Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#17587 - 09/05/02 06:03 AM Re: Celebration Series - when to start?
songbird Offline
Resident Member

Loc: USA
 Quote:
Originally posted by GeeTee:
I'm speaking mostly in terms of articulation, phrasing, dynamics, etc. For ex. I learned about terraced dynamics in choir before I did in piano lessons. The way one sings in Baroque or Classical style is the same way a musical passage can be executed in piano playing. It's all about the music, and line, and phrasing, and articulation, and ornaments, etc., etc. Choral music from a given period utilizes the same performance style practices as instrumental music. The vehical for expression is the only difference.

Ah, I see... so you would agree that that sort of background alone is not sufficient for teaching piano? Actually, that is how I teach phrasing to students -- have them sing the melody line, and that has always helped them get it.

#17588 - 09/05/02 06:30 AM Re: Celebration Series - when to start?
Lilla Offline
Star Member

Loc: Chicago
I just finished reading the Life and Music of Horowitz (Schonberg) - a wonderful book, reads like a novel. Horowitz was fascinated by the choral aspect of music - spent his time listening to opera and the great vocalists of his time. He spent his life attempting to duplicate that voicing on the piano. IMO he demonstrates the benefit (excitement) of combining voice with piano.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Archivist 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics