Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#17824 - 08/17/05 09:04 AM "Sight Reading & Rhythm"
jen7 Offline

Loc: south Texas
I just received the info on the new "Sight Reading & Rhythm Every Day" books.

Just curious as to what others think about them? Does anyone know how long the books are, and, how do they fit in with the PA books? (level-wise)

They sound great to me... the only drawback is that it would be another *extra* book. Maybe it could be done on a biweekly basis.

thanks!
Jennifer

#17825 - 08/17/05 09:12 AM Re: "Sight Reading & Rhythm"
Carole Offline
Star Member

Loc: southern California
I am trying to decide too, Jen7. I may have a "guinea pig" or two to try out these books. They look real good, but I am still totally sold on the Sightplay books. It is my goal though to have each student buy a sight reading book for home use. Haven't quite decided how to do it or what book.

#17826 - 08/17/05 09:34 AM Re: "Sight Reading & Rhythm"
GeeTee Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Midwest
I too like what this series is intending to do and I did order bk 2a for one of my students. I really like the importance it places on reading rhythm both apart from and as a part of music reading.

I ordered it for a girl who is entering 8th grade. She's been studying for 3 yrs., but has absolutely no sense of rhythmic fluency. Her reading of notes is ok, but she can't seem to perceive groupings or patterns and respond accordingly to them when she sightreads. But I mainly want to give her a sightreading "daily vitamin" which these books offer. I have used the 4 star sightreading books from Frederick Harris before which take the same kind of approach. But I LOVE Kevin Olson and thought I'd give this new series a go. I don't have any elementary students right now (just 2 beginners and the rest early interm.-advanced) so I didn't have a place to use the other books. I am very curious to see the remaining books in the series when they come out.

#17827 - 08/17/05 12:10 PM Re: "Sight Reading & Rhythm"
jaydub2 Offline
Resident Member

Loc: WA
What makes my shy away from these books is that the sightreading is only for treble or bass clef. If you follow this series, how long will it take to get to sightreading hands together?

what's your opinions?

#17828 - 08/18/05 04:07 AM Re: "Sight Reading & Rhythm"
GeeTee Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Midwest
I'm hoping (and assuming) that's what we'll see in the next book cause I had the same reaction. However, for my student in question, she cannot handle too many layers at once. That's why I'm going to use the 2a book with her. This book has more varied rhythm patterns, key signatures, and expression. By keeping things in one hand or the other, I think she can get the big picture better.

If the next book doesn't get HT going, I'll be disappointed and my just go back to the 4 Star series.

#17829 - 08/18/05 04:35 AM Re: "Sight Reading & Rhythm"
jaydub2 Offline
Resident Member

Loc: WA
i agree - I liked the rhythm aspect and the use of varied keys.

#17830 - 08/18/05 11:56 AM Re: "Sight Reading & Rhythm"
Whitney Offline
Resident Member

Loc: California
Most of my students have a sightreading book. Some who have a lot of trouble reading have Step, Skip and Repeat. The majority of my students use Sightplay. I have 4 students using these "Sight Reading & Rhythm Every Day" books now--these are all students who have a history of poor rhythm. We've only been in these books a couple of weeks and I'm already hearing improvements in the rhythm of their other pieces. I like that it changes keys often too!

#17831 - 08/23/05 11:37 AM Re: "Sight Reading & Rhythm"
Christine/Pelirroja Offline
Resident Member

Loc: CA, USA
Hey, I'm back for a few minutes. I've been terribly sick with this baby, so the computer was definitely the first thing to go. Anyway, I'm easing back into things now. I just went to Kevin Olson's workshop yesterday. (Promotional gathering should I call it? :-)) Anyway, he explained that the next books will be coming out very shortly one after the other. The levels correlate loosely as follows:
For PA 2A (elementary): 1A and 1B
For PA 2B (late elementary): 2A and 2B (which begins hands together playing)
For PA 3A/3B (early intermediate): books 3A and 3B
For PA 4 & 5 (intermediate): books 4A and 4B, Book 5 is late intermediate.

I think he sticks with single line/bass or treble clef for the first 3 books because rhythm is his number one priority. He wants students to get to where they will not pause as they read and has no mercy when they are to play with him as far as rhythm is concerned. He said that he wants the students to begin seeing the arc of the music, the shapes, intervals, etc. So, perhaps he chose to go slow on the hands together stuff to really get that foundation down.

Oh, and he doesn't do unit counting as in the books, but the Publisher andHelen Marlais won out on that. :-)

Anyway, I ordered one of each level that's out. We'll see. Incidentally, I really liked his other book Music by Me.(I think that's the name, I don't have my sheet here.) I'm going to try that with some of my students who are wanting to do more composing--to help give me some structure to how I approach it.

#17832 - 08/23/05 01:45 PM Re: "Sight Reading & Rhythm"
Carole Offline
Star Member

Loc: southern California
I am liking these books more and more as I study them. I am interested in seeing the upper levels as they come out. A flyer about them came in the mail and there are deep discounts for ordering quantities. I am going to have a few guinea pigs, as I mentioned, and then may decide my students need to add another book to the method.
Christine, I am glad you are back. I hope you get over that "morning" sickness soon. \:\)

#17833 - 08/23/05 08:10 PM Re: "Sight Reading & Rhythm"
Christine/Pelirroja Offline
Resident Member

Loc: CA, USA
Ok, I have no idea where I came up with that other name, but the composition/improv book i was referring to earlier is actually called Music by Me. (I'll edit the first post I wrote)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Archivist 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics