Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#16604 - 06/20/02 03:32 PM Roland's MT90@ Music Player
Edwin McLean Offline

This nifty little MIDI player is really cool. It's smaller than a toaster and weighs about six pounds. I also boosted it with external speakers that cost me $20 at Radio Shack. Or you can use stereo headphones as well.

I hear that the steet price has dropped to around $375, which isn't much over cost.

If any of you already have one, I have a PDF file that will come in REALLY HANDY. I've put all of the commands onto a single page and captured it as a PDF file. (You can open it with Adobe Acrobat.) If you want your free copy of this file, e-mail me at edmcl@gate.net, and I'll send it to you.

#16605 - 08/09/02 01:19 PM Re: Roland's MT90@ Music Player
Creative Keys Offline

Loc: Canada
I *love* my MT90s! I don't know how I ever taught without one! As of this fall, all new group piano students in my studio will be required to rent or purchase an MT90s for home practice. No MT, no lessons. The students who have one at home learn their pieces more accurately and quicker!

CK
We give your child the keys to success!

#16606 - 08/09/02 02:24 PM Re: Roland's MT90@ Music Player
Jalapeņo Offline
Star Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Creative Keys:
I *love* my MT90s! I don't know how I ever taught without one! As of this fall, all new group piano students in my studio will be required to rent or purchase an MT90s for home practice. No MT, no lessons. The students who have one at home learn their pieces more accurately and quicker!

CK

So students who have a quality acoustic piano at home but no MT can't have lessons? That would leave students like my daughter out. All we have at home is a 52" upright Yamaha piano. We have no plans to buy any type of electronic keyboard or piano. My daughter learns to play her pieces accurately & quickly by practicing. Imagine that! ;\) \:D

#16607 - 08/09/02 03:07 PM Re: Roland's MT90@ Music Player
Samuel Offline
Resident Member

Ditto - Jalapeno, I was thinking the same thing. If I were told to go out and buy a digital piano when I had a lovely acoustic Steinway grand at home, I would tell Creative Keys to take a flying leap and seek out another teacher!
Also I had a problem with the statement that
"the students learn their pieces more accurately and quicker." Really! Wow! I'm going to rush out and buy one now! Maybe the MT90s will cut down on my practice time.

I think Creative Keys is really a sales rep. trying to promote MT90s. SM

[ 08-09-2002: Message edited by: Samuel ]

#16608 - 08/09/02 07:47 PM Re: Roland's MT90@ Music Player
susanmusic Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Hanover, PA
I think the previous 2 posters have a mistaken idea about the MT90S. It is NOT a digital piano or keyboard. It's a stand-alone MIDI player. (See Edwin McLean's original post in this thread.) The MT90S can sit atop or next to an acoustic piano.

Let me hasten to assure you that I am not a sales rep for the Roland corporation. I am a private piano teacher who also LOVES the MT90S (as well as the software version, Visual Music Tutor.)

In my exprerience, MIDI files offer significant advantages over the kind of cd's that are published along with piano teaching books. I find that most cd's, even those with practice-tempo tracks, are just too fast for beginning and early-grade students in the first stages of learning new pieces. MIDI files, on the other hand, can be played at any tempo from 40 to 256. MIDI players like the MT90S offer the possibility of muting certain track or of isolating certain measures in a piece for practice. I believe there is info in the archives about some of the other features.

Of course, MIDI files are not a replacement for cd recordings of great piano repertoire by world-class artists. But that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about Lesson Book accompaniments.

For my own selfish reasons, I'd like to see more teachers using MIDI files. Then, demand would increase and more files would be available for purchase. I think more teachers would use MIDI files if the technology were simpler to use. Along comes Roland with the MT series. Another option is the midi keyboard with built-in disk drive. I haven't gone this route, but I understand that it's another simple-to-operate option.

#16609 - 08/09/02 07:53 PM Re: Roland's MT90@ Music Player
Jalapeņo Offline
Star Member

I did think this was in regards to a keyboard of some sort.

Still, I'm not going to pay $375 for something like that. If a student is so bad off that s/he needs to practice at MM 40 to the quarter note, then something's dreadfully wrong. The practice tempos on the regular PA accompaniment CDs are, IMO, slow enough. I'm not convinced that ultra slow practice is always helpful anyway.

What's more, I'd rather see my piano parents put that $375 towards a better piano.

#16610 - 08/10/02 12:29 PM Re: Roland's MT90@ Music Player
dlinder Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: Ohio
Susan, I agree with you about the practice tempos being a little too fast for my taste; I would like to see maybe 3 tempos on the CD's with one of them being just a little bit slower.
This isn't something I can be in the market for right now, but soon I hope. Thanks to those who suggested it. Most of my students are "techno-savvy"; so I will put it on my list of cool toys for them!! And hopefully get one soon for myself! (Is it too early to start posting "All I want for Christmas, 2002"???

#16611 - 08/10/02 03:12 PM Re: Roland's MT90@ Music Player
Jalapeņo Offline
Star Member

I make my students learn their pieces without the CD before having them practice with the CD. By the time they use the CD, they have no problem playing at the CD's practice tempo. There's a reason why I do this: to make sure they're reading the notes & learning the rhythms, not just playing what they hear on the CD. The CD is a great tool to force them to play with a steady rhythm & to get them to hear the various dynamic levels & ritards, etc. But I don't think it should be used when a student is first learning a piece.

#16612 - 08/11/02 07:25 PM Re: Roland's MT90@ Music Player
alidoremi Offline
Star Member

Loc: California
Is this the contraption where you insert the 3.5 floppy disks that have the background accompaniments for several method books? I saw PA has these disks and I think they're a great idea!

I have a Yamaha CVP-203, a digital piano that has the floppy disk drive. There are so many disks you can purchase that are fun to play along with. Yamaha also makes a PSR-340 electronic keyboard with the same feature. Retails right now for $259 at http://www.music123.com/. It's not as convenient as having a small box atop your piano, but several of my students that already have acoustic pianos bought this keyboard for some fun with the disks.

#16613 - 08/11/02 07:35 PM Re: Roland's MT90@ Music Player
dlinder Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: Ohio
I don't have my students use the CDs for every song. In fact, I don't have them buy the CDs; I loan them out for a week at a time sporadically. Occasionally during a lesson, I will pull them out as a surprise. Or if I send them home, I tell them I want to hear 3 pieces that they choose with the CD the next week (great review incentive!)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Archivist 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics