Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#20195 - 04/28/05 09:40 AM Re: maternity leave
alidoremi Offline
Star Member

Loc: California
 Quote:
by mirlou:
Two weeks! [Eek!] We always have 16 weeks here! I took only 8 weeks off because after that the summer vacation started!
Europe is very different. My cousin in Germany also had 4 months maternity leave (with pay). I guess that's one of the 'perks' of socialized medicine. But in the US we independent piano teachers don't have state-sponsored maternity leave. If we don't teach we don't get paid. \:\(

#20196 - 04/28/05 11:25 AM Re: maternity leave
Christina Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Canada
hey congratulations, ginger, when are you due? mine's nov.18th (or thereabouts). are you going to take more time off this time? i guess i'm kind of lucky because i can take the time off comfortably thanks to dh. when i had my dd 4 years ago, i got the maternity benefits because i worked at a music store as well. in canada, you get one full year off with 55% income for maternity leave, but only if you pay into ei (employment insurance). unfortunately with private lessons we don't generally do that, so if you rely solely on your lesson income, the time you take off is money lost. but i think it's that way in most places anyway.

i like the ideas about doing composer studies, x-mas music, and new pieces, studied independently. please keep the ideas coming! i've been feeling a little overwhelmed lately with everything to think about. thank you thank you thank you for all your ideas!!!!!!!

#20197 - 04/28/05 10:10 PM Re: maternity leave
Doenny Offline
Resident Member

Something that I did with my students this past Christmas (I had a 3 week break) was what I called "The Candy Cane Challenge"

Each student was given a paper that had a picture of a candy cane on it. I looked at the calendar and figured out how many days there were (not including weekends)that the student would realisticaly be able to practice on. Then I made it so that the candy cane picture had at least that many stripes on it. I think the one I used also had a bow tied around it, so those were extra spaces.

Then I gave them a goal like "every time you practice, perform for someone, play for pleasure, (on different days)then a parent or the teacher etc. could sign one of the squares on the candy.
They were told ahead of time how many squares were required to be filled in order for the challenge to be met.

At the end of the time, all those who met the challenge were given some kind of prize (gum, stickers, pencil, other candy etc. their choice)

It was neat to see the progress that a lot of them made.

Another idea, though you have to have the parent involved for this one! Is a practice candle. Everyone is given a candle that they only have lit while they are practicing. At the end of a couple weeks or longer see how much the candle has melted! I did this with my violin students, they seemed to like it.

#20198 - 04/29/05 04:04 AM Re: maternity leave
shannonspiano Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: WI
Congratulations Christina and Ginger.. Wow two new musical babies.. I've told all of my parents they are to expect a maternity leave in Aug and September. I let my families know with a note on the refrigerator... and watched to see how many people noticed.. Then at 11-12 weeks I let my families know directly. I still wasn't noticable expecting until about 17 weeks.
What I'm doing is making everyone who can continue lessons as consistantly as possible through July, then I've always taken August off to prepare for next year. And have another teacher ready to provide my students' extra lessons if they desire it.. but they have to schedule it with her. She's a good friend and almost retired.
I did have a student start lessons this month and just let them know in advance that I would be taking a maternity leave.. And they didn't feel it would be too much of a bother, and were glad to know up front.
Sorry that got a bit long.. But that's what I'm doing.
Shannon

#20199 - 04/29/05 08:05 AM Re: maternity leave
Ginger Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Indianapolis, Indiana
Well, I'm due November 10th....and I'm a little ticked about it! Just kidding, I'm still trying to get certified, and the people at MTNA schedualed me to take the test on November 9th or 10th, the days of the Indiana State something. I was a little shocked when I contacted them to say that I was ready for the test that they schedualed it sooooo late in the year. I was really hoping for April, May, or March. Out of all the days they could have picked!

Anyway, I don't know what I'll be doing yet. I'm glad that this was brought up, because I just hadn't thought about it yet. I'm not having a recital this year to tell all the big news to. Last time, I sent out monthly statements/newsletters each month and told the news there. But since I've moved, I don't have as many students to have a real newsletter. Maybe I'll tell everyone when it's obvious that I'm not just gaining weight!

#20200 - 04/30/05 04:42 AM Re: maternity leave
shannonspiano Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: WI
Ginger.. It would be awful if you had to take the test that close to your due date... Just going for the 3 hours without food was bad enough for me, and at that point I wasn't pg. Is there anyway you can contact the state certification chair?? Ours was willing to work with my schedule, and let me take the test earlier that day before the other meetings I had. She said that I could take the test at her school sometime if I needed to.. Do contact the state chair, they are a lot more flexible than the national level, people make them out to be.

#20201 - 04/30/05 06:55 AM Re: maternity leave
pianoannie Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: midwest USA
 Quote:
Originally posted by Doenny:

Another idea, though you have to have the parent involved for this one! Is a practice candle. Everyone is given a candle that they only have lit while they are practicing. At the end of a couple weeks or longer see how much the candle has melted! I did this with my violin students, they seemed to like it.
Doenny, I really love this idea! What size/type candle did you use? (the kind in a glass jar or just the stick kind?) I'm thinking that the jar kind is safer, but harder to determine the amount melted. Maybe I could weigh them at the end of the contest.

#20202 - 04/30/05 09:59 AM Re: maternity leave
Doenny Offline
Resident Member

Pianoannie,

I bought the tall tapered type of candle. Being it was Christmas when I did it, I desided to buy the kind that was numbered 1 - 25. (It was kind of pretty with a picture of a tree down the front!)

In the future if I use the tall type, I think I would just use a normal candle as the calendar one took a long time to burn, so some of them only made it half way or so.

I agree that the jar kind of candle would probably be safer.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Archivist 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics