Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#15965 - 04/17/06 01:21 PM How do I determine...?....
MakeMineMusic Offline

Loc: Texas
How do I determine where to put students in a Recital program. I generally put them in by playing ability (with some exceptions because of age and such), but I have 5 students pretty much on the same level (2B) and they're all relatively close in age and playing in general. Do I now put them in by who has the hardest piece? Or do I just pull names out of a hat. I want to be fair to all 5. Especially since some of the care more about where they're put in the program and some it doesn't really matter at all to them. Any suggestions?

#15966 - 04/17/06 01:58 PM Re: How do I determine...?....
GailS Offline
Mainstay Member

In youre situation Id place the group of 2Bs together and alphabetically. For the ones who care where they are placed that should suffice for the fairness aspect.

#15967 - 04/17/06 02:09 PM Re: How do I determine...?....
xstitch4me Offline
Star Member

Loc: Idaho
The great thing about being a teacher is YOU get to make all of your decisions. You can put students anywhere you like in the recital. Teachers do this many different ways. Some do the whole program alphabetically. Others do it by levels. Some by age. I never let students dictate where they'll be at the recital. I make the program, put name tags on their seats and that's the order we go in. I like to use my advanced at the end to show them off. You always want to end with a bang! The last student is usually the one most remembered. They better be good. JMO.

#15968 - 04/17/06 02:34 PM Re: How do I determine...?....
Susan Offline
Star Member

I put my students by grade level. The ones on the same grade I put by alphabetical order. The exception is the end of the recital, where I give the oldest ones a showy piece.

#15969 - 04/17/06 03:30 PM Re: How do I determine...?....
MakeMineMusic Offline

I agree with ya'll. Just put them in where I feel is a good spot. I guess the ones that care more about where they're placed in the Recital are the ones who work the hardest and their determination level is amazing. One little girl is 11 and been playing 1 year exactly (tomorrow it'll be her 1 year anniversary in playing) and she has caught up to 15 year olds playing 6 months longer then her. At the rate she's moving she'll be past them in 6 months, and the hard part for me is....she's always played before a couple of the students and now she's caught up with them playing pieces that are pretty difficult at the recital and she's doing awesome. I'm struggling the most to find where to put her. She deserves to be farther along, but I'd hate to crush feelings of other students who are working just as equally hard, but aren't as gifted. Am I just being weird about it?

#15970 - 04/17/06 05:14 PM Re: How do I determine...?....
Arlene Steffen Offline
Star Member

Loc: Fresno, CA USA
I try to make the program interesting by grouping pieces around themes rather than levels. This year, my recital will be all works from the 20th Century. I plan on placing them chronologically by decade. Within that context, that gives me room for having a strong opening and a strong ending.

I've really moved away from ordering the recital by levels. So many early pieces are similar in style that it gets boring for everyone. It also puts some pressure or negative feelings on those that aren't moving as quickly. Organizing differently really helps with that.

#15971 - 04/17/06 06:00 PM Re: How do I determine...?....
MakeMineMusic Offline

I love that idea Arlene! Thanks for bringing it up. Though this year I have no themes really that go along. I mean, I have a few, but none that are really "themed" together, but I definitely love that idea.

#15972 - 04/18/06 04:56 AM Re: How do I determine...?....
beth ann Offline
Resident Member

Loc: midwest
My recital is this Saturday, and I just finished the program yesterday. I like to scatter my students so the program is a little more lively. I have two students who are in junior high and more advanced, one is starting the program, the other is ending it. Then in the middle I just tried to mix it up so there was a nice variety.

Our theme this year is "Let's Go to the Movies" and everyone is playing a song from a movie, but they are also performing contest songs, so it should be a really nice mix of music.

#15973 - 04/18/06 05:12 AM Re: How do I determine...?....
Jennifer Online   content
Star Member

Loc: AZ
That is exactly what I do. Give a nice mix. I do like to start with a strong beginning and ending but everything in the middle is a nice potpourri.

I also like to do a theme each year. This year the theme is Piano Olympics which corresponds with the program students participated in this year. Each student will play a piece representing a different country. For group lessons this month they will be making a flag for that country and on the back will be a little write up about something on that country they will share with the audience before playing.

#15974 - 04/18/06 05:32 AM Re: How do I determine...?....
Carole Offline
Star Member

Loc: southern California
I have never done a "theme" recital (other than Halloween and Christmas). Sounds like fun but how in the world do you find enough music for all levels? Unless it is very broad, it would seem hard.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Archivist 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics