Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#17834 - 08/24/05 02:20 AM Re: "Sight Reading & Rhythm"
ChristyA Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Midwest
I have used the Music be Me books with one of my students, a very shy student who I thought would not like composing. But I thought that it would help with note-reading, which she is struggling with. It turns out she really came up with some good ideas in her compositions, much more creative than I expected. I had almost forgotten about the book until you mentioned it (this student took a break over the summer). I plan on getting more copies for some of my students.

#17835 - 08/24/05 04:29 AM Re: "Sight Reading & Rhythm"
Jennifer Online   content
Star Member

Loc: AZ
I used the Music by Me this summer for a composing workshop that students signed up for. Each student had their own copy. I was very happy with it. I have a copy of the Sightreading and rhythm book and will have to try it out. Glad to hear more about the other levels.

#17836 - 08/24/05 06:12 AM Re: "Sight Reading & Rhythm"
Christine/Pelirroja Offline
Resident Member

Loc: CA, USA
Jennifer and ChristyA, how did you feel the Books were for each students' level. Does a typical 2B student do the Book 2? Did it seem "young" to any of your older students? Were students of different levels able to use the same book since they were composing themselves? How early can one start using Book1? Thanks, Christine

#17837 - 08/24/05 10:13 AM Re: "Sight Reading & Rhythm"
Jennifer Online   content
Star Member

Loc: AZ
In my class I had students ranging in age from 7-14 years. If the student has had no or little composing experience, this book (book 1) was a perfect start. It really had nothing to do with age appropriateness. Then if they wanted to continue with it they go to book 2 and so on. I personally would start with book 1 and then progress to the next book. I think you would be missing some of the steps if you went directly to book 2.

#17838 - 08/25/05 03:10 PM Re: "Sight Reading & Rhythm"
Carole Offline
Star Member

Loc: southern California
Christine, a question about the new Sightreading books. You mentioned SR 1A and 1B roughly correlate to PA 2A. Does that mean those SR books are easier than PA 2A or close to the same level? I have always understood sightreading should be at an easier level than their method.

#17839 - 08/25/05 07:00 PM Re: "Sight Reading & Rhythm"
Resident Member

Carole, The books I looked at were definitely a full level lower. For example 1A in many cases simply uses steps, repeats, and single line melodies and some rhythm only activities. The actual hands together playing doesn't occur until SR level 2B, so that should give you an idea of the delay.

I know that Kevin Olson also has the same philosophy of sightreading at a level below actual level, so I imagine (but am guessing because I only talked to him for 5 minutes) that when he and H.Marlais wrote/write this series and attach them to a level they will have that in mind.

#17840 - 08/26/05 02:23 AM Re: "Sight Reading & Rhythm"
Susan Offline
Star Member

Loc: Texas
Christine, I hope you are feeling better!
I have a question about the sight reading books, which I am using right now. Does he assume you will start the first book with a student in 2A? That who I am using it with, a little boy (I've written about him before) who can't play anything with a steady beat. {this boy is in 5th grade and he still can't clap back a pattern-very uncoordinated.)
Also, he does not like it, and I can't get him to do it at home. So we're doing it at the lesson. It's a great book, but maybe if had more color, or less notes on the page it would work better with this boy. He's rather young for his age. But it is really helping his rhythm.

#17841 - 08/26/05 05:38 AM Re: "Sight Reading & Rhythm"
Resident Member

Thanks Susan, I am feeling a little better! Well, he wasn't exact on the levelling--he leaves a lot to the teacher's discretion. Those numbers were kind of a "guide." (They were actually compared to the In Recital Books Level 2 toward the back of the recent mailing which is supposed to be at "Elementary" level). I think I may be inclined to try the 1A toward the second half of Level 1. Especialy since Book 1A seems to heavily be into establishing a pulse and rhythm in a student and works on the guidepost notes F/G with mostly steps and skips. I know what you mean about the color. It's funny you mention that, because K.Olson said that is why they chose such a bright cover color, to bring any more attention they could to a bright/fun sightreading book. :-) It would be nice to add a little more pizazz to the page. But, I guess that would probably add a little more pinch to the pocketbook. :-)

#17842 - 08/26/05 06:25 AM Re: "Sight Reading & Rhythm"
songbird Offline
Resident Member

Loc: USA
 Quote:
It would be nice to add a little more pizazz to the page. But, I guess that would probably add a little more pinch to the pocketbook. :-)
Nnnnah, they can afford it, and we probably can too!

#17843 - 08/26/05 06:27 AM Re: "Sight Reading & Rhythm"
songbird Offline
Resident Member

Loc: USA
Who has noticed that PA seems to go slower level by level than other popular methods (Bastien, Alfred, etc.)? I have tried to switch some of my 3A students into Alfred and they can BARELY play the Alfred Level 2 books! It's not just with them that I notice it either. The books DO look harder in other methods. Thoughts? Disagree?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Archivist 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics