Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#16638 - 07/20/02 12:56 PM Buying Multiple Keyboards
John Offline
Star Member

Loc: Bellingham, WA
I'd like to hear of any recommendations for places to purchase multiple keyboards (6-8). Hopefully one day manufacturers will realize that teachers need keyboards WITHOUT a zillion buttons, but until then I'll take whatever is "priced right"!

I don't think I want to invest more than $1,000-1,500....and the number of keyboards will depend on which site I secure.

Also, do private music teachers get "school discounts"? Any advice on where to look would be great....time to surf!

#16639 - 07/20/02 01:28 PM Re: Buying Multiple Keyboards
Lori Offline
Contributing Member

Loc: USA
John - I don't have any good ideas on where to buy the keyboards, but I DO know that most music stores offer a discount to private music teachers as well as public school music teachers. The norm seems to be around 10%. Have you looked into any music catalogs for buying in bulk? I actually was just looking through a couple of my catalogs here, and came up with a digital piano by yamaha (model YPR50) in a magazine called rock n' rhythm. Go to rocknrhythm.com The order # is RC-YPR50 and it has 76 keys and only 5 voices/buttons \:\) but is 399.00. It comes with a stand and pedal and a few other things. It seemed to be the most reasonable price for what you get. All of the other ones were in the thousands! I can't seem to find any of my other catalogs that have that sort of thing in them now, but will keep looking. Hopefully someone else will have a better idea! Good luck!

#16640 - 07/20/02 03:07 PM Re: Buying Multiple Keyboards
alidoremi Offline
Star Member

Loc: California
Great question, as I have dealt with the same problem and am now in the midst of upgrading my keyboards (thereby creating a new problem).

At my one location I use portable keyboards with 61 keys (Yamaha PSR-240), at the other PSR-170 (or something like that, 49-keys). The bigger ones from Costco ($150 each), the others from Circuit City ($100). I run them on batteries (forget adaptors/extension cords). The batteries last almost ALL year (unless I've forgotten to turn one off after class). One drawback of the portables is all the buttons that little ones will find and remember. I think they're too much of a distraction. What is nice is the variety of sounds, which is great for doing ensembles/orchestration, etc... But these keyboards don't have the weighted keys.

I've tried to find a company that makes a good "classroom keyboard". In the 80's Yamaha made CN-50's, that were more of a desk-like style, with a flip lid when you wanted to play. Perfect for all of the activities of a group piano class. They improved upon them in the 90's with the HA-1's (or something). These were only available to licensed Yamaha schools.

What I've been searching for is a simple, inexpensive keyboard with "semi" weighted keys for my more advanced students. Lori's suggestion of YPR-50 is good and I actually bought one so I could test it and see if I liked it. I was ready to stock my classroom with these, when my local Yamaha dealer told me they've been discontinued. The next level up would be a YPP-200, at $600 a piece.

I've checked into Roland, Suzuki, Technics, etc... and found nothing that's reasonable. You might check on Ebay (there are always YPR-50's for sale) and just build up a collection a little at a time.

#16641 - 07/20/02 03:11 PM Re: Buying Multiple Keyboards
alidoremi Offline
Star Member

Loc: California
Here's a website that has the Yamaha YPP-200 for $500. They're running a special for free shipping (and no sales tax, I think). I've ordered from them before.
http://www.music123.com/

#16642 - 07/20/02 07:03 PM Re: Buying Multiple Keyboards
John Offline
Star Member

Thanks for all of the info! One thing that was discussed at the Gartenloop site is to cover the buttons with a cardboard strip BEFORE the children ever get to see the keyboards.

When I taught a group of 10 after-school kids in a class I had all keyboards hooked up to 1-2 power switches, so I could turn them on and off instantly.

(This "after-school class" was elaborate babysitting......oye!.....2 parents came to pick up kids reeking of alcohol at 4 p.m!! )

#16643 - 07/20/02 07:16 PM Re: Buying Multiple Keyboards
Jalapeņo Offline
Star Member

Quote:
Originally posted by John:
Thanks for all of the info! One thing that was discussed at the Gartenloop site is to cover the buttons with a cardboard strip BEFORE the children ever get to see the keyboards.

Cardboard strip taped down really well with duct tape, I assume. ;\)

Side note: John Dude, I hope you aren't going to use keyboard appliances for PA! :rolleyes: Please assure me that these keyboards are only for preschool piano prep. (before PA Primer) & that parents will be advised to get decent instruments when their children get to PA Primer!

#16644 - 07/20/02 07:39 PM Re: Buying Multiple Keyboards
John Offline
Star Member

YES! Appliances! \:D I have thoroughly embraced a holistic approach to "piano study" that values overall musical development a tad more than pure "pianistic" development and solo performance skills in the early stages (and I didn't say the latter was excluded).

(that line was just to annoy the cranks and non-believers of group piano study)

Jala, students will be able to sight-play through most of PA Primer through Level 2A, so we'll start with Level 2B or so after the classes end.

#16645 - 07/21/02 10:53 AM Re: Buying Multiple Keyboards
Jalapeņo Offline
Star Member

I'm hyperventilating!

#16646 - 07/21/02 12:01 PM Re: Buying Multiple Keyboards
Jason Offline
Star Member

Loc: Iowa City, IA
John,

Take a look at Soundtree. I've been talking to them lately about some stuff for school and they've been great so far! They have good equipment, smart people, and have a lot of experience working with educators.
www.soundtree.com
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com

#16647 - 07/21/02 07:02 PM Re: Buying Multiple Keyboards
dlinder Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: Ohio
John, \:D \:D

Jason, thanks for the link. I usually go directly to Sam Ash, but this is good to know about to be able to compare prices.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Archivist 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics