Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#15935 - 09/17/04 01:09 PM to play or not to play
jaydub2 Offline
Resident Member

Loc: WA
Do any of you teachers play at your studio recitals? Parents frequently tell me I should play something at the recitals. But I have mixed emotions about this. What do you do? \:\)

#15936 - 09/17/04 01:35 PM Re: to play or not to play
Carole Offline
Star Member

Loc: southern California
I don't usually unless I know there won't be enough of a program (such as our Halloween or Christmas programs at senior centers). I want the kids to shine. I DO, however, play some during private lessons and group classes. They need to hear their teacher play occasionally and so do the parents.

#15937 - 09/17/04 03:14 PM Re: to play or not to play
Lyndall Offline

Loc: Idaho Falls
I play at the end of every recital (we have 4 per year) plus I play teacher duets at 2 Monster Concerts. It lets the kids shine but then also shows them that their teacher gets nervous & sometimes slips up too!

It also forces me to learn, perfect & memorize music, otherwise I wouldn't have goals to work towards.

#15938 - 09/17/04 03:50 PM Re: to play or not to play
jaydub2 Offline
Resident Member

Loc: WA
 Quote:
Originally posted by Lyndall:
I play at the end of every recital (we have 4 per year) It also forces me to learn, perfect & memorize music, otherwise I wouldn't have goals to work towards.

what types of pieces do you play? only classical or pop/jazz things that the audience would recognize or hymn arrangements...

#15939 - 09/17/04 04:05 PM Re: to play or not to play
PFVTeach Offline
Resident Member

Loc: USA
I think Carole and I have very similar approaches to this topic. Sometimes I play a piece or two at the recital and other times I dont. For the most part I don't because it's the students chance to perform and show what they can do.

I will play at the recital I am doing in spring because Im doing all duets and since I have an odd number I will probably partner off with a student so they don't get left out.

#15940 - 09/17/04 04:32 PM Re: to play or not to play
Lyndall Offline

Jaydub, it depends on the recital. The one in October prepares students for the Sonatina Competition so I also learn a Sonata from the list. The Christmas one I learn a nice arrangement of one of my favorite Christmas carols. The one before Solo Festival is at a development workshop for disabled adults & I play something more lighthearted & upbeat, maybe a short fast Sonatina or an easier piece by contemporary composers (Melody Bober/Jennifer Linn/Timothy Brown etc). In the Spring I play something classical that I was also working on for my teacher's adult student recital.

I'm classically trained & it's what I love to play (& for the most part, teach).

[ 09-17-2004: Message edited by: Lyndall ]

#15941 - 09/17/04 04:34 PM Re: to play or not to play
Christine Offline

I don't play at recitals, unless it's to fill in for a duet. I agree with Carole that the recitals are for the students. I do, however, play at all group classes. I think it's important that the students see that I have to practice too.

#15942 - 09/17/04 06:12 PM Re: to play or not to play
PFVTeach Offline
Resident Member

Loc: USA
I just caught this- four recitals a year?
Don't your students get burned out always having to prepare for performing? It seems that they would. Or do you break it down by levels so only certain students do recital at a given time by rotating?

#15943 - 09/18/04 04:52 AM Re: to play or not to play
Lyndall Offline

Yes it's a busy schedule but I don't think they get burned out since they're preparing music all the time anyway. I just always have to think way ahead to make sure they're learning recital-worthy songs in plenty of time, along with their weekly method book music of course.

It's a different system than the one I grew up with where I only played one recital a year just before the annual exams. Around here there are a million different events for students to enter. Of course mine don't have to enter everything unless they want to, but they are required to prepare for each recital.

#15944 - 09/18/04 10:19 AM Re: to play or not to play
shannonspiano Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: WI
I play at at least one recital a year. I hold myself to the same standards that my students are held too. They have a requirement that says they are required to attend 2 outside recitals and be in one recital. I do the same. At the christmas it's a christmas song, at the spring it's a song that sounds hard usually classical. It's fun to hold to that standard of always preparing something.

[ 09-18-2004: Message edited by: shannonspiano ]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Archivist 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums