Topic Options
#22168 - 09/08/02 03:29 PM Ferdinand Beyer -- T & A Level 3
miss beth Offline
Resident Member

Loc: North Carolina
Need some info on Ferdinand Beyer. He is the composer of several pieces in PA T & A Level 3A and I am not familiar with him. I did a search online and grew tired of weeding through it all. Would appreciate any factoids about the composer. Thanks much.

#22169 - 09/08/02 03:52 PM Re: Ferdinand Beyer -- T & A Level 3
Danny Offline
Contributing Member

Loc: California
I am out of town and don't have access to my resource books, but Beyer wrote the Elementary Method of Piano Instruction, Op. 101

This "method" is in the Public Domain and is EXTREMELY popular in Mexico and the rest of Latin America, the Phillipines and some Asian countries.

Many publishers (G.Schirmer, Carl Fischer, etc.) have reprints of the entire method available.

Danny

#22170 - 09/23/02 02:21 PM Re: Ferdinand Beyer -- T & A Level 3
Jalapeņo Offline
Star Member

Is it available in Spanish? I'm looking for some Spanish theory books. I never saw it in Costa Rica. All I saw being used in Costa Rica was Michael Aaron, Suzuki, & Yamaha School of Music. Three wonderful choices, eh? :rolleyes: Now you know why my teaching schedule was always full! ;\) \:D

BTW, the Fabers plan to translate PA into Spanish & distribute it in Central America. Way to go, Fabers! \:D

[ 09-23-2002: Message edited by: Jalapeņo ]

#22171 - 09/23/02 05:49 PM Re: Ferdinand Beyer -- T & A Level 3
Danny Offline
Contributing Member

Loc: California
Jala -
Re: Ferdinand Beyer Elementary Instruction Book for the Piano, Op. 101 -

I just double checked at www.pianolane.com and the G.Schirmer Edition (which I am familiar with) is in both English & Spanish. It retails for $7.95.

25 years ago I used to travel to Mexico and sold "tons" of this book down there. However, before you get too excited... here is a description of the method taken from Jane Magrath;s "The Pianists Guide to Standard Teaching & Performance Literature":

"Method book for beginners containing many academic and somewhat boring exercises. Most early activities are on C and G in a method that stresses learning to play the piano through exercises and academic pieces in one style."

The other books that I remember selling in Mexico - all G. Scirmer editions were:

Bona: Rhythmical Articulation (A Complete Method) - actually a vocal book.

Herz: Escales y Ejercicios
and of course, Hanon en Espanol.

There are many additional method & supplemental books translated into Spanish today. Usually, a publisher works with a publisher, distributor or agent in a foreign country to "sub-publish" the materials in the local language.

Danny

#22172 - 09/23/02 06:04 PM Re: Ferdinand Beyer -- T & A Level 3
Jalapeņo Offline
Star Member

Most publishers translate just a few beginner lesson books into Spanish. They don't translate the theory or technique books. For example: Schaum, Aaron, Burnam, et al. I've seen Spanish versions of just the 1st couple of levels of each of these courses, but no theory or technique books. When I taught in Costa Rica, I translated all the theory & technique books into Spanish myself. Lots of work! I told Randy Faber that if he translates PA into Spanish, he needs to do all the books, not just the lesson books. Do you realize what a pain it is to rewrite all the directions to the theory assignments? Not fun! What I'd like to have is the complete PA method in Spanish, &/or a nice big book of music theory in Spanish so I can translate the upper-level books myself. Right now, the only Spanish music books I own are Michael Aaron Grades 1-3 (old course, not the updated one), which are bilingual (English/Spanish). I use the "lingo" in those books to translate the books I prefer to use into Spanish.

Moderator:  Archivist 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics
62996 Posts