Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#16648 - 07/21/02 09:34 PM Re: Buying Multiple Keyboards
Jason Offline
Star Member

Loc: Iowa City, IA
 Quote:
Originally posted by John:
I have thoroughly embraced a holistic approach to "piano study" that values overall musical development a tad more than pure "pianistic" development and solo performance skills in the early stages (and I didn't say the latter was excluded).

I don't see the connection. Why are keyboards preferable to pianos? I would think that the sound and feel of a real piano would make the whole experience more visceral - especially at the early stages.
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com

#16649 - 07/21/02 10:12 PM Re: Buying Multiple Keyboards
John Offline
Star Member

Loc: Bellingham, WA
Jason,

#1 ~ You really missed the sarcasm here......I was playfully taunting Jala's appliance-phobia and Eric's AVERSION to groups.

#2 ~ I'd LOVE to have 4-8 acoustic pianos for groups, but, alas, I live in the REAL WORLD. \:D \:D \:D

Spelling error fixed for our more ANAL-litickull folks out there.... :p

[ July 22, 2002: Message edited by: John ]

#16650 - 07/21/02 10:32 PM Re: Buying Multiple Keyboards
Jason Offline
Star Member

Have your cake and eat it, too!

I'm seriously considering leaving piano out of the groups altogether and doing nothing but singing/movement for ages 4-6, and then adding private lessons on piano to that around age 7.

(This is of course down the road a bit if/when I stop doing the college thing.)
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com

#16651 - 07/21/02 11:40 PM Re: Buying Multiple Keyboards
John Offline
Star Member

That's exactly what I'm planning to do through Musikgarten's curriculum. Golly, we like Laurie Anderson and think alike here and there. Scary, eh?

#16652 - 07/22/02 07:01 AM Re: Buying Multiple Keyboards
Jalapeņo Offline
Star Member

Quote:
Jason,

#1 ~ You really missed the sarcasm here......I was playfully taunting Jala's appliance-phobia and Eric's ADVERSION to groups.

#2 ~ I'd LOVE to have 4-8 acoustic pianos for groups, but, alas, I live in the REAL WORLD. \:D \:D \:D

Actually, John, I also have an aversion to groups. I think this comes from memories I have of my mother teaching Sunday School to 5-year-olds, & of church members teaching junior church & children's choir. It is not easy to teach a group of kids that age (which I'm sure is why the Kindermusik & Musikgarten folks charge as much as they do); whereas the same kids, when by themselves, can be charming to work with. Of course, John, you're not a parent yet, so you don't know what it's like when you get more than 2 kids together in a group.

I don't frown on using an electronic keyboard as a 2nd instrument. I just don't think it's what kids should practice on to learn to play the piano. :p ;\)

#16653 - 07/22/02 09:33 AM Re: Buying Multiple Keyboards
John Offline
Star Member

I absolutely LOVE teaching children in groups! (and I do this regularly already....used to teach 10 at a time at a local school......so procreation is not the only way to discover the joys and challenges of guiding children to work and play together). Iit is WONDERFUL to send them home also!

(Jala, ain't you proud that I wasn't OCD-ish enough to fix that spelling error in my previous post?)

#16654 - 07/22/02 09:36 AM Re: Buying Multiple Keyboards
Jason Offline
Star Member

Please fix it, it's been bugging me ever since I read it this morning! \:D

www.pianoped.com

#16655 - 07/22/02 09:47 AM Re: Buying Multiple Keyboards
John Offline
Star Member

Two words - :rolleyes: :p

#16656 - 07/22/02 02:36 PM Re: Buying Multiple Keyboards
Jalapeņo Offline
Star Member

Quote:
I absolutely LOVE teaching children in groups! (and I do this regularly already....used to teach 10 at a time at a local school......so procreation is not the only way to discover the joys and challenges of guiding children to work and play together). Iit is WONDERFUL to send them home also!

Yeah! You get to rest after they go home. ;\) That's the difference. When I'm not teaching piano, I have to deal with my own children, with housework, with grocery shopping & meal preparation, & with editing journal articles--in addition to finding new music for my piano students, finding time to practice the piano & exercise 3 times a week. And people wonder why I tend to get jalapenic with parents who expect me to frequently reschedule their children's lessons, as if I have nothing else to do when I'm not teaching piano!

#16657 - 07/22/02 03:26 PM Re: Buying Multiple Keyboards
Shirley Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Denver, Colorado
[ July 22, 2002: Message edited by: Shirley ]

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Archivist 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5