exploit it for all it's worth.

I get the best results from students who play a little Chopin and a little Chocobo!

#22271 - 04/11/03 09:43 PM Re: Chopin Prelude
Jason Offline
Star Member

Loc: Iowa City, IA
I've played:

Half-Life
Unreal Tournament
Quake III
Various mods of the above
Starcraft (and Broodwar)
Warcraft 2
Dark Age of Camelot (Gawaine Server)

and I'm currently addicted to:

Warcraft 3
Freelancer
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Archivist 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums