Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#15959 - 09/12/04 07:25 PM Re: Recital question
playsteinway Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Mason, Michigan
I have a question myself. I am getting into the pre planning stages of recital for my students. I have 25 and am growing by at least 3 to 7 students a month for the last quarter. I would like to do a spring recital that is "different" from what I have done in the past. I have a wide range of students from age 5 through age 14 in levels primer through three. I would like some theme suggestions for recitals (hopefully different from what I have done in the past)to get some ideas to do something different this time around.

In the past I have done: Classical (most of mine are), American, duets, movies and broadway, sacred, the old west, fifties night, jazz/ragtime recital(it was a USO theme and one of the favorites for everyone) and patriotic.

I was thinking about doing a "students pick" on this one for the first recital and letting them pick a favorite song to play or learn for the program but Im not "set in stone" yet on this. What are some themes you have used?

[ 09-12-2004: Message edited by: playsteinway ]

#15960 - 09/12/04 08:24 PM Re: Recital question
Carole Offline
Star Member

Loc: southern California
A while back someone mentioned having a recital Valentine's Day or around, although guess that is not quite Spring. Wasn't it a dinner theater type of thing? Martin, was that you? Anyway, that would be different and sounds like alot of fun.

#15961 - 09/12/04 08:40 PM Re: Recital question
Susan Offline
Star Member

Loc: Texas
A while back I got the idea I would do a theme recital, and I found enough pieces to do a Seafaring recital, an animal themed recital, western theme, around the world, and around the US. It was fun working on it, and I eventually did a seafaring theme because we liked the music so much. There is so much backlisted music that really, you can find about anything.

#15962 - 09/13/04 08:42 AM Re: Recital question
xstitch4me Offline
Star Member

Loc: Idaho
I had an idea I'm going to try this year. I'm going to give each student staff paper and have them write their own "song". Now, obviously with beginners it may be a one line one handed thing....but I think my advanced will love it. Then I'll try to have each one of them play their piece for the recital in May. Might be fun.

#15963 - 09/13/04 11:19 AM Re: Recital question
playsteinway Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Mason, Michigan
XStitch-
I have done this before as a challenge project and then the kids played at a senior center for mothers day with their composed pieces, but I did'nt think of doing this for an actual recital program..It would be a good challenge for them to use what they learn in theory and playing and applying it to what they compose and would maybe help resolve some of the "jitters" some of mine have about being in front of others to perform. :0) thanks for the food for thought... the wheels are turning here....

#15964 - 09/15/04 12:30 AM Re: Recital question
Arlene Steffen Offline
Star Member

Loc: Fresno, CA USA
In recitals that include a lot of beginning students, we often had the beginners play three pieces; one solo, one duet (with another student) and one of their own compositions. With these students, we didn't want them to write down their pieces because they often came up with much more interesting things if they didn't have to write them down. I'd encourage you to think about that if you are having them compose. There is plenty of time later for them to learn notation skills. Let them just enjoy creating what is in their imagination without getting bogged down by mechanics. I think you'll have a much more satisfactory result.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Archivist 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics