udgiter" cellpVAsotr: poiaddinIsdexr>
Topic Options
#15979 - 06/29/06 04:51 AM Interpreting judge comments
pat Offline

Loc: Bridgeport, Texas
Recently my students were adjudicated by a guild judge.

This judge didn't like the use of "rubato" in some repertoire (mostly jazz). Though appreciative of these comments, they seemed more directed toward my teaching than toward the student.

Has anybody else encountered comments such as these?

I sometimes find it a bit difficult to discuss scorecard ratings with a student. Occasionally, I almost feel the need to defend my teaching, though I'm always aware of my need to improve.

This judge did make similar comments in the "confidential opinion" sheet. A part of me feels that this would have been enough, rather than fault the student who was only following my directives.

Thanks!

#15980 - 06/29/06 05:30 AM Re: Interpreting judge comments
Lisa Kalmar Offline
Star Member

Loc: KC
What was the exact verbiage used? And how liberal was the rubato? I fear I have possibly been too direct at times when judging, but I only get that way on stuff that is black & white right & wrong. To me, rubato is such a personal thing I wouldn't want to knock a kid for it unless on Bach or something else that obvious.

I was judging in The Woodlands, Texas a few years ago (not Guild) and had a steaming headache after about 4 hours of non-stop students, not to mention the fact I had to negotiate I-45 (i.e. almost DIE) in a blinding tropical rainstorm to get there from Houston. Plus judges didn't get to have a break room because the contest was in the art department of the JUCO and there were some artistic nudes in the collections and someone was worried a child might see one through the glass walls :rolleyes: - this meant if we wanted a cookie and a drink of water we had to do it in a bathroom. Oops, I digress... One studio, apparently, had every cotton pickin' kid play the pedal by raising their knee/leg up in the air at least 6 inches before pushing down on the pedal. I thought I was at the county 4-H fairground! I was so irritated that I wrote, "Keep the heel on the floor at all times when pedaling. You are playing the piano, not operating a tractor clutch." on every single entry. I suppose I should feel bad, but I still don't.... \:o They never had a chance not to ask me back because soon after I escaped the great state of Texas....

#15981 - 06/29/06 05:53 AM Re: Interpreting judge comments
pat Offline

Here is one: "Learn to express your music using more phrasing and dynamics rather than changing tempos".

And another: "Learn to express your music with more tools of phrasing, balance, pedal and less with altering the tempos".

Most of the comments were referring to simple jazz pieces. I had the students on repetitive passages, push the tempos a bit just to combat boredom (if that makes sense).

Of course, my heart goes out to guild judges who must endure so many things that likely go unreported to headquarters. And I do take into consideration that some judges are sent into areas where teachers are rather intimidating to them (which is horribly wrong).

In the over twenty years of sending students to Guild auditions, I've only had to report an unfair judge once. I was careful in my criticism to the area guild chair and almost didn't make that call. Glad I did. Several teachers had already called and complained. This dear lady was having severe emotional problems.

I applaud you for judging. It is a difficult job - one I've never done, but should, so I would be more appreciative of the job you did.

I, too think rubato is individual. I was taught by a master teacher to use rubato, even in some of the Chopin Preludes (very subtle, of course) - her students were top winners all over the state -one of the comments above was made after hearing one of the Preludes.

#15982 - 06/29/06 07:53 AM Re: Interpreting judge comments
VioletBeauregarde Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: Alabama
 Quote:
I thought I was at the county 4-H fairground! I was so irritated that I wrote, "Keep the heel on the floor at all times when pedaling. You are playing the piano, not operating a tractor clutch." on every single entry. I suppose I should feel bad, but I still don't.... They never had a chance not to ask me back because soon after I escaped the great state of Texas....
Just because one teacher taught pedalling wrong (and yes, it should have been commented on as the teacher needs to learn to do it properly before teaching students), but please don't judge everyone in Texas as doing that or making us sound like back country hicks. We aren't!

#15983 - 06/29/06 09:05 AM Re: Interpreting judge comments
MRM Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Washington
Of course, this is difficult because we didn't hear your kids play. When I read your judges comments it seems that perhaps his interpretation of what he heard was that he heard whole sections that were faster and slower than others. So, maybe he was looking at the music and saw some variances in the printed score marked p or f and what he heard was slow and fast...etc...

I think with rubato you wouldn't have a whole section that was faster or slower so much as within a phrase you'd have a pushing and pulling affect with the tempo to add feeling and emotion. So, perhaps the judge was listening for that but heard or felt too jerk and pulled....but like I said, I didn't hear your students so.....

But, I do know that all adjudicators have a different opinion on rubato. My teacher, who's taught for 45 years said she once asked a respected judge what he thought all kids needed more of and he replied "rubato". You know, others wouldn't have said the same thing. It all depends on who's listening.

I had an adjudicator this year and he said the thing he was most impressed with in my teaching was my students flexible sense of time and overall structural conception of each piece. So, this guy obviously like rubato--or at least a perfectly timed rallentando.

Loc: Washington
#15984 - 06/29/06 09:49 AM Re: Interpreting judge comments
pat Offline

Sometimes rubato is heard as being "erratic rhythm" when in fact it is just interpretive. A student whose rhythm is (percentage wise) right on is obvious to teachers and judges.

And on the flip side of rubato is rhythm that is so metronomic as to be stilted.

Bottom line, I still think if a teacher was instilling bad habiam of rure rath
cenat - this mea valigntimf="#nt-s"ce!!class="post-options" valign="bottom" align="right">
pat Offline
Regular Mem5> Mainstay Member

Loc: Alabama
#15984 - 06/29/06 09:49 AM 10:3 Re: Interpreting judge comments
n in fact it is just interpretive. A student whose rhythm is (percentage wise) right on is obvio6so irritated that I wrote, "Keep the heel on the floor at all times when pedaling. You are playing thhington
Tith the tot"consagreee siming aPat!to mentiWhnnP said e in T/05 < hre sim?! because soon after I escaped the great statem"> xas....
\) edited-wording">
pat Offline
Regular Mem6 Member

=mohhto ost_intions"cer cla claig> =mohrece (vefeedbbr al. st_toyss="sigear the feedbbr ost_intions"s="sig, ratheridth=iv clasid="abr />In th er> wrong)r : 22st<"javascary g 42lottassg heWf timm 22ylist o ask me b06, they div>#ee? thcat enmss="pworr4"> >
I haslike rume bbee'sd="15er wasn>
/dgel conldn't top_aas tha othen>
Todge g/> TN O T I sy hir:#5alreadn'!top">Tith thWhen unforiave a country hiiidth="everyon"ass="post-", TexaMTith thWhenditfse)e18/05o.....ir , ahe- h-8">
imprelts to Guustonmstaiheart get to htnever know tintim="edi/05/ound-emotothe piI because soon after I escaped the great statw
ecause soon after I escaped the great statl saixas....D
Pv clas. Tidenmiave o'sdopted/05Pattimo's ific situy div>-hythm ble widbr />I h">Top
ecause soon after I escaped the great statl saixas....D
#15984 - 06/29/06 09:49 AM <5:18 P>Re: Interpreting judge comments
What was the exact verbiage used? And how liberal was the rubato? Is just interpretive. A student whose rhythm is (percentage wise) right on is obvio7"biam hitot"consclosgreepan cst_top_list to ask mohe C06, they seal. I wasubtle, ry subtlhref=mohhan /tr>feedbbr /><"javascary of rure06, they div>#nt- have a bnd he r/> k cour
pat Offline
Regular Mem7 MembQ88keys
#15984 - 06/29/06 09:49 AM Re: Interpreting judge comments
W3"><9>Of course, this is 5 used? And how Mass=sot"beral was the rubato? Is just interpretive. A student whose rhythm is (percentage wise) right on is obvio8so irritated that I wrote, "Keep the heel on the floor at all times when pedaling. You are playing thOhp?iarsonfaultseemedps.pTop > music with more tools of phrasing, balance, pedal and less with altering the tempos".

Most of the comments were referring to simple jazz pieces. I had the students on repetitive passages, push the tempos a bit just to combat boredom (if thtere?ubb=a?ubb=aonal thild ju wiexate"op_ladvic n the mhers woul>the mheath="900rt get to..Tubtid.
an> alteble spted/0rong)vily of /> #ntnt" valignWe aren't!uuston/tabl> we wanny yeatghtly o empos"ents on e jazz div#ntnt"the gla.> >
s Baroqu have a one throughrf'heno>
B fasitt" Afth=iv br />I sometasli's5 < hrnpted/05ren't!wronmple jazz p
B pedaleplied "ru"ents carefapin Preopras in#ntnt"oulttetc"consauwannn thilden.> v br />I someta utclass="post-options" valign="bottom" align="rightlass="post_top_link" valign="bottom"> Toads.php?ubb=cfrmmaheagan fack b.
pat Offline
Regular Mem8er

#15984 - 06/29/06 09:49 AM <1:0 Re: Interpreting judge comments
Sometimes rubato is heard as being "erratic rhythm" when in fbato? Is just interpretive. A student whose rhythm is (percentage wise) right on is obvio9e="t haatth=i e j juesagesheild oneonomic as to bes out d a cootetc/defaombat. musean="2" d a cof="#top wholeheo was seA sdce. Sulailal.Tubtall adjudiges/gramplivascary of state s outleheohto < but sho's i"conslifd likent or g 42ldent. Top
empoclass="post-options" valign="bottom" align="right">
p://p" id="options_control" onclick="showHideMenuoptions_control','options_popup')"> Topic Options judge comments a drky=0span>dirds.pspan>aultse=115165458t: 3px;"> tuxe-deA of senive Topir fullno.css?v=>le="clear: both">
ons_control','options_popup')"> Topic Options judge comments tuxe-deA of senive Topi>hp?ubb=faq">FAQ
#c Options judge comments a drky=0span>dirdoldspan>aultse=115165458t: 3px;"> tuxe-deA of senive Topir fullno.css?v=> Nuxetr: poyle="clear: both"> Active Topics>
Ps?vpatlt-1ight on is ojs?v "100%" claseads.peaine,"="post-content" " /> eh="100me="from4" > cellpadding="0" cFa="pwTly timedMum/ii"cseh="100me="from71" > cellpadding="0" cMy Firl os » eh="100me="from72" > cellpadding="0" cs » s PrivapwTly tapwGuid eh="100me="from5" > cellpadding="0" cTly timedIssueseh="100me="from70" > cellpadding="0" cNsc>T teacherHelp Deskeh="100me="from6" > cellpadding="0" cMotum i100eh="100me="from59" > cellpadding="0" cTly timeds Pedagogyeh="100me="from66" > cellpadding="0" cWe N ratTly timedTip clah="100>eh="100me="from7" > cellpadding="0" cTlchniqu eh="100me="from8" > cellpadding="0" cRody else eh="100me="from10" > cellpadding="0" cTly timedGam5er was="curitiaseh="100me="from11" > cellpadding="0" cEan clCrc="h 42lMve aeh="100me="from40" > cellpadding="0" cTubtB peder abftTly timeeh="100me="from19" > cellpadding="0" cTlchnologyeh="100me="from54" > cellpadding="0" cTly timedSsked a rwtth S's i"c N raseh="100me="from56" > cellpadding="0" cTly timedAd00%seh="100me="from16" > cellpadding="0" cTly tche' Lece eh="100me="from73" > cellpadding="0" csho GlAsaminTly tapw------eh="100me="from61" > cellpadding="0" cKiditle=AsamArlle dSse Ke eh="100me="from63" > cellpadding="0" cTeenitle=Asamer cellpadding="0" cCt=""gedSsked a tle=AsamJas00mSif/05deh="100me="from65" > cellpadding="0" cAd00%dSsked a tle=AsamDeb ofh T. Freemaeeh="100me="from67" > cellpadding="0" cPrc="/ tleAsamerlla Can isl eh="100me="fromc:5">Oce Ar tiop"d------eh="100me="from33" > cellpadding="0" cFa="pw wasFa="pwMum/ii"cseh="100me="from20" > cellpadding="0" cTly timedIssueseh="100me="from22" > cellpadding="0" cMotum i100eh="100me="from28" > cellpadding="0" cTubtB peder abftTly timeeh="100me="from24" > cellpadding="0" cLe> pWe aOemposHelpladySiteseh="100me="from25" oead terc="/ad ter"> cellpadding="0" cRocit"csw wasChe glaseh="100me="from26" > cellpadding="0" cSoftwar the s Tly tcheeh="100me="from27" > cellpadding="0" cSuppbr ascary Byousi wasSoloeeh="100me="from23" > cellpadding="0" cRocjavasatorRvalimeeh="100me="from29" > cellpadding="0" cTly timedTr areeh="100me="from30" > cellpadding="0" cRody else eh="100me="from31" > cellpadding="0" cHumoreh="100me="from32" > cellpadding="0" csedagog a"clPrc=osophyeh="100me="from21" > cellpadding="0" cTs woul'sdLece eh="100me="from34" > cellpadding="0" cEan clCrc="h 42lMve a Educ i100eh="100me="from35" > cellpadding="0" cTlchniqu eh="100me="from36" > cellpadding="0" cAd00%ds Sskeyeh="100me="from37" > cellpadding="0" cP escic nMake iP="#topeh="100me="from38" > cellpadding="0" cS's i"c Ssked a eh="100me="from39" > cellpadding="0" cssi wasKeybv st thm"/ad tdyb" /> mall"> span>User=89ir fullno.css?v=>Ar tiois/> <="0" cp tass="pot on is oh="100%Regula&type=t">Active Topic5984">#c Optioegular
s="tr fullno.css?v=>Swttc>=mohTspan ed Mos g=
rinner">Pwula(oh="100%Regula&);hm".gif">di Regular Memb&type=t">Active Topic5984">#c Optioegular
mall"> span>User=585tr fullno.css?v=>Vmall"> r> H85%a>
User=585span>n= Membspan>a=1span>f=1ir fullno.css?v=>AdatheriecesWatc>ed Usersr> H85%a>
rinner">Pwula(ojsll"> Regular Memb&); hm".gif"> Regular Me8t: 3px;"> =t">Active Topic5984">#c Optioegular
mall"> span>User=20" fullno.css?v=>Vmall"> r> H85%a>
Se H85%a>
ut 20" fullno.css?v=>Vmolas Hclass="tass="te.gif" rinner">Pwula(ojsll"> Regular Me8t:); hm".gif"> Regular Me81: 3px;"> =t">Active Topic5984">#c Optioegular
User=585span>n= Me81span>a=1span>f=1ir fullno.css?v=>AdatheriecesWatc>ed Usersr> H85%a>
rinner">Pwula(ojsll"> Regular Me81:); hm".gif"> Regular Me82: 3px;"> =t">Active Topic5984">#c Optioegular
mall"> span>User=649ir fullno.css?v=>Vmall"> r> H85%a>
homea H85%a>
ut 649ir fullno.css?v=>Vmolas Hclass="tass="te.gif" rinner">Pwula(ojsll"> Regular Me82:); hm".gif"> Regular Me83: 3px;"> =t">Active Topic5984">#c Optioegular
mall"> span>User=609ir fullno.css?v=>Vmall"> r> H85%a>
User=609span>n= Me83span>a=1span>f=1ir fullno.css?v=>AdatheriecesWatc>ed Usersr> H85%a>
rinner">Pwula(ojsll"> Regular Me83:); hm".gif"> Regular Me84: 3px;"> =t">Active Topic5984">#c Optioegular
User=585span>n= Me84span>a=1span>f=1ir fullno.css?v=>AdatheriecesWatc>ed Usersr> H85%a>
rinner">Pwula(ojsll"> Regular Me84:); hm".gif"> Regular Me85: 3px;"> =t">Active Topic5984">#c Optioegular
mall"> span>User=649ir fullno.css?v=>Vmall"> r> H85%a>
homea H85%a>
ut 649ir fullno.css?v=>Vmolas Hclass="tass="te.gif" rinner">Pwula(ojsll"> Regular Me85:); hm".gif"> Regular Me86: 3px;"> =t">Active Topic5984">#c Optioegular
mall"> span>User=20" fullno.css?v=>Vmall"> r> H85%a>
Se H85%a>
ut 20" fullno.css?v=>Vmolas Hclass="tass="te.gif" rinner">Pwula(ojsll"> Regular Me86:); hm".gif"> Regular Me87: 3px;"> =t">Active Topic5984">#c Optioegular
mall"> span>User=650" fullno.css?v=>Vmall"> r> H85%a>
Se H85%a>
homea H85%a>
ut 650" fullno.css?v=>Vmolas Hclass="tass="te.gif" rinner">Pwula(ojsll"> Regular Me87:); hm".gif"> Regular Me88: 3px;"> =t">Active Topic5984">#c Optioegular
User=585span>n= Me88span>a=1span>f=1ir fullno.css?v=>AdatheriecesWatc>ed Usersr> H85%a>
rinner">Pwula(ojsll"> Regular Me88:); hm".gif"> 984"> ">_popup_15984');">pat"showH
Search('menu_control_15 a> lt-1igh " /> addin "" /> "" />
Re>
Top timecher(Lpatlt-1igh d>
New2st s('menu_control_15984'>patlt-1ighjudge comments mall"> span>User=4395">myack broteonte mall"> span>User=436 _Bagz mall"> span>User=4358">430725 mall"> span>User=4357">SKaR mall"> span>User=4355">adagiok5px" c" alig2658 _inner"> < Usersr> .3px;".e="frffli>pat '>eh="group orm> ='Spx;"breloser'>eh="100moead terc'oead ter'de="fro'3'>adraquo; seh="100me="fro'2'>gray> Loeh="100me="fro'1'>b> hm"/ad td 984 cellpadding="i15984ghjudge combb=csfrmack badraquo; srchi/n>C>sAdraquo; srchig= r #esabftUse ct!-- vn="tonuBar1 = new Spry.Weingt.tonuBar("tonuBar1", {imgDown:"SpryAssets/SprytonuBarDownHo t!-- < hre5984tysho --nte.gif" rsiso-utf-8"> c $(docu asc).pan y(funidden(){ c $("a[rel^='5984tysho ']").5984tysho (); }); hm".gif"> !--e enass=osts: 107udge combb=cfrmwww.are op_ralrchi/v v cgiso-_bass "KPow"> < by UBB. ss="posd/bviotd> html>
Fnts< Stats('menu_control_15984'>patlt-1i cellpadlef top"> s("> b>46trb> Fnts b>5771trb> r: poi("> b>62996trb> timesdiv class="postlass="post_tntent" Max On<5:11 P>Re: Interp
pat#15984 - Ma My llers. g=