#22238 - 10/18/02 05:18 PM Re: Chopin Etudes
MM Offline
Resident Member

[ 01-14-2003: Message edited by: MM ]

#22239 - 10/19/02 12:26 PM Re: Chopin Etudes
Lilla Offline
Star Member

Loc: Chicago
Oh, my. You need a heart-to-heart with your teacher! Performing well should not be met with punishment.

. . .but, if I win and go on to the next level, I'll have to keep the pieces even longer![/B][/QUOTE]

#22240 - 10/19/02 01:24 PM Re: Chopin Etudes
MM Offline
Resident Member

#22241 - 10/19/02 03:59 PM Re: Chopin Etudes
Bontempo Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Belgium/Portugal
 Quote:
Originally posted by Miss Misti:
For right now, I'm doing it on my own. I would like to surprise her right before Christmas break with being able to play all 6 pages. I'm being careful with the rhythm and notes, so hopefully I won't learn too much wrong.

(May I vent a little?)
I've been playing the same pieces for over a year now, because of a competition... I have never been allowed to pick a piece - only choose 'this one or this one' and haven't had anything fun since I started last August. I don't even not want to play classical - I love classical, but would love some fun classical - Gerhswin, Joplin, etc.

This past year has been one competition or another, and I've had to stay focused on only a few pieces. Now I don't want to practice, and the things I do want to practice are some Jazzed Up! pieces, Joplin arrangements, and the etude.

Would you, as teachers, be upset if your student went ahead and tried to work on something, or would you be pleasantly surprised? Am I doing the wrong thing?

MM - who will be glad when this competition is over so I can have time to work on new music - but, if I win and go on to the next level, I'll have to keep the pieces even longer!

Dear MissMisty

I think you should know what your teacher will think of this since you know her much better than us all. So reflect carefully on this, OK?
I, personally (and I have to be honest) would not be happy if a student of mine did something like that without talking with me. I'm not referring to your case, just thinking in abstract and answering your question. I think that when a student wants a change in repertoire, s/he has to talk with the teacher. It's not a question of the student being able or not to play the piece- it's a question of TIMING. And teachers can feel somewhat "betrayed" if the student breaks the linkage without saying a word. I know of extreme cases where this leaded to lesson-termination. You've planned on starting Chopin Etudes with your teacher, so I can see you're a serious advanced student.

Let me tell you my personal experience: I had the same piano teacher in all 8 eight years of preliminary musical education in Portugal. In the last 2 years, I met another student at my level (from a different teacher) who started playing some Etudes at that time. I was playing Moskowsky Etudes at that time (God bless Moskowsky but Chopin's Etudes are one of a kind so you can see my frustration...), and started to feel very eager to play Chopin Etudes. I immediately discussed this with my teacher, who said "While you could play some of the Etudes correctly at this stage, this is not the correct timing in your formation as a pianist, as Moskowsky is still not tackled. I want you to be able to play Chopin's Etudes FLAWLESSLY and you have a lot of time to get there". Guess what? When I and my fellow-student went to college (and had the same Russian teacher there), he went back to Czerny op. 740 and I only played Etudes from Chopin and Rachmaninoff!

So talk this honestly with your teacher and don't forget that the best surprise for any teacher is great improvement and serious work from one week to the other and not necessarily unexpected new material... but I would love to hear from Jalapeņo, Jason or Lisa about this! eheheheheh

#22242 - 11/05/02 03:09 PM Re: Chopin Etudes
MM Offline
Resident Member

#22243 - 11/05/02 03:47 PM Re: Chopin Etudes
Bontempo Offline
Resident Member

Quote:
Okay -

I was showing my teacher the new music I got (with Alfred's buy $25 or more of Masterworks Editions get other Mastwerowkrs Editions of equal or lesser value free, I couldn't turn it down!) today, and included the Etude book in with the pile. We looked through it, and although there were some etudes that were easier than the Op. 10 # 12, she agreed to let me try it, with the understanding that if it was too difficult technically, that she would let me know, and we would put it away for a while. ANYWAY - I'm happy! I get to start working on the etude I wanted, AND she and I might get to do a duet from Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker Suite! (Plus my competition pieces went VERY well today - I can't wait until Saturday is over!)

MM \:D

Hello Miss Misty,

I feel very happy for you indeed! Not only you get the Chopin Etude as you also got the fun-piece you were looking for - and a 4-hand (or is it 2 pianos????) piece is more in the way of ensemble music, which is always very motivating!
Good luck with the Revolutionary and keep us posted on problems you encounter and about the progress you will surely make on the piece, OK?
Ciao!

Bontempo

#22244 - 11/06/02 12:13 PM Re: Chopin Etudes
MM Offline
Resident Member

Bontempo:

It is a one piano 4 hand piece. I can't decide... The Russian Dance, or the March? Hmm....

MM

#22245 - 11/06/02 02:26 PM Re: Chopin Etudes
Bontempo Offline
Resident Member

Quote:
Bontempo:

It is a one piano 4 hand piece. I can't decide... The Russian Dance, or the March? Hmm....

MM

Is this an invitation for me to give my worthless opinion? \:D
For my money, the Russian Dance. It's so charming... Why don't you try both??? (not enough time?)

#22246 - 11/06/02 07:03 PM Re: Chopin Etudes
MM Offline
Resident Member

Yes, you may give your 'worthless opinion.' ;\) I would love to do both, but if time will only allow me to do one I'll probably go with the Russian. She's not doing a Christmas recital, so it would just be something a little fun for us to do together.

MM

#22247 - 12/11/02 12:01 PM Re: Chopin Etudes
RAK Offline

Loc: Iowa
I just completed the Op. 25, No. 7 in C-Sharp Minor. The runs were a bit challenging, but well worth the work. The piece is absolutely lovely.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Archivist 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics