Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#17744 - 06/28/04 02:04 PM Re: Another brand new method
unreal Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: CA
I like Keith Snell personally, and his taste in music too, so I use his collections all the time. The music looks good on the page so it's easy on the eyes, which I guess is something he insisted on. He has a different fingering style from mine, but no problem, I have a pencil. But really, can you imagine any other method series having the plethora of wonderful compositions PA has? I want great music since I have to listen to it every day of my life!!! The Fabers are not only superior teachers, they are superior composers, arrangers and musicians.

#17745 - 06/28/04 02:07 PM Re: Another brand new method
NancyK Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: North Dakota
They certainly are! I love their compositions and arrangements!

#17746 - 06/28/04 02:33 PM Re: Another brand new method
Jalapeņa Offline
Star Member

Loc: New Mexico
NancyK, since you mentioned that CP has no positions to start, I'm going to take another look at it. I already have the books. \:\)

Meanwhile, if you get a chance to look at PT, let me know how the key signatures are introduced. I know that Bastien & Glover, both "multi-key" methods, introduce the key signatures using pieces in 5-finger positions. I used the Glover books in Costa Rica, & most (99%) students had no problems playing out of position after going through all 4 levels of the method. However, a very small % of students experienced major difficulties. Because of this, I prefer to be on the safe side & avoid such problems by getting students out of 5-finger positions as early as possible. The avoidance of positions altogether really appeals to me. I've been harping about this on the PT.com site for a couple of years now.

#17747 - 06/28/04 02:50 PM Re: Another brand new method
NancyK Offline
Mainstay Member

When I get back from the convention I will get on here and share right away what I heard and saw and my opinion on it. I'm tempted to drive over to my local dealer right now and get a look, but I'm pretty sure at convention we'll be given some of the books and can also buy at a discount whatever else we want. I'll probably wait. All I know is they say they utilize the sharp or flat in the piece when introducing the new key. THAT makes sense. Many times I see the key of G but no f is used in the piece so even though the student sees the key signature they don't have to play an f and sharp it. That's OK later but for learning I want it there. OR the piece is in G but no key signature is given, just accidentals. I find this confusing for my students when they've already been taught that 1 sharp means key of G (or e minor). They see no sharp they think it is the key of C. Even with the accidentals on the page I want them to know the tonal center and know they are in G. (Or whatever key). Anyway...I will share what I find out and any others (alidoremi) who are there can share too if they so choose.

#17748 - 06/28/04 03:14 PM Re: Another brand new method
Jalapeņa Offline
Star Member

Thanks, NancyK.

I just ordered the CP teacher's manual. I'm hoping that it will help me understand the method better. I've been waiting for it to be released so I could purchase it. For anyone interested, it's available direct from Frederick Harris Music Co. for $9.95 + shipping (tax is added if you live in CA).

#17749 - 06/28/04 04:50 PM Re: Another brand new method
NancyK Offline
Mainstay Member

I've been waiting for that manual too!

#17750 - 06/29/04 01:23 PM Re: Another brand new method
Jalapeņa Offline
Star Member

I'm hoping the manual will contain lesson plans so that I can better see how the method works, whether or not it has to be heavily supplemented with other materials, & whether or not it will "gel" with PA. If nothing else, I'll probably pick up a useful idea or 2. Don't mind spending $12 for that. I just have a major problem spending $67 for the Piano Town books, just to get a few ideas.

[ 06-29-2004: Message edited by: Jalapeņa ]

#17751 - 06/30/04 11:00 AM Re: Another brand new method
NancyK Offline
Mainstay Member

GeeTee...I'm finally getting back to your question. Since the units in CP are long students usually take 2-3 weeks on a unit. It depends on the student. The solo book usually has 2 (sometimes only 1) song per unit and I assign those after the student is well into th unit or at the end. I tend to go over everything with the student that I want them to do but we don't do it all at lessons. I will get them started on how to go about doing the rhythm drills or exercises they ahve to write but then I have them finish at home. After a unit or two I often leave it to them to do the written stuff at home then I check it. I find this is a good way to see who actually READS instructions and who doesn't. Many kids will say, "I didn't know what to do". I say, "Did you read the instructions right here? It tells you exactly what to do." Sometimes a student might have read and not understood. In any case I try not to do it for them once they see how the book works. I usually go over the music with them and we talk about all aspects of it and what is new. We use teh practice plan. With the solo book I often assign with no explanation and ask them to apply all they know to learning the song. Then they come back and I see what all they can do with it on their own. Some astound me with their ability. Some are totally lost. At least at first. I really hate to spoon feed so I try to get the student thinking and using what he/she has been taught and already doing. It does take longer to get through a unit since they are long and chalked full of things but I find it all reinforcing and thorough. I don't mind taking longer in a unit or longer for a slower student. I had one student I switched to CP when she wasn't learning as I hoped. She just took of with this book and loves it! She did get stuck in one unit on recognizing the 3 C's bass treble and Middle. I still am not sure WHAT was hanging her up but we spent quite a few weeks on this and took longer getting through a unit or two. She's now rolling again and she is still enjoying music study.
Should you decide to use CP I hope it will work well for you and your student.

#17752 - 06/30/04 08:40 PM Re: Another brand new method
Susan Offline
Star Member

Loc: Texas
I went to the music store to look for the primer of the new series and they didn't have it in yet. I'm rather curious about it. Has anyone seen it in their music store?
I haven't found any method yet with music as good as Piano Adventures. So much of the music in the methods is just BAD. Who wants to play it?

#17753 - 06/30/04 08:42 PM Re: Another brand new method
Susan Offline
Star Member

Loc: Texas
In my post above I meant the music in the methods other than Piano Adventures is bad. I don't think I expressed myself well.

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Archivist 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics