Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#17663 - 01/13/03 09:46 AM Re: Supplementing Adult PA book 1
Jalapeņo Offline
Star Member

IMO, books used for sightreading purposes should not have performance CDs available 'cuz some students with will be tempted to listen to the CDs so they can rely on their good ears instead of on their sightreading abilities. If the idea is to develop sightreading, then don't use CDs.

[ 01-13-2003: Message edited by: Jalapeņo ]

#17664 - 01/28/03 06:00 AM Re: Supplementing Adult PA book 1
songbird Offline
Resident Member

Loc: USA
Errrr, regarding using those literature books for students in Adult PA book 1 -- I don't think MOST students are ready for this stuff until book 2. Repertoire seems to give students a harder time than method books. Just my experience. For instance, I have a student playing songs with ease in level 3A, very talented student, but she only just started Book 1 of the FJH Piano Literature Series (early elementray) after spending LOTS of time in the Preparatory Lit book.

I, too, have been pondering the dilemma of how to feed an adult more 'real' music other than method music. I think the only thing I can use with my adult at her level (almost done book 1) is Masterwork Classics Book Level 1/2 (it's combined into one book). And even that is a bit challenging. Unfortunately, by the time a student is finished Adult PA book 1, they are still not entirely comfortable playing with both hands simultaneously.

#17665 - 01/28/03 06:08 AM Re: Supplementing Adult PA book 1
Arlene Steffen Offline
Star Member

Loc: Fresno, CA USA
I find that Frances Clark's "Themes from Masterworks" makes a nice bridge from "method music" to real literature. There are three levels and they are all tasteful arrangements of orchestral and operatic repertoire. Adults usually really like these and there is a good progression in difficulty.

#17666 - 01/28/03 06:21 AM Re: Supplementing Adult PA book 1
Jalapeņo Offline
Star Member

I personally prefer the Developing Artist (Faber) & Masterwork Classics (Magrath) books, both for the selections & for the editing. However, the EKR books are good for sightreading, & I like the spiral binding (HINT HINT).

I think most students are better off with smaller books that they can finish rather quickly & feel a sense of accomplishment. I'd imagine that just looking at the sheer # of pieces in the EKR books would overwhelm a student. Maybe students shouldn't be fully aware of how much literature there is, because it's mind boggling. We teachers know that we're not going to assign all those pieces (there's not time), but a student might not know that.

BTW, the Fabers are working on a series called Adventures in Piano Literature that is going to be similar to the Celebration Series.

[ 01-28-2003: Message edited by: Jalapeņo ]

#17667 - 01/28/03 06:26 AM Re: Supplementing Adult PA book 1
songbird Offline
Resident Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Eric:

The downside is that the Developing Artist books don't yet have a performance cd! \:\(

FABERS? Can we put this on your "To Do" List???

Eric, can you perform them and burn them onto a CD for your students? Or would that infringe on copyright? I'm sure you're more than up to snuff ;\) \:D

#17668 - 01/28/03 06:30 AM Re: Supplementing Adult PA book 1
songbird Offline
Resident Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jalapeņo:

I think most students are better off with smaller books that they can finish rather quickly & feel a sense of accomplishment. I'd imagine that just looking at the sheer # of pieces in the EKR books would overwhelm a student. Maybe students shouldn't be fully aware of how much literature there is, because it's mind boggling. We teachers know that we're not going to assign all those pieces (there's not time), but a student might not know that.

[ 01-28-2003: Message edited by: Jalapeņo ]

I think you'll only overwhelm the student if you make them think they have to finish the EKR books from front to back. It's a great idea to have those 'harder pieces' in the book so you can play for them and have them aspire to playing those 'one day'. Make it an informal goal for them and they will probably be motivated.

My only objection to not using all the songs, though, is the perception that money is being wasted on songs they're not using 'immediately'. Some parents might think of that as a waste too, but then again, some parents don't have a clue how many songs their child has completed in any one given book and don't give a rat's patooty.

#17669 - 01/28/03 06:41 AM Re: Supplementing Adult PA book 1
Jalapeņo Offline
Star Member

Most parents are problems indeed. :rolleyes: So many students are "parentally challenged." \:\( If only we could teach piano without having to deal with parents... Sigh

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Archivist 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics